News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake kit

Started by grizzlygiff, July 30, 2006, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlygiff

Has anyone here had any experience with a kit I saw on ebay from Hot Rods USA? sorry I dont have a link, but they sell for $500 and seem to be complete.They have 11" rotors,new booster, etc. This seems reasonably priced for all new components.

Wakko

There's a number of disk brake kits on Ebay right now, all seem to be pretty good.  You have another option, the tallzag kit.  It's a 1/4 inch steel plate that allows you to run Cordoba discs on your stock spindles.  Total cost for conversion is around $300.  Uses GM Calipers and hoses.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Silver R/T

wilwood kit youre talking about is pretty good, Im getting one myself
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 01, 2006, 12:48:04 AM
wilwood kit youre talking about is pretty good, Im getting one myself

I'll believe that when I see it.

Anyway, regarding Wilwood and Hot Rods USA, the Wilwood kit they sell is (or at least it used to be) a race-only application. There's been some debate as to whether Wilwood is trying to cover themselves from liability or if it's really only good for a few hard hits, etc. Whatever. I'm sure it will work fine. But I know on at least a couple occasions Hot Rods USA listed a Wilwood brake set for Chargers on Ebay but when you read the fine print it said it was for vehicles something like 3500 lbs or lighter. I forget the exact weight they listed but I do remember it was less than what a Charger weighed. Long story short, just read the fine print when it comes to Hot Rods USA. I had some problems with them in the area of shipping but they were in the middle of a move (:bawling:) and couldn't get their ducks in a row. They could have made me a customer for life if they would have let me drive the 6 miles or so to pick the part up myself but instead they insisted on shipping it which cost me more money and took about two to three weeks, so I will be taking my business elsewhere. How does it take that long to ship a part 6 miles?

Silver R/T

oh, it will happen sooner or later. Just too many things that are on the list and brakes are not the first thing
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

grizzlygiff

The kit I'm talking about is an OEM type kit that isn't Wilwood. I went ahead and ordered it. Bull, I hope my luck is better than yours was, I'll coss my fingers.

terrible one

Quote from: grizzlygiff on August 04, 2006, 08:47:00 AM
The kit I'm talking about is an OEM type kit that isn't Wilwood. I went ahead and ordered it. Bull, I hope my luck is better than yours was, I'll coss my fingers.

Be sure to tell us how it is.

bull

Quote from: grizzlygiff on August 04, 2006, 08:47:00 AM

Cool, let us know how it works out. One other thing I forgot to mention is that the Hot Rods USA Wilwood kit usually leaves out one or two of the major componants in the set such as the master cylinder.

Wakko

Can you post a link of the kit you ordered?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Wakko

Ordered a new Scarebird kit today...I'll post how it goes.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

grizzlygiff

Wakko, I dont have a link because I'm computer illiterate. You can see it by going to hotrodsusa.com and clicking on    "Garage Sale" this kit I bought is on the top of the page, listed as OEM Chrysler brake kit. I bought mine off ebay for 499.99 this was 25 less than what it is on their website. The kit just arrived today and looks good, everything seems to be in order. I'll know more when I put it on.

terrible one

Quote from: grizzlygiff on August 09, 2006, 06:01:59 PM
Wakko, I dont have a link because I'm computer illiterate. You can see it by going to hotrodsusa.com and clicking on    "Garage Sale" this kit I bought is on the top of the page, listed as OEM Chrysler brake kit. I bought mine off ebay for 499.99 this was 25 less than what it is on their website. The kit just arrived today and looks good, everything seems to be in order. I'll know more when I put it on.

That kit looks nice.

They say that your engine needs to create 17 inches of vaccum. How much is this, really? Would a stock 440 be able to create this much?

grizzlygiff

terrible one, I dont think that will be a problem on a stock engine, but a larger cam may not produce enough vacuum for the brakes, but I'm no expert on this. By the way, my 13 yr. old daughter is schooling me on computer skills, so i think i will try to post the first pic of the car i will be putting these brakes on, lol. :)

terrible one

Quote from: grizzlygiff on August 09, 2006, 08:01:57 PM
terrible one, I dont think that will be a problem on a stock engine, but a larger cam may not produce enough vacuum for the brakes, but I'm no expert on this. By the way, my 13 yr. old daughter is schooling me on computer skills, so i think i will try to post the first pic of the car i will be putting these brakes on, lol. :)

Thanks man, and that is a GREAT looking Charger! Any more pics?

OttawaCharger

Nice looking car.  :thumbs:
Welcome to the board.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

THE COLONEL

What other brand of Disc Brake Conversion kits have you guys used, and had success with?  I want to switch The Colonel over to disc next year for the safety factor with my kids in the car.  I got some prices on them, and I will spend almost $1,500 on front and rear from price quotes I have gotten.  So here is question number 2.  Do a lot of you have disc on the front, and drums on the rear, and is that good enough, or do you recommend doing front then the rear ASAP!  Thanks guys! ;)
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

blue69

I did the mopar action 11.75" swap on the front and the scarebird swap on the rear. If they had made the scarebird kit when I did the front I would have used them. Their current front kit uses the same 11.75" rotor, but has gm calipers. I think they have a bigger bore than the mopar calipers. The nice thing about them is they have a great pad selection and you can find carbon metallic or even ceramic pads at your local parts store. My rear kit barely cleared my 15 x 10" magnum wheels with a 95 crown victoria rotor and slightly used pads. The new rear disc kits use a rotor with a shorter hat and will most likely need 15" disc brake wheels. After I installed the rear disc kit, I noticed a good increase in stopping power, comparable to a modern car. Since I have 295/50/15 rear tires, I was able to increase the line pressure to the rear alot and it stops much flatter, instead of nose diving. My drum booster seemed inadequate with front disc only(even with a 23" vacuum electric pump) , so I installed a hydroboost at the same time as the rear disc. The factory disc/drum booster may work, but I have no experience with it.