News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It RUNS and now I have a BIG BLOCK

Started by greatwn73, August 05, 2006, 09:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatwn73

First off let me tell you I am not a technican but think I have some mechanical knowledge,so taking on this step of my Charger was a bit intimidating. I've owned this car for three years and each year I try to do a project but be able to use the car during the summer months.The first year was body, paint and mechanical safety.Last year was the interior and electrical(rally dash ,console shift etc.). This year the 318 had to go and although it ran well ,it was always the plan to step up a bit.I started this in May but job,wife and kids made it tough to work on every day not to mention the number of things that didn't fit that should have.
   The follow pics were taken through the process and I thought I'd share

greatwn73

more prep work

greatwn73

it nears completion

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

greatwn73

It started and ran on the third try and after repairing two minor coolant leaks I drove it to my local garage where he set the timing and checked my work I drove it home and put on the hood, bumper and grill and have put about 25 miles on this afternoon. The first thing I did was take a corvette owning friend for a ride(after the kids).
  There are probably a number of things I've done wrong but except for the engine machine work and transmission rebuild I've done this myself and learned as I went.
   I'll change the oil tomorrow and get some miles on before Moparfest in two weeks (1000 km trip)

blackcharger

Quote from: greatwn73 on August 05, 2006, 09:24:09 PM
  There are probably a number of things I've done wrong but except for the engine machine work and transmission rebuild I've done this myself and learned as I went.

and you can't beat that feeling. looks like you;re doing a great job.
Thanks for sharing.

mopar_madman

1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

AirborneSilva

Great job and thanks for the pics, now when you get your burn out pics post them too  :thumbs:

MassCharger73

Great job! Looks like it was born there.
1973 Charger

dkn1997

I love that color too!!!  that copper/bronze color is making a huge comeback.  hated it when I was young, but now I think it's killer
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 06, 2006, 09:29:58 AM
I love that color too!!!  that copper/bronze color is making a huge comeback.  hated it when I was young, but now I think it's killer
:iagree: It's definitely growing on me too. :yesnod:

Great looking results on your project, congrats! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

greenrt_se

greatwn73

Thanks guys ,just got back from a run down the hwy and everything stayed in one piece. There isn't much in the bottom end(hwy gears) but up over 2500rpm it is everything I expected. I live out in the country so held it in second gear all the way in our road (5miles) and the sound makes me feel like a teenager all over again.

Silver R/T

nice job man, you did great job on fixing it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SeattleCharger

Oh man, that looks so awesome.  The before and during and after pics really show the difference, painting the compartment itself looked great, then you scroll down and see the new looking 440,   :thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Moparman01

Very cool man, did a great job!! I just went through the same project myself. I've had my General Lee for quite a few years now and finally this spring decided that it was time to pull out the 318/904 and upgrade it to with a built 440/727 combo. I must say it has been a nightmare of a job, had LOTS of problems!!! First was with the headers i installed, they didn't clear anything, then the motor leaked oil tremendoulsly out of the oil galley plugs in the back of the motor due to the fact they were not properly sealed so the engine had to come back out after gettin it all up and running, plus the headers fried the B&M shifter cable under the car so that had to be changed and it almost did but luckily didn't hurt the tranny. I've now thrown away the headers and put a set of HP manifolds on, much happier with them over the headers. I've had a bunch of electrical problems too that have helped keep the car off the road as well. It's all back together now and hopefully this week i can have the exuast fixed under the car to make it driveable. I started the project in March and here it is now August and it may finally get back out on the road. Hope you had better luck with yours!! Looks good! I'll post some pics of mine one of these days!

greatwn73

Moparman01-It wasn't all smooth sailing. The engine went in and out three times, oil pan didn't fit(when schumacher says the 971 pan is the best fit their right-just try to find one in a day),fitting the headers with the starter was also an issue. Dangling the engine and tranny over the rad support wasn't the best feeling. None of the alt.or power steering brackets fit from the donor car. The rad (also from the donor car) had to shortened 1 1/2 inches. As you can see there is no fan shroud (car is running at a steady 160)without but I'm going to try to modify the donor's. The engine also sits about 3in. cloiser to the rad. My inexperience usually meant that some things were installed more than once. The best preparation for this project was what I learned in this forum and would like to thank everyone who offered their knowledge.

Would I do it again --- absolutely!!

Moparman01

Quote from: greatwn73 on August 06, 2006, 09:47:51 PM
Moparman01-It wasn't all smooth sailing. The engine went in and out three times, oil pan didn't fit(when schumacher says the 971 pan is the best fit their right-just try to find one in a day),fitting the headers with the starter was also an issue. Dangling the engine and tranny over the rad support wasn't the best feeling. None of the alt.or power steering brackets fit from the donor car. The rad (also from the donor car) had to shortened 1 1/2 inches. As you can see there is no fan shroud (car is running at a steady 160)without but I'm going to try to modify the donor's. The engine also sits about 3in. cloiser to the rad. My inexperience usually meant that some things were installed more than once. The best preparation for this project was what I learned in this forum and would like to thank everyone who offered their knowledge.

Would I do it again --- absolutely!!

LOL Yeah i went throu ALL the same things!! None of my alternator or power steering pulleys and brackets lined up either. Actually i had all the right parts but i let a buddy of mine borrow MY engine before i was ready to use it and he ended up selling his Charger (very sweet 68) and all of my accessories that went with the motor went with the car as well by mistake, except the engine which he had already pulled and put his own 440 in when the engine shop finish it (long story by the way). So i had to go fishing to find all the access. and what not, they are not correct but they work! I used the Schumacher swap kit for mine as well, i was very impressed with how well the engine bolted in like it was meant to be there, if you're gonna swap small block to big block Schumacher is the way to go. In-experience fried some of my wiring right off the bat, i accidentally found a way to hook the harness up to the alt. the wrong way, so some of the bulkhead wiring had to be replaced...i got someone who knew what they were doing for that! I also came to find out the first time we went to start the motor that it was missing the actuator rod inside the motor that actuates the fuel pump...i ended up puttin an electric fuel pump in as a quick fix. I'll admit i've gotten very frustrated along the way with the project, seemed like every time we fixed one prob another came up...and another...Keep in mind mine was also a good running and driving car too before i tore it apart. I know in the end it will be all worth it, it's a very satisfying feeling doing the job yourself, and i've learned a ton that will help when i decide to restore my '68 someday!!

472 R/T SE

Great Job!!!  Nothing like opening a hood to see a freshly detailed engine bay.  The color is awesome as well.  That power steering bracket is huge.  :o

topduarte

Good job,

Same boat here as in April, took out the 318/727 and threw in the new 440/727.

Burnt some wiring on the headers, took off the headers at least 3 or 4 times.  Still have exhaust leaks, Top radiator hose blew on my way to exhaust shop (didn't tighten down hose clamp enough), headers knockin the passenger torsion bar (fixed now), oil leak at the distributor, etc. Speddo and tach not working, etc.

I would also do it again but no headers this time, headers are a pain in the ass!!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TK73

need more pics of that car, some of how the interior works with the new color?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!