News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power upgrade

Started by Rocking Ghost, August 23, 2006, 05:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocking Ghost

Hello,

I'm new on the forum, much good material here..

I have a `68 Charger with 383, 727 and 8.3/4 with 3,23.

All standard as far as a know except for headers, performer(not rpm) intake, and a edelbrock 600 carb (1405). The ignition is standard electronic with a accel coil. I run on 255/60-15 in the rear.

The engine puts out about 290 Hp. I need more power!!

I guess the best way will be a larger engine, i think the 470 based on a 400 block seems very interesting, but i guess a 440 would do the job.

I use the car as a daily driver and want a engine with lots of low rpm power, low maintenance with a decent gas milage that will last for many years. 

Will a 400 based 470 wear out faster than a 440 in street application? (with about the same power output) Or will it perhaps last longer due to lower rotating weight??

If I go for the 470 i want to use as much parts as possible from the 383 to hold cost down. I can always change the parts later later. Witch parts would be bad to reuse? (I'm not building a race engine but i want a big difference to the 383. And I don't want it to break down..)

Chryco Psycho

you need more stroke to get more torque , the  440 or the stroker 383/400 are  far better engines for producing torque

deputycrawford

The stroker 400 will allow you to use all the original accesories, and the intake you already have. That could save you money. I would get rid of that intake anyway. Its worse than the stock one. The Performer RPM is a MUCH better intake. Its a tough decision. A 440 with a steel crank will serve you well and is easy to repair. The stroker 400 might need specific needs. the choice is yours.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Rocking Ghost

Specific needs? For example?

I have to buy a new cam for the 383 because the old one is worn down, what should i buy?

Ghoste

I'm thinking you might be happier with a well built 440.  If you want a 470, there is almost nothing you can use from your 383 so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  The few things which you could interchange, you'll probably have on the 400 you'll need to buy.  The 440 should be a cheaper engine to rebuild in this instance.

Mike DC

One of the concerns that the author of the thread listed for this engine was "gas mileage" for its "daily driver" usage . . .

A 470" or 500" stroker is a bad joke in terms of gas mileage.  (Heck, anything over 440 inches will probably put the car below 10 mpg in real-world usage.)  The 440 is a little less bad, but nothing I would call "decent" for a daily driven car.

Chryco Psycho

need a Lot more info to pick a cam + the cam would change depending on the size of the engine so you really need to start there

Rocking Ghost

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 25, 2006, 06:01:20 PM

One of the concerns that the author of the thread listed for this engine was "gas mileage" for its "daily driver" usage . . .

A 470" or 500" stroker is a bad joke in terms of gas mileage.  (Heck, anything over 440 inches will probably put the car below 10 mpg in real-world usage.)  The 440 is a little less bad, but nothing I would call "decent" for a daily driven car.

I realize that a larger engine need more gas but I dont want it to take 3 times as much gas as the 383. I never thought it would have the milage of a Toyota.

With a daily driver I mean that I like to drive it everyday without tearing it apart a couple of times/year.

I thought the 470 would be a alternative but I guess I will go for a 440.

Will I be able to use the 383 headers? I dont know the brand.

Ghoste

You should still be able to use the headers.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on August 27, 2006, 08:59:15 AM
You should still be able to use the headers.

:iagree: Allmost all headers built nowadays are designed to fit with either a 383 or 440. In most cases the headers fit better with the taller 440 block and don't hang down as low.....better ground clearance.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Of course, it also brings them a little closer to the starter.  :icon_smile_big:

Rocking Ghost

OK Thanks!

I went looking at a 440 yesterday, I think I'm going to buy it.

I checked the numbers that I could find and it is a -68 engine. That should mean that its a steel crank and 10.1:1 comp?

Do a Edelbrock RPM intake and Edelbrock 750 sound like a good choice? Any suggestions witch cam i should use? 

I cant find the VIN code on the engines, i have looked on the right side of the engine block and behind the oilpressure sending unit.

I want to know if my 383 is matching numbers to my car (then I will not get rid of if), how do I check this if the VIN is missing?

