News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

why dose every one want a 2 gen charger.......

Started by REDNECK, August 29, 2006, 04:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71bee

I  like both the 2nd and 3rd gen. Chargers. there are certain unique qualities on both cars. don't care much for the 1st series (aside from their cool interiors.)

you gotta love the sweet racing gas caps on the 2nd gens. they have the killer contoured rear window area and the sweet indentations on the hood and doors.  BEAUTIFUL!

3rd gens have that awesome more defined "coke bottle"shape, have better graphic designs (Super Bee/ R/T) and handle better than the second gens. I only wish that they had continued the winged warriors into the 3rd generation cars. after 71, I think the body styling started to go South.     

just my :Twocents:

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

just finished reading quite a few of the posts.

May as well give my two cents worth. I like the 2nd Gen cars - they have a great styling, and like it or not, the old Dukes show put 'em on the map.

For me, I just love the shape of the 71's. Sure, they'll never be the same value as the 2nd Gens, but I reckon their lines are the best. I love the 70's styling, and to be honest, it seems everyone has a 2nd Gen. It's nice to have something different.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

resq302

Quote from: DarkAngel0816 on August 30, 2006, 08:37:40 PM
Quote from: JimShine on August 30, 2006, 12:01:53 PM
I feel embrassed to say this, but frequently, atleast once a week, I will just sit on my steps and look at that car for sometimes an hour. Looking at the body lines, the dimensions each curve creates, but still has a simplicity. It is not just a cool car, it is a beautiful sculpture as well (hell, they even look great in primer). Just looking at it you have a sense of going fast and it conveys a feeling of excitement.

You are not alone.  I talk to mine even.  lol  I tell it all the time that someday when I have it paid off that I will fix him right up to where he should be.  That I am sorry noone in the past took good care of him, but at least now he has a nice spot in the garage and lol.  yeah.  My friends think I am insane...and maybe I am.

But honestly...I will sit in it at times or just open the garage to look at it more.  Or drive him out of the garage to wash it and wax it just to put it back in for I cannot really drive it too far right now  unitl I get a few things done.

You're not crazy.  Your just exhibiting a case of Mopar-itis.  We all have it.  Join the club!  lol :popcrn: :boogie:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RECHRGD

They were simply the best looking muscle car of the era.  As I recall, the '68 was Motors Trends car of the year for '68.  They got a lot of attention even when they were new (long before anybody heard of the Dukes of Hazard).  My love life improved significantly with that car.  The first generation Chargers just didn't have the sexy body lines and sales reflected that.  When the third generation came out I thought that they had ruined the Charger, but I must admit that they are growing on me now.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

41husk

I have had a few 3rd gens and I have to admitt, I enjoy driving them more (confort) but my 68 is auto on the tree with no AC. but I like looking at the 68 more.  Yes, I have the sickness as well I could spend hours looking at it sit still :rotz:  I bought my 68 Shortly after meeting Cudaken for the first time.  I drove my 72 Rallye clone to his house sat in his garage and stared at his 69 for hours.  The next day I started looking for a 2nd gen,  I had owned 3 before but never finished any of them and only drove one of them.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

DarkAngel0816

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 30, 2006, 09:41:11 PM
is it that pesky volatage limiter giving you grief???

Something is giving grief.  The speedometer is not even working.  I drove it last summer without it, but now I want to have all the gauges properly working before I drive it again.  Than I need to swap out fans...and the thermostat and flush out the radiator...give it an oil change...and that (including the electrical) is only the MINOR work that needs to be done.  lol  Rusted frame hidden well gives me the most grief. 

But one day...it will be driven like hell.
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

4forty

I really can't imagine why?..............

TylerCharger69

Hmmm...me neither...can't quite put my finger on it.......lol....Nice car!!!

DarkAngel0816

I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

TylerCharger69

DarkAngel...the speedo  is prolly  the cable busted..it has nothing to do with the other gauges. (Except for illumination, of course)  But the others...fuel, oil, temp, and alt......run on a little voltage limiter that plugs into the back of the dash cluster....if that goes.....they all go.  I tore all of my electronic gauges and installed manual ones....And  the 1 1/2 inch gauges fit perfectly  and tightly into the holes in the dash face, so I didn't have to alter the original cosmetics....the back section....well....it's all cut up, but you can't see it...lol.   I wouldn't recommend doing that to yours though...unless you wanted to

Dave22443

Tyler,  you got any pictures of your refit dash and guages?  I've often thought about doing that myself but wondered what it would look like.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

terrible one

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 31, 2006, 03:58:21 PM
DarkAngel...the speedo  is prolly  the cable busted..it has nothing to do with the other gauges. (Except for illumination, of course)  But the others...fuel, oil, temp, and alt......run on a little voltage limiter that plugs into the back of the dash cluster....if that goes.....they all go.  I tore all of my electronic gauges and installed manual ones....And  the 1 1/2 inch gauges fit perfectly  and tightly into the holes in the dash face, so I didn't have to alter the original cosmetics....the back section....well....it's all cut up, but you can't see it...lol.   I wouldn't recommend doing that to yours though...unless you wanted to

Do you have any pictures man? I would like to see.

