News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 questions (MSD box) and (Timing question)

Started by 73chargercali, August 16, 2006, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

first question i saw that the mopar performance multi spark box has a rev limiter, so which box is better the MSD 6AL box or the mopar one? i remember someone was saying the mopar one was a waste of money on the forum but i don't know why.

second question is when racing, you get better performance when you advance the distributor or am i wrong.
right now i have my timing set at 12 degrees before on a new MP distributor with nothing modified what would my time be for the total?

any help will be very appriciated.

dodge freak

Not sure what you are talking about. Do you mean the stock and stock look mopar units - Orange, chrome. ones or the MSD boxes that Mopar had its name put on them?
The MSD units as far as I know are the same, just the mopar ones are black and say mopar. They came in the 6 and 7 boxes. I like the 7 box better but the 6 is still better than the orange or chrome box from mopar. Mopar must have know that, so thats why they let MSD put their name on it. I have MSD but not the one that say Mopar but as far as I know its the same. MSD tech told me so.

deputycrawford

Dodge Freak beat me to it. The Mopar multiple spark box IS an MSD. They are both better than the Orange box. As for your distributor; I would call Mallory and see what the stock mechanical advance setting is on the distributor. Mallory does make them for MP now. Your engine will have its very own requirements for its timing so buy a dial back timing light and go at it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

73chargercali

i was just wondering if there was a difference in the spark output or quality. the reason why i asked was the mopar one is $10 cheaper and i didn't want to be suckered into buying a lesser model.

does the dial back timing light do the job of a timing tape or would i still need the tape for it?

deputycrawford

The dial back timing light does the job of the timing tape. Adjust it to; lets say; 35 degrees on the light. rev the engine to the max advance the distributor allows and set the timing at 0 degrees on the balancer. That means that the timing is at 35 degrees total timing. Dial back lights are awsome that way.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

73chargercali

ok thats great, where could i get one i don't think i've seen one at kragen.

thanks for the info btw.

dodge freak

You might want to check with MSD tech on timing lights, not all types work with a MSD box, they flash but not at the right time. Mine doesn't unless I swap the stock coil from the MSD coil still use the MSD box, don't know why. Timing tape falls off, mine did.

myk

Right.  Leave the tape for the X-mas decorations and go with a dial-back timing gun, or spend a little more and get the one like mine, the Equus 3658 which features a tach on the LED readout.  Dialing in advance or retard is accomplished by the simple push of a button...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

73chargercali

ok thanks for the help i'm getting the msd 6al box and i'll just get some racing fuel to make sure i don't get any detonation. i just wanted some extra power for 2 or 3 races.