News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions needed on 69 Charger RT price

Started by 69chargerfanatic, June 28, 2006, 07:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerfanatic

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and have found it incredibly useful. I've been looking for a 69 Charger for quite some time and I've found a private seller selling one in NJ. The VIN starts with: XS29L so it is a true R/T 440 4bbl car. However, there is no fender tag present and the current engine is a non-numbers matching 440 with 6pk. Besides those issues, the car is in exceptional shape. I attached a few pics of the car. The guy is asking $30,000. Does that price sound right? These cars are very hard to find in nice shape on the east coast around here. From what I've seen sell on ebay, I believe that this is a fair price for the car, however I may be wrong and I'm looking to you the gurus to help guide me. I'm going to see the car in a few days and I'll get the engine code and verify the VIN on the trunk lip matches the VIN on the dash.

mikepmcs

private seller? dealer? escrow?...... where is the car located?..... do you know the seller? got the rest of the vin?
lots of scams going on and i can't see the pics at work.  if you are going to see it, that's a good thing, i hope it's there and it's real.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69chargerfanatic

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 28, 2006, 08:00:53 AM
private seller? dealer? escrow?...... where is the car located?..... do you know the seller? got the rest of the vin?
lots of scams going on and i can't see the pics at work.  if you are going to see it, that's a good thing, i hope it's there and it's real.

private seller in NJ. If its real, is that a good price for a non numbers matching?

mikepmcs

let me get home so I can view the pictures you put up.  would i pay that for a clean non numbers matching r/t.  well, if i had the money and it was everything as described in darn good condition, probably. but that's me. i'm guessing NOM r/t's can get up in the 60's these days.  i need to see the pics and i'd be going over it with a fine tooth comb and a magnet.  i do think they are worth it though. 
Where did the fender tag go?
Is this car a restore or original(besides the motor of course)
I'm sure more people on this site, much smarter than i will have some more insight on this, trav, mikedc,grouse, troy,chris, firefighter, etc........ in the meantime, check out the nada classic car page.  if you can't find it, i'll send the link when i get home.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

found the link

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&c=11&m=1052&d=2450&y=1969&s=69524&da=-1

now this probably for a numbers car but at least you can have an idea. and i didn't select any options like a/c or whatever which usually add around 10% to the price.  just a guide though.
v/r
Mike

dodgecharger-fan

The lower door panels inside are from a 70 Charger, too.
and the inside of the trunk is not body color.

I'm not saying it's a bad car, but when I see some things that are obviously changed out, I feel that the car needs a very thorough going over to determine the price.

At the same time, if these things don't matter to you and the work is well done and won't need your time and money to "correct," then don't worry about them. Just check other things over that much more carefully to be sure there are no other concerns.

I don't know. Personally, I think that a bit high for what the car is missing - especially the fender tag and the couple of red flags.
Those things would bother ME and I wold want them corrected. So, I'd have to factor the cost of doing that into the equation.

And, as it has been said many times, the real price is determined by what the seller wants and what the buyer is willing to give.

Wakko

Check the passenger side for collision damage.  Note the gap between the side of the grille and the fender vs. the same gap on the driver's side.  Could be just a fender alignment issue, could be worse than that. 

For 32k I would expect a little more correctness than what this car has, but that's really up to you as the purchaser.  Door panels are only a couple hundred bucks.  The six pack setup is expensive in it of itself and difficult to tune for the novice, so that's a plus (if it's runnin' right).  If you can go over the car with a magnet and get a really clear look at the underside to find it primo, I don't think 30k is too far outside.  If it has mud in the quarters or the base of the rear window, I'd negotiate it down based on that and the NOM engine.  Car is quite beautiful and I'd be proud to drive it. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

mikepmcs

Just 6T9 CHGR

32k should at least include a repro washer bottle :rotz: ;)
IMHO it would need a few $k to get it going in the right direction
Looks like a Chevy guy owned it (trunk splatter paint)

PM me the rest of the VIN and Ill see if I have it in the registry for any other info on the car.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69chargerfanatic

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 28, 2006, 04:09:36 PM
32k should at least include a repro washer bottle :rotz: ;)
IMHO it would need a few $k to get it going in the right direction
Looks like a Chevy guy owned it (trunk splatter paint)

PM me the rest of the VIN and Ill see if I have it in the registry for any other info on the car.

PM'd you. What color is the trunk supposed to be? body color?

mikepmcs

also look at the grill itself on the pass side, something ain't right, right under the hood.  still a nice car though!!!
i'm with wakko on this, something must have happened to the pass side of this vehicle cause stuff is out of line, but hopefully it's just a bad camera shot!
let us know and take pics when you see it and post em up so we can scrutinize more :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike

69chargerfanatic

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 28, 2006, 04:16:16 PM
also look at the grill itself on the pass side, something ain't right, right under the hood.  still a nice car though!!!
i'm with wakko on this, something must have happened to the pass side of this vehicle cause stuff is out of line, but hopefully it's just a bad camera shot!
let us know and take pics when you see it and post em up so we can scrutinize more :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike

Could just the grill be messed up? The body lines of the hood and fender seem consistent on the driver and pass side.

