News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Drum Hub Assembly

Started by Dodge Don, August 12, 2006, 10:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge Don

I have new front drums and I got one of the hub assemblies off the old drums but I'm having no luck with the other...won't budge.

Any suggestions?

If it comes down to it, anyone know where I can buy a new hub assembly for a 70 Charger?

RD

1)  spray the area around the studs with PB Blaster or some rust inhibitor

2) use a ball peen hammer and hammer between the studs to break up any rust that is binding the drum to the hub

3) you can use a torch to heat up the area while you are banging on it with a hammer

4) use two prybars on opposite ends of the drum and pry towards you in either a clockwise or counterclockwise rotation

5) DO ALL THE ABOVE TILL THAT SONGUN COMES OFF :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

John_Kunkel

The front wheel studs are swedged in the brake drum, pressing/driving them out without first cutting away the swedging can damage the hub.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

y3chargerrt

I changed my front drums recently. I pressed out the old studs and pressed new ones in. The hub to drum doesn't seem to fit together as tightly as I would like it. Is there a tool to swedge the new studs to the hub?

Dodge Don

I've got my buddy at a Chrysler dealership pressing them out for me. The hub that came out easy had studs that were not swedged. The one I'm having pressed out has swedged studs.

Skyview69

Quote from: RD on August 12, 2006, 10:57:42 PM
1)  spray the area around the studs with PB Blaster or some rust inhibitor

2) use a ball peen hammer and hammer between the studs to break up any rust that is binding the drum to the hub

3) you can use a torch to heat up the area while you are banging on it with a hammer

4) use two prybars on opposite ends of the drum and pry towards you in either a clockwise or counterclockwise rotation

5) DO ALL THE ABOVE TILL THAT SONGUN COMES OFF :D

I agree with #3 above.  Use the torch - almost red hot and then tap with the hammer and it will pop right off.

Dodge Don

Already done by my buddy. Thanks though.