News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

446 vs. 450

Started by deputycrawford, July 10, 2006, 08:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

I know this has been discussed many times before, but I was wondering if anybody has found anything new on the topic.
     I have a 400 and a 440 for my 69. I want to pull my numbers 383 out of the car. I want to go 11.50's but no faster. I will not cage or mini tub this numbers car. My question is should I put a 440 crank in the 400 and let it rev faster or use the 440 for a less complicated build. I do love the way my 383 revs to the moon in an instant. I want an urgent and hyper feeling engine. I want the heavy lope, 4.10 gear and my 9 1/2 inch converter. I might even trans brake and manual valve body the car. Would the 400 stroker be the way to go  or use the 440. I will be driving it on the street 90 % of the time but I want the other 10% to show hard. A buddy of mine went from a 440, stroked to 500, in his rail car to a 572 with a Mega block, and actually slowed a tenth. He's in the 7.60's now. He thinks the car is not reving so fast. Would a 440, or stroker 440 for that matter rev slow enough to lumber around? Anybodies thoughts?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

The 451 is a great street/strip motor....no disputing that. A 440 will rpm almost as fast with lightweight pistons. Lighter pistons won't make any extra hp but the lighter rotating assembly will feel faster because it reaches the higher rpm range quicker. The intake manifold selection is generally better for an RB based build....although the performer rpm lowdeck manifold is excellent. Since your car is allready set up for a lowdeck (manifold/headers) it would be the logical way to go, inmo. Going from a stock piston 440 to a lightweight 451 combo shaves ~ 7lbs off the rotating assembly....that is huge. Less weight means less stress on the bottom end and longer engine life.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I know it took me some time to reply, but thanks firefighter. I am about 90% certain I will build the low deck stroker but I just might grind a 440 crank to 3.915 stroke and go for the 471 thing. I will probably paint it the stock lo pro 383 blue and make it a sleeper. Thanks again.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

That sounds like a good plan  :thumbs: If you do the 3.9 stroker build use the 6.35 chevy rod for better piston stability/rocking just like 471Magnum (Jim) did on his.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

Will do Firefighter. I want durability and power. I want to rev it to the moon if I have the notion.