DanishDude

The more I look at it, the more it looks to my eyes like the whole passenger side of the front has been 'lifted' a bit, frame and all. It seems to be a fair bit less than an inch, but noticeable once you see it. The front seems to curve up to the left in both frontal shots, and they were takes from slightly different viewpoints. Notice reflections of the sky in the fenders.

This could be a case of uneven distortion in the camera lens, but the shot of the rear doesn't appear to suffer from it.

Wonder what the car would look like if photographed on a perfectly flat and level surface... ? And how it drives.  ???

Edit: Have a closer look at the seventh photograph in the first set, the first one of the front seen full on.

If you move your head very close to your screen/monitor and look horizontally across the lines of the grille, you can see that the bottom passenger and both driver sides curve out from the grille (up/down), while the top passenger side bends slightly down. Since the last line mentioned runs nearly horizontally in the middle of the photo, out from the center, it would be an unusual kind of lens distortion, if that is what it is.

I'd officially declare that a 'Hmm...?'.  :icon_smile_big:

Edit Mk. II: Second photo, second group; headlight doors closed. The left/passenger side headlight door gapes more at the bottom than at the top. I assume they aren't supposed to do that? Since the gap between the front top of the fenders and the grille appears to have the same size in both sides, it seems the frame might be out of whack. No?

Frank.

Dream car: '68 Charger. Project status: Currently charging Charger cash capacitor.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Trunk should be body color.  I agree the market is crazy.  There seems to be no end in sight.

Check the car over throughly.  It does look like a nice car for the money (now a days)

Good luck :cheers:

PSSS----welcome to the site :thumbs:  and if you get the car, properly register it in the registry.  If not pass the registry info on to the owner (currently dont have it in the reg)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

But it is all nice and shiny so if you don't buy it, somebody will.

4402tuff4u

Looks pretty clean from the photos. Check the power train too. Just remember, if you were to restore a Charger, you would be spending that kind of cash! If you don't buy it, someone with less experience/knowledge about these Charger's and with plenty of money will buy it!  :yesnod: 
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

dodge freak

I guess the only thing to worry about beside rust is if it was in a major accident in the past.  Maybe thats why the fender and bumper don't line up right. If the frame got bent bad it might not drive right down the road at high speed. If somebody wants it fine, but I would not want a car that was in a major wreck.

dodgecharger-fan

I guess as a follow up to my first post, I should say that I wouldn't let this stuff deter you from buying the car, it IS a nice car, but knowing all of this up front will help you determine your end cost and give you some points to negotiate with.

If I had the money and the room, a car in that shape with those issues wouldn't be dismissed. I'd look at it as an opportunity to get another nice Charger at a decent price(with a lot less work required compared to my current project.  :icon_smile_shy: )

Best of luck.

69chargerfanatic

well thanks for all the input guys. you have really helped me in preparing to see the car. It is alot of money and I will see if it is worth the 32k. I'll go check it out and see how it drives. I've never driven a charger before but have driven many chevelles, 442's, corvettes of the same era.

mikepmcs

Quote from: 69chargerfanatic on June 29, 2006, 10:23:05 AM
well thanks for all the input guys. you have really helped me in preparing to see the car. It is alot of money and I will see if it is worth the 32k. I'll go check it out and see how it drives. I've never driven a charger before but have driven many chevelles, 442's, corvettes of the same era.

You are defnitely in for a treat then! :icon_smile_big:
Looks like it has a disc brake mod too by looking at the booster/master cylinder.  That's a great thing!!!
It looks real straight and like I said earlier as long as the undercarriage is just as tight(no rot) and I had the money, i'd buy it. :METAL: :METAL:
good luck.
v/r
Mike

69chargerfanatic

Is this where I'll find the last 6 digits of the VIN on the trunk??

mikepmcs

sorry i'm hijacking for a sec.  that last picture where you can see the trunk seal.  is that the correct way the seal goes in? perfect timing cause i was just about to post a new thread.  anyone?? this is for my own that i'm changing.  last one was a hack job.
thanks
v/r
Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 29, 2006, 03:53:52 PM
sorry i'm hijacking for a sec. that last picture where you can see the trunk seal. is that the correct way the seal goes in? perfect timing cause i was just about to post a new thread. anyone?? this is for my own that i'm changing. last one was a hack job.
thanks
v/r
Mike

Nope its installed wrong......(like I said before a Chevy guy resto attempt! ;) )

The small "ridge" should go towards the trunk opening...see pic.

Also to get extra super correcto-mundo bonus points, offset the seam to one side of the trunk....close to the edge of one of the taillights.....dont use my pic as an example of that though....I didnt get the bonus points :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

thanks chris, i'll do that.  i'm installing mine tomorrow along with my new deck lid, sweet!!! :icon_smile_big:
back to our regularly scheduled program.
v/r
Mike