News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

15w 40 rotella? firefighter?

Started by rt green, September 04, 2006, 07:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

do you really run 15w-40 rotella oil? during break in? all the time? does it work well?  please respond.
third string oil changer

firefighter3931

Quote from: rt green on September 04, 2006, 07:13:04 AM
do you really run 15w-40 rotella oil? during break in? all the time? does it work well?  please respond.

Absolutely, all my vehicles use rotella, cars, trucks and motorcycle. Heck, i even run it in my lawnmower.  :icon_smile_big: For a more race oriented build, i will be using the VR-1 20/50 Valvoline race oil. The only difference between it and the Rotella is anti foaming agents which are beneficial for high speed operation. If you're racing a lot, the VR-1 would be the better choice but for the cruiser/odd track day guy the Rotella is fine, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rt green

well, that answers that. ok i read somewhere that the 80w-90w for the 4 speed 833 should be a non detergent type. it said that the modern stuff is to slippery and the syncros wont slow the gears as much to smooth shifts. thoughts?
third string oil changer

firefighter3931

I can't really answer that question because believe it or not....i've never owned a 4spd Chrysler product  :P That is going to change, however, as i am gathering parts for a pistol grip installation on my 70 R/T.  :icon_smile_big:

My newer (1990) truck uses a synthetic motor oil in the gearbox...5/30 Mobil 1. I don't know if that helps or not....probably not. Someone with more 4 spd experience will hopefully answer this for you.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rt green

i havent spent to much time serching for non detergent 80 90, but hve been keeping my eyes open. most i've seen have a gl-5 rating. i read this is the stuff that is too slippery. kind of made sense in the article, but, tons of people on this site have 4 speeds, and i havent seen a post with a complaint. i havent done any research on this, but i thought you would know this off the top of your head.  thanks- getting cold up there yet?
third string oil changer

firefighter3931

Quote from: rt green on September 04, 2006, 07:45:14 AM
getting cold up there yet?

Nope, it's still in the low 70's (F)...perfect weather.  :icon_smile_big: I'm heading down to Florida in a few weeks so i'll be back right into the "heat" which is fine.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Steve P.

Better bring your tanning lotion, Ron.. The sun is much more intense here than what your use to..  :devil:

We Floridians stay inside during the summer....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on September 04, 2006, 12:19:16 PM
Better bring your tanning lotion, Ron.. The sun is much more intense here than what your use to..  :devil:

We Floridians stay inside during the summer....

You guys are whimps !  :nana: :lol:

You forget....i'm used to the HEAT ; occupational requirement  :devil:

Ron

Steve P.

It's not the heat, smarty pants.. It's because the sun is closer here in Florida than it is in Canada. Haha,,, we don't have to pipe it in down here!!! Haha......   :devil:

Ok, that sounded funnier out loud than it looks in print!!   ::)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on September 04, 2006, 12:45:14 PM
It's not the heat, smarty pants.. It's because the sun is closer here in Florida than it is in Canada. Haha,,, we don't have to pipe it in down here!!! Haha......   :devil:

OMG...LMAO....how can you argue with logic like that !   :spank: :smash: :moon: :lol: :smilielol:  :cheers:

Ron

Steve P.

Hahaha........  Didn't you know that Florida is the closest point between HELL and THE SUN????  :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on September 04, 2006, 12:53:13 PM
Hahaha........  Didn't you know that Florida is the closest point between HELL and THE SUN????  :devil:

I do now !  :icon_smile_big: Steve, get out of the sun right away...it's clouding perception of reality !  :D :lol:

Ron

Ps. Sorry for the hijack RT Green...we'll stop now....right Steve  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Getting back on track, I seem to recall somebody telling me that the Rotella is changing in additives soon and it will not be a good choice any longer.  Any truth to that?

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

It's okay.  It's not cold here yet either but I'm way south of Ron. ;D

deputycrawford

Ghoste, there is a huge discussion about that in my post "Engine Break In". It is lengthy and informative. I opend a can on that one... :-\
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2006, 01:06:05 PM
Getting back on track, I seem to recall somebody telling me that the Rotella is changing in additives soon and it will not be a good choice any longer.  Any truth to that?

Check out deputy's "cam break in" post for some data and info. I've heard the same thing so it's something we'll need to keep a close eye on.  ;)

Ron

Runner

the desiel oils are goiing to get refomulated real soon.  the 2007  epa specs are requiring a respec. tryucks will be coming with converters on them just like cars. so be careful of the new spec. the fuel is going to take a hit also.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

dodge freak

This EPA stinks-why don't they go after the big oil company's and the factory's ? I live by the Ford steel plant in Dearborn MI , you should see all the smoke pouring out of those smoke stacks the air stinks around the plant also.

I just check on Summit Racing site for the price on RP oil -for the racing 20w-50 its $12.99 a quart plus extra shipping cost cause its oil. Thats around $70 for 5 quarts of oil plus $11 for a K & N oil filter. WOW

Runner

well, thats the nice thing about the racing oils,   or at least the valvoline vr-1 oil. it says right on it that your not suposed to use it in polution controled vehicles. the nice thing about the rotella is the price.

there are alot of things about oils i dont understand,  like if you dont have enough zink its hard on the cam, to much and its suposed to gum up the engine  :-\

Ghoste

That is certainly true about the 2007 emission specs for diesels getting tougher but they have had catalysts on them for a little bit now.  One of the offshoots of the new lower emission spec is that the engines are going to be harder on fuel.  Makes you wonder how much they are really saving.
Good or bad, I have been using ordinary oil in my 67 with the GM OES thrown in.  So far so good, but...

Runner

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2006, 07:52:22 PM
That is certainly true about the 2007 emission specs for diesels getting tougher but they have had catalysts on them for a little bit now.  One of the offshoots of the new lower emission spec is that the engines are going to be harder on fuel.  Makes you wonder how much they are really saving.
Good or bad, I have been using ordinary oil in my 67 with the GM OES thrown in.  So far so good, but...

the company i work for has 18000 power units, and none of those trucks have catalytic converters on them yet. 2007 trucks will ( or thats what we are told) that is with cummins isx, volov, or detroit 60 series power.  they they have had egr systems on for a few years now. 

Chryco Psycho

take any good oil , add Comp cams additive or Gm EOS , I wear a bag over my head when I get EOS , & you will be fine 
Were is the Bag smiley ???

Ghoste

I don't doubt you at all Runner, but I will add that I work for a company that manufactures Class 8 tractors (International) and I have hoisted many a muffler onto the side of a truck that was catalytic.  Not all of them, but many.

rt green

so.........does this mean run a non detergent  80-90w in the manual trans?
third string oil changer