News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What ever Happend To Reverse Rims?..

Started by Brock Samson, July 28, 2006, 12:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

OttawaCharger

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

4402tuff4u

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

OttawaCharger

I'm thinking that he couldn't make up his mind what colour he wanted!  :P
The car has SS1 yellow on it somewhere too!  ;D

John_Kunkel

In my day we left the valve stem on the inside when reversing the wheels; a classic case of trading practicality for "looks cool".

(There's just nothing like lying on your side under the car to check/adjust tire pressure).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

OttawaCharger

Yup! - Definitely gives it that 'don't mess with me' muscular look.  :yesnod:

Shakey

What was the point in reversing the rims?

Ghoste

Didn't you ever listen to Jan and Dean's "Drag City"?  It was all about, "lookin' real tough with chrome reverse wheels".  :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

i don't think it much counts unless they were chromed,..
cause they sure didn't come chromed when ya' bought the cars,.. ever.
and the lack of a hub cap completed the "racer" look...  ;D

John_Kunkel

Things happen in stages, reverse wheels appeared before anybody had the idea of chroming a wheel.

I think it was a natural progression, since the centers have to be removed for reversing someone had to realize that the two separate pieces would be easy to chrome before reassembling.

Ghoste

To more correctly answer your question Shakey, I think it just began as a customizing thing.  In the early days of hot rodding, there just weren't any wheel options for those seeeking a different look.  If there was another gain to them, I have no idea what it was.

John_Kunkel

The purpose of reversing the wheel is to give it the "deep dish" look that is nowadays done by using wider rims.

Ghoste

Brock Samson

chrisII

they are still around just have to look for em, i scraped a bunch of 14s about 10 years ago cuz i couldnt give em away