Thanks for all the help!

deputycrawford

If that 440 is a 68 engine and had not been rebuilt, than it should be a steel crank with 10.25 to 1 comp engine. Are you missing your VIN on your dash, or the VIN on the block? If you don't find the VIN on the passenger side of the block, at the oil pan level, then it might be a warranty block. Either way, keep it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

68 only had the ID # stamped on the rear belhousing flange on some engines
the Eddy performer intake will make less power then the stock iron intake , I owuld use the stock dual plane , a Holley Street dom part # 300 - 14 as a replacement
I am alos not a fan of the eddy carbs , the 750 Thunder avs style acrb is better then the afb style  but I would use a Holley 750 -850 cfm
for a cam racommendation I need a lot more info , But I do use a lot of Engles Hyd cam grinds with great results www.englecams.com 

deputycrawford

The edelbrock RPM intake is a great one. The performer only intake stinks. I run a Demon carb, which is a Holley based carb. They are great carbs, the Holley based ones that is.

Rocking Ghost

Quote from: deputycrawford on August 29, 2006, 01:07:12 AM
If that 440 is a 68 engine and had not been rebuilt, than it should be a steel crank with 10.25 to 1 comp engine. Are you missing your VIN on your dash, or the VIN on the block? If you don't find the VIN on the passenger side of the block, at the oil pan level, then it might be a warranty block. Either way, keep it.
I have the dash VIN, but i cant find it on the 383 in my car or the 440 that I purchased today.
I think i'm going to switch engines this weekend, then I will clean them up and try to find it.

myk

Quote from: deputycrawford on August 29, 2006, 02:15:49 AM
The edelbrock RPM intake is a great one. The performer only intake stinks.

I hate my intake... :icon_smile_blackeye:  I remember when I first replaced my stock cast-iron intake with the Performer, I noticed that the car couldn't chirp the tires going into 2nd at WOT any longer.  I remember thinking, "Oh F**K..."

I'd really like to try out that Weiand intake...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Rocking Ghost

Quote from: myk on August 29, 2006, 03:17:42 PM
Quote from: deputycrawford on August 29, 2006, 02:15:49 AM
The edelbrock RPM intake is a great one. The performer only intake stinks.

I hate my intake... :icon_smile_blackeye:  I remember when I first replaced my stock cast-iron intake with the Performer, I noticed that the car couldn't chirp the tires going into 2nd at WOT any longer.  I remember thinking, "Oh F**K..."

I'd really like to try out that Weiand intake...

Do you have the Performer only or the Performer RPM?

deputycrawford

I think you are asking me. I have the Preformer RPM intake. I have had it port matched and "Sport Ported" as my engine builder says. A "Sport Port" is where he ports it just enough to smooth the runners and take any burrs, or cast flashing out of it. It looked good. I have to run a drop filter on the car but I wouldn't give that intake up for anything. Good torque and part throttle response. Good top end too. There are other intakes that match it but I find the RPM readily available. You can even grind the lettering off the intake and paint it stock color. It fools some people.

deputycrawford

I just noticed you were asking MYK sorry. My  :Twocents: anyway.

Rocking Ghost

Quote from: deputycrawford on August 31, 2006, 12:31:48 AM
I just noticed you were asking MYK sorry. My  :Twocents: anyway.
Thanks anyway! I've heard good things about the edelbrock RPM, I wonder why MYK's intake doesn't work well, perhaps he don't have the RPM.

Ghoste

Pretty sure Myk has the regular Performer.  I had one too and I also found it to be a poor replacement.  It came off quite a while ago and a Holley Street Dominator went on in it's place.

RDR-838

I've got the regular Performer on my 383 automatic and it runs terrible. Feels like a 2BBL 318. I've got 4:10 gears and a Holeshot 2400 stall torque converter. Which intake would you guys suggest I use to improve performance ? 

Ghoste

deputycrawford

Ghoste, I mentioned earlier in this post that a 470 low deck will use all the old accesories. I meant the brackets and pulleys  etc. I believe that the 440 brackets were slightly different to make up for the taller deck height. The distributor was also longer on the RB decks. I wouls still spend the money on a 440 build, even with the extra cost of the bracket situation myself. :Twocents: