News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel guage

Started by roger01, July 21, 2006, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histoy

If the gauge reads empty and full as described earlier, and the tank sending unit is grounded well, and the gauge still reads improperly, then you will have to adjust the float level setting for the tank sending unit.  I've had to do this on several new sending units... not just Mopars.  My buddy recently had to do it to his Super Bee.   He siphoned all the gas out of his tank, and removed the sending unit.  Then he put in 10 gallons of gas, so the tank was half full.  Then he inserted the sending unit to see what the gauge read.  He pulled the sending unit and adjusted the float angle until the gauge read 1/2 full.  Once this is done, just reassemble, fill the tank, and it should read full...Brian

johntpr

None of the repro sending units work correctly and give an accurate reading out the box.  I re-used my original after trying 3 different repros.

roger01

it looks like thats what i have to do ......it just scares the hell out of me working on an empty or half empty tank ....can i do this with the tank full..?

roger01

and buy the way ....what do you do ...? just bend the float arm...

histoy

Messing with a gas tank isn't my favorite thing to do either, but yes, you bend the float arm so that it will move the sending unit switch in the direction needed to change the gauge setting.  It will probably take a few tries to get it right...Brian

smokinrt

Quote from: roger01 on July 30, 2006, 04:37:43 PM
i grounded the fuel and checked all connections ....still reads half full
roger,  my restoration guide shows a special ground clamp from the fuel tank to the fuel line.
Good luck
smokin rt

hulter

I think it is much easier just to do as I said above:  "The ohms at tank sender range from 10 full to 73 empty. "  If you are getting the same ohm reading at cluster plug from sender and and the tank /sender and it is 10 ohms when full or 73 empty, you are calibrated at the sender and at the plug.  If the gauge is not reading properly then the gauge is out of calibration- happens due to the poor design of the stock voltage limiter.  Can replace with digital limiter.  May still need to  re-calibrate gauge- can send to Redline or one of teh other gauge places.

Ghoste

Quote from: johntpr on August 09, 2006, 06:07:46 AM
None of the repro sending units work correctly and give an accurate reading out the box.  I re-used my original after trying 3 different repros.
Just out of curiousity, did you check the reading on those senders before putting them in or did you just run them out of the box?

roger01

no i did check them .....they were right on to what they should be

Ghoste

That doesn't seem right.