News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pan leaking problem

Started by 74ChargerRallye, June 26