News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

electronic distributor with no advance?

Started by 73-charger-383, August 20, 2006, 09:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-charger-383

My 73 charger has the original electronic distributor set up(with the ECU and the whole works), from the 318 that was in the car originally.  Now i've swapped it out for a 383.  The car runs and everything, but it seems i'm a little low on power.  -does the setup for a 318 have the juice to fire a 383?  Also i have no idea what the distributor that is currently in the 383 is out of.  The block is from a 68, but distributor is electronic.  -there is no vaccum advance on it either......does any of this make sense?

John_Kunkel

The 318 ECU will run the 383 just fine.

An electronic distributor with no vacuum advance is either an MP full centrigugal or a later Lean Burn unit. The Lean Burn distributor has a dual pickup internally and 4 wires instead of two exiting the housing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

73-charger-383

is there another option John?  It looks like a factory distributor, but only has the two wire "bullet plug".  Should i just replace it??  What would you suggest?

thanks

Ghoste

The MP unit would be two wire.  Is there a part number on it?

73-charger-383

the only numbers i could find with a quick glance were on a copper tag
with 33 7 in smaller numbers above it.

Chryco Psycho

with no advance curve it will be down on power
a local parts store should be able to get you a reconditioned 400 unit with advance for a reasonable $$ or Mopar has new units for a lot more$$

Ghoste

That seems like it could be a Chrysler part number but I can't find the application in the material I have here.  It doesn't look to be a current MP number for a distributor.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 73-charger-383 on August 21, 2006, 08:44:13 PM
the only numbers i could find with a quick glance were on a copper tag

4091709 is from a '78 passenger car 400, originally a Lean-Burn.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

73-charger-383

what do the two extra wires go to??  -does this mean my distributor is basically junk??  --and why the heck would someone pull the advance off of a distributor anyways?

Chryco Psycho

lean burn dist never had advance mechanism , it was done by the computer

Ghoste

The extra wires were for the other pickup and at one time, they would have had a bullet type end on them as well.  There was a run pickup and a start pickup in the lean burn distributor.  Some people alter the advance mechanism inside the lean burn units as a low buck approach to going electronic without vacuum.
It it easier to swap it out for the newer MP unit.