News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Burnt Daytona "Hot Stove Lounge" Discussion...

Started by Beep Beep Dave, July 01, 2006, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 11, 2006, 01:22:24 PM
What if....

one guy stated that every car has a soul... I think that is a little to much for me. Do you hear TAPS playing? I'm grabbing my hanky.

P.S. I love that black background of that site. It is so much easier to read.

Hey I guess I have to take the good with the bad :icon_smile_wink: That was my comment :yesnod: I am glad you like the site!

Hi back at ya Thomas, long time no see!!! Are you still taking great care of my Superbird??? :icon_smile_big:

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Ghoste

There is a guy here in town who makes Hemi Cuda convertible clones (and not very good ones) for a retirement business.  He used to be into fake Vettes until the Mopar prices went wild (the local Corvette fans are quite happy about his defection) and so there are a few out there.

69_500

A retirement business huh. Hmmmm, well I'm about 40 years away from retirement so guess I can't start up a company like that. I'll stick t my video projects and hope they start panning out for the future.

Ghoste

He's a retired provincial cop (like a state trooper) who is doing this to keep busy.  I don't know that he is getting all that rich from it because he doesn't do one bit of the work himself.  He pays someone for all of it.  He did similar cloning of Vettes when he was working full time.  He just got into Mopars a few years ago and for the most part laughs at us Mopar guys because we have "more money than brains".
He has a Hemi Challenger clone he is trying to unload right now and a 68 Hemi Dart clone in the chute waiting to get finished.
Clone isn't even an accurate word since they are basically E-body convertibles with Crate Hemi's dropped in.  But people will pay stupid money for them.  His overhead has to be up there too though with not doing anything that would get his hands dirty.

40 years till you retire?  I don't think you have to wait to get into the clone market, just find the right cars and do it.

69_500

yeah 40 years and I'll be 68 isn't that about what they say that my generation will have to work till to retire? I only intend on working until I'm 58 though, and by then if I don't have enough in a 401K to retire then I just haven't invested enough or smart enough and I deserve to be a broke old man. Life isn't for only working, its for relaxing too. And I intend on doing that when I get up in age.

Not that 58 is old or anything, but by then I'll have the house paid for, kids out of the house and still be young enough to enjoy life with my wife and travel.

arrow

58 is old !!!!!!!!!!!!  trust me , Im 58 --- it really isnt bad ????

69_500

58 is far from old. but then again it is much older than lets say 28.  :icon_smile_evil:

wingedone

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on July 11, 2006, 01:50:12 PM
Hi back at ya Thomas, long time no see!!! Are you still taking great care of my Superbird??? :icon_smile_big:

Dave

As best as I can.   ;)   So much to do...   :slap:

Sorry this response is so late. :-[

Charger Aficionado

I met the man that listed the eBay auction when I went out to look at a Challenger (which happened to be a "re-body")...  He said the buyer on eBay came out w/ a screw driver, popped the VIN off, and said "thanks", after he paid him $30k.  The seller says "well you have to take the whole thing, and buyer didn't want it, but then seller says "well it's going back on eBay" the buyer gets defensive and says "I'll go get a trailer"... haha...

Story goes:  The people in the trailer park *(you can see behind photos in car) were BURNING TRASH IN THE CAB OF CAR!!!!!!!   (Gunbarrel city TX).

Benji

Quote from: 69_500 on July 10, 2006, 05:15:34 PM
Well as far as the VIN's being wrong on the 71 HEMI cuda's that is a different story. I personally think that a couple of them are rebodies but that is solely my opinion. As far as clones go though I've probably seen 15-20 though at various shows around the country. Even a few local shows I've seen some at.

I know for a fact that one of the B5 1971 Hemi Cuda convertibles is a rebody. It was done in 1974 by the owner of a body shop in St. Clairsville, Ohio. He bought the needed parts from Richland Chrysler Plymouth in St.C.  The original car was totaled in Cleveland, Ohio.  A red 1971 383 'Cuda 'vert was the "donor" car.  I think he sold it for about $4500.00 shortly after he finished it.  I know he swapped the dash panel with the VIN tag but I doubt he restamped the core support or inside the trunk drip rail as he was only interested in making a few bucks and not defrauding anyone.  Virtually all the car guys in town knew about the real history of this car and I think a local guy bought it.  I'm guessing the other numbers have since been "cleaned up" as this can now is as valuable as a car can be.  Back then it was just another 'Cuda on his lot for sale.  I'm fairly sure the original engine and tranny were okay.

Benji

hotrod98

That guy is good. I've never been able to get a vin plate off with a screwdriver without destroying it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Arnie Cunningham

It seems to me that the real issue of contention here is not the actual mechanical process of reconstruction of a car.  The issue that has some people bothered is the potential for misrepresentation of the car once it is done.  I understand this.  I don't like liars any more than the next person.  However, nothing is going to stop the activity of reconstructing cars.  Complete new body shells are now available for Chevelles.  Soon Charger shells will follow.  So, it seems the only satisfactory action to take involves documentation and education so that prospective future buyers can be informed buyers if they choose to be.

I have been kicking around the idea of creating a unique thread for every aero mopar.  This would mean about 3000 threads would have to be created.  The titles of the threads would have to follow a consistent format so that the search engine would be able to find and sort the cars.  Input and data could be added to the thread as it came available.  If needed, a series of threads for clones could also be added.

Also, the documentation of how to tell what is correct and incorrect could be developed.  All this would aid future buyers in making informed choices.

Input please.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Alaskan_TA