News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it safe to glass bead blast the 73-74 spindles, uncovered?

Started by WH23G3G, June 26, 2006, 10:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm still getting some of my suspension components blasted and painted. Now I've almost got all of it done, what about the spindles? They have the machined area where the bearing rides and a machined area where the dust shield bolts to. Is it ok to blast the whole spindle totally uncovered? I would be using glass beads. I asked my local machine shop and they said it would be fine. A mechanic looked at them too and said he thinks it would be ok too. The mechanic said after bead blasting them, he said they could put it in the transmission steamer in case I'm worried about any grit that maybe on there I can't see. I also have the option of soda blasting them too. What is the suggested method?

Chryco Psycho

I would cover it with duct tape & blast the rest of the spindle

Shakey

I just cleaned a pair of spindles up this past weekend.  I taped up the shaft and used a wire brush to start, took it over to the wire wheel for a bit, then over to the sandblaster and then removed the tape and went back to the wire wheel to clean it all up.

Below are some before and after photos.

andyf

I start by having the local machine shop hot tank them.  Then I throw them in the tumbler and let the ceramic beads do all the hard work.  They come out looking very nice and are ready to rinse and paint.

plum500

Quote from: WH23G3G on June 26, 2006, 10:58:44 PM
I'm still getting some of my suspension components blasted and painted. Now I've almost got all of it done, what about the spindles? They have the machined area where the bearing rides and a machined area where the dust shield bolts to. Is it ok to blast the whole spindle totally uncovered? I would be using glass beads. I asked my local machine shop and they said it would be fine. A mechanic looked at them too and said he thinks it would be ok too. The mechanic said after bead blasting them, he said they could put it in the transmission steamer in case I'm worried about any grit that maybe on there I can't see. I also have the option of soda blasting them too. What is the suggested method?

I'd tape em off too. I use a little die grinder with a small vinyl or wire wheel for lots of that stuff.
Soda blasting might not do as well on any corrosion as beads or sand if a blasting is required.