News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what would cause a 904 to lose reverse?

Started by 73chargercali, July 01, 2006, 09:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

i bought another project and the previous owner said it wouldn't shift into reverse so i figured the shifter was messed up, which it was (B&M was shifting between gears) but even when i crawl under the car a manually shift it i can't find reverse it just acts like its in nuetral? is the tranny messed up beyond repair or can anyone think of a simple answer? Also two owners ago they sh!tcanned the kickdown linkage and drove the car occasionally. so it drives like its always slipping, i know i need the kickdown.

if its something a rebuild kit would take care of, i want to try to rebuild an automatic. (for the experience)

i'm sure john will chime in so I'll already say thanks for the info.

Plumcrazy

The problem is with the rear band or what applies it.
Sometimes the band breaks, if that's the case the transmission is coming out.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

d72hemi

Quote from: Plumcrazy on July 01, 2006, 10:07:23 AM
The problem is with the rear band or what applies it.
Sometimes the band breaks, if that's the case the transmission is coming out.

:iagree:

The same thing happened to my 72 (318/904) in 1999 or 2000. I had to be verry picky on where I parked for a few months until I got it fixed. If you rebuild it make sure you replace all the bands, or you may have it back in the shop without 3rd.  :flame: I know because the limped it to the trany shop three months later to b!^ch the shop out for their great rebuild job. Also try adjusting the reverse band. Any manual will tell you how to do that

Lightning

I lost mine, but before that I lost 3rd gear in February of last year.  They told me the sprag bit the dust right before it happened.  For awhile I was just driving around with only just 1st and 2nd gear!  After driving it around like that for a couple weeks I just took it to a transmission shop...they charged me $500 to pull the tranny and do a full rebuild.  The guy did a good job too.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.