News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good Shifter

Started by 68chargerboy, July 09, 2006, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

i am planning on putting a reverse manual valve body in my street/strip car and was wondering what a good shifter would be for it.  i am looking for one that goes strait from 1st to 2nd and then i want it to have a buttun/trigger or something in that nature to get to 3rd.  that way i dont accidently skip second.  i also want to have that sort of saftey feature on neutral and reverse.  thanks alot

Zach

dodge freak

Heck I use my column shift with my reverse manual and never skip 2nd and third is so easy just pull as fast and as hard as you like. But sorry I do not know of any, but Summitt racing or Jegs should know. Got this feeling its about $250 + but I bet its nice.

68chargerboy

if i cant find a good shifter maybe ill just use the colum like you said but if anyone knows please let me know. thanks

Zach

deputycrawford

68Chargerboy, any ratchet shifter made will do what you want. They are not that expensive and can be found anywhere. you pull it into first with the button. Then slap it as hard as you like and it will only go the next gear up. You can hit it with a sledge hammer and it will only shift one gear. If you let all the pressure off the shifter, then slam it again, it will go into the next gear. Very cool. Even factory E bodies had the slap shifter option. I love those things. Look in Summit and Jeg's etc. B&M and many more will have them.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

68chargerboy

deputycrawford,
                      Thanks for the info by chance do you know if the hurst v-matic II is a ratchet shifter?  thanks alot

Zach

deputycrawford

Actually, no I don't. I have stayed with the stock look so I haven't done a ton of research. I do know you can call Summit's tech line and ask them. I have used and repaired ratchet shifters but don't know all of them available. Good luck.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

kamkuda

Mefirst

Quote from: 68chargerboy on July 10, 2006, 10:50:10 PM
deputycrawford,
Thanks for the info by chance do you know if the hurst v-matic II is a ratchet shifter? thanks alot
Zach

Here is my setup with the Hurst V-Matic ratchet shifter.. Then again I dont use the reversed valvebody on my ride, you dont need to if you use a ratchet shifter...

/Tom

deputycrawford

Mefirst. Did you have to cut anything to get it under the console? I would love to do something like that. I wouldn't mind using the original shifter handle though. That looks VERY good in that car. Tell me your secrets. I will pay you in smilely faces.. :icon_smile_big:

THE CHARGER PUNK

my dad has the reverse manual valve body on his 68 charger and all we have is the stock shifter and it works fine and keeps a nice clean stock interior look-MATT

deputycrawford

Charger punk. I will keep that in mind. If I don't get the instructions again from the one who showed me, then I will go with the stock shifter.

R2

I have a Turbo Action SCS Shifter in my Charger,,,and really like it,,,,no way to miss a shift and its bullet proof......

I have a PPP shifter in my Belvedere (Strip car ),,,, and is also awesome,,,,,,

Either would be my choice.....

Pic of the PPP in the Belvedere

Pic of the Cheetah shifter in the Charger

MorePwr

B&Ms Pro Ratchet is working great for me. easy install and true, one hand operation.

Steve P.

For you guys that have or want a factory consol and shifter, Duncan Motor Sports makes lock out plates that do the job. It's much cheaper than changing shifters and keeps you stock looking.

http://www.duncan-motor-sports.com/toc.htm

Check them out... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Yep.  I have one in my car and it's great for a street and occasional strip car.  I don't think it would hold up to a lot of heavy abuse though.  If you are going to race it every weekend or you beat the hell out of your shifter every time you get behind the wheel, you should spend the cash for a heavier duty piece.
But for the way I use my car, it's perfect.