TylerCharger69

I'll have to take some....all i did really was remove the stock gauges...left an empty hole.   I bought the cluster gauges....took them out of the cluster and individually slid them into the existing holes.   No big deal really

derailed

Quote from: resq302 on August 30, 2006, 04:44:40 PM
 And if you ever watched the Horsepower TV show, you would know that Chuck LOVES his Chevelles and for a Chevelle guy to say he loves our Chargers, that must mean something!
I can relate to this. Ive always been a die hard GTO man and have owned alot of Pontiacs. 2 years ago when i bought my Charger I wasnt even looking for one. I had been hunting for the right 67 Goat for 2 years. Ive always liked the chargers body lines as they are similar to the 66-7 GTOs. When I happened to stumble across mine I couldnt turn it down and also find myself staring at it in the garage.

NHCharger

Quote from: genlee1970 on August 30, 2006, 09:58:23 PM
...and you 3rd gen guys, chill out.

??? ???, huh. I don't see any animosity or ill will here. I see some pretty funny answers and some type of strange car fetish that would give Sigmund Freud enough material for a new book (if he hadn't died 67 years ago).

I do agree 110% that at 41 years of age Shania Twain looks good from any angle :yesnod: :drool5:

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

genlee1970

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 30, 2006, 10:02:17 PM
Fender Strat???  PEEEYOOOOO!!!!!    Jackson or Gibson is the way to go
I know. The Fender Strat is such a cliche. I was just using it to make a point....kind of has that hour glass shape. The Jacksons (excluding the "V") are the same body style but lend themselves better to metal with the humbuckers and cooler headstock. I'm partial to BC Rich myself, Warlocks rule. I sometimes just stare at my custom made, US built, neckthrough design,Warlock bass guitar, a work of art in it's own right. Looks like the one Nikki Sixx used to play during the Shout at the Devil era....and it plays well....it should for the price!!!! Anyway, this isn't guitarworld.com.......but a cool design is a cool design, period. Now, I've got the second gen Charger, the BC Rich Warlock....anyone know Shania Twains phone number???    Al
ps: I'd settle for Hillary Swanks number.  ;)

genlee1970

Quote from: NHCharger on August 31, 2006, 07:57:46 PM
Quote from: genlee1970 on August 30, 2006, 09:58:23 PM
...and you 3rd gen guys, chill out.

??? ???, huh. I don't see any animosity or ill will here. I see some pretty funny answers and some type of strange car fetish that would give Sigmund Freud enough material for a new book (if he hadn't died 67 years ago).

I do agree 110% that at 41 years of age Shania Twain looks good from any angle :yesnod: :drool5:

NO, no ill will at all. I do believe that the third gens had higher production numbers and I've heard that fact cited as proof that they were better than second gens.....blah blah blah. Most people of that opinion forget that the 2 door Coronet was dropped for 71 so anyone wanting a 2 door Dodge intermediate had no choice but a Charger, hence the higher numbers.  It's all good man. My friends are into 71's big time. I've driven them and they are nice. They just don't inspire me the way the second gens do.
    Is Shania really 41. For some reason I was thinking 40. Her birthday was this month right? Anyway, keep up the good work Shania. My number is 728-...............!!!!

73chgrSE

bull

Quote from: genlee1970 on August 31, 2006, 08:12:00 PM
NO, no ill will at all. I do believe that the third gens had higher production numbers and I've heard that fact cited as proof that they were better than second gens.....blah blah blah.

Yes and no. The '68 had the 2nd highest production number of the three generations behind one year (and I forget which year) of the 3rd generation Charger. Don't ask me to quote my source because I don't have it. I'm going by memory here, and I hope it's working right now.

Brock Samson

bull

Here's what I found (check my math if you want):

year - units sold
  '66 - 37,344
  '67 - 15,788
  '68 - 92,434
  '69 - 89,199
  '70 - 49,768
  '71 - 73,785
  '72 - 75,594
  '73 - 119,318
  '74 - 74,376

Source: http://www.71superbee.com/TheCharger/

Basically the '68 and '69 sold better than anything except for the '73, which I find very curious since '72 basically marked the end of the performance era in the Charger model (and the rest of the world) due to new emissions standards. Maybe it was all the luxury features, who knows. At any rate, 1973 was a very good year for the Charger, especially the SE version with a whopping 61,908 units being sold. I also find it odd that the '70 had the third-worst sales numbers of them all. :shruggy:

Lowprofile

Quote from: 4forty on August 31, 2006, 03:16:03 PM

One of the Sweeeeeeeeeetest Chargers I have ever seen!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

71bee

Quote from: Lowprofile on September 01, 2006, 01:10:04 AM
Quote from: 4forty on August 31, 2006, 03:16:03 PM

One of the Sweeeeeeeeeetest Chargers I have ever seen!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:
yeah, now all we need is Steve Mcqeen's '68 rustang parked along side it! :icon_smile_big:

Chris G.

Quote from: bull on September 01, 2006, 12:45:32 AM
I also find it odd that the '70 had the third-worst sales numbers of them all. :shruggy:

The 'Cuda and Challenger sure didn't help Charger sales. The Duster was new as well. I can't say for sure, but I'll guess all b-body sales were lower in 1970. They were on their 3rd year of production (in that style). I guess it's only natural to dip in sales by then.

I have always been puzzled by that huge '73 figure. I think it was like 105K cars sold. Were they giving them away? What was the catch?

41husk

insurance and others (gas crunch) were putting pressure on manufactures to stop the muscle car wars.  Chrysler actualy held on through 72,  I think price was probably the big thing behind Charger sales,  the base model was relatively cheap compared to Ford an GM.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up