News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Making my own headlight wiring harness...

Started by martinihenry, August 07, 2006, 02:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinihenry

I finally removed the grill assy from my Charger the other night...what a pain in the arse that was. Reminds me of when I removed the instrument cluster! My plan is to do the full-pop restojob on it, like we've all seen in the fantastic posts here on the forum. I've got my argent silver, and other paintwares on order from Eastwood. The reason I decided to undertake this hellish job, is because my headlights started popping fuses some time ago. A visual inspection revealed some seriously chaffed wires in the headlight harness, like this one...

Browsing around at pricing of headlight harnesses, I have decided to undertake making my own. I'm probably a glutton for punishment, but it is against my nature to spend $200 on $10 worth of wire. The car will never be a Barrett-Jackson factory correct restoration, so I don't really care about it being correct, but I do care about it working better than the factory wiring, which I find to be pretty low-grade stuff.  I plan to use larger diameter wire than the factory stuff, which looks to be 16 ga. I will use 14 ga. I'm am a bit confused about the male spade terminals in the connector though. I'm assuming I should be able to carefully remove the old, nasty male spade terminals (see below) and simply solder onto, and slide in some new ones. However, after a couple hours worth of fruitless searching on the intenet, I can't seem to locate ones that look correct. These don't appear to be your garden-variety male spade connector.

Same question on the headlamp connectors, I plan to clean up, and re-use the plug, but need to replace the female spade connectors inside. These seem to be non-standard also...made to accomodate two wires, instead of just one.

Last but not least, the bullet connectors for the turn signal lamps. Finding individual bullet connectors isn't a probelm, but does anybody know of a good source for the combination ones like this?

1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

73 Charger 440

Ive seen the "butt connectors" at different places, cant remember where exactly now. Its very similar to the style used for trailors.

2Gunz

Really the thing to do here is clean up what you have.

Then use that to "trigger" some relays for the headlights.

The headlights will be much brighter and ease the strain on thie 30+ year old wiring and bulkhead connectors.

One of many posts about this.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html

Ghoste

I don't know.  That wiring could be oxidized a long way up into the insulation.  I agree on the headlight relays but I'd replace the rest.  I'd take the easy way though and get a reproduction harness but that is just my choice.

Back N Black

I made my own headlight wiring harness and for the headlamp connectors I bought new ones at UAP/NAPA. It comes complete with plastic holders.
For the male spade connectors I found them at a local electrical shop that rebuilds alternators and starters.
Hope this helps.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: martinihenry on August 07, 2006, 02:01:48 AM
I'm assuming I should be able to carefully remove the old, nasty male spade terminals (see below) and simply solder onto, and slide in some new ones. However, after a couple hours worth of fruitless searching on the intenet, I can't seem to locate ones that look correct. These don't appear to be your garden-variety male spade connector.

www.chargerspecialties.com have them

Same question on the headlamp connectors, I plan to clean up, and re-use the plug, but need to replace the female spade connectors inside. These seem to be non-standard also...made to accomodate two wires, instead of just one.

terminals are the same, just crimped very carefully and detailed to be able to catch every wire with every tab.
sold by same dealer

Last but not least, the bullet connectors for the turn signal lamps. Finding individual bullet connectors isn't a probelm, but does anybody know of a good source for the combination ones like this?

maybe the same source, or maybe they can pointing you out where. Elec ign uses that same plug at distribuitor. 71s use them on parking lights and all 3rd gens to link one tail light assembly with the other one behind license plate.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

martinihenry

I've already done the headlight relay upgrade. That's why I didn't want to buy a new, expensive harness...I'd wind up cutting into it to keep my relays.

There's no way in Hell I'm going to reuse the existing wiring...it's all poo. The insulation is very, very brittle. Move, or bend a wire too much, and it starts cracking. In a few of the wires that have cracked, there is oxidization running up the copper wire. No, this wire has served out its useful life.

Looks like I've got some parts hunting to do.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Shakey

Spend the money and order one from Year One.  I think they are only about $150.00 - $200.00 USD.  Look around for the 20% off code and save some bread. 

By purchasing one from them and spending the money, you will save a ton of time and agravation.

chargerhunter

:iagree:

Making minor repairs to a dash harness or in your case headlight harness I agree with. You will spend hours of your valuable time building a harness when you could spend it else where on your car.
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Chryco Psycho

you could install relays at this time & remove the load from the headlight switch & bulkhead connector, the headlights will be brighter too 

nick_iam

i give ya big thumbs up for digging into this yourself =D

oh, and  Nacho, oh my gosh, THANKYOU! i have been searching for those correct connectors for 3 1/2 years!!

hey, get a good seal on those new connections by using shrink tubing, the stuff made by 3m is the best. dont get the shiny crap from local parts stores. this guy has the good stuff if you cant find it locally   www.madelectrical.com  also carries general connectors and stuff without those pos ugly looking color coded plastic covers.
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: nick_iam on September 27, 2006, 12:38:43 AM
oh, and  Nacho, oh my gosh, THANKYOU! i have been searching for those correct connectors for 3 1/2 years!!

WOAH!!! Year One sells kits of those since ever, with insulators caps, female and male terminals. Of course if you don't need the plastic caps/plugs then you will spend some extra money for some you don't need. I think also any restorer dealer have them.

Anyway, glad I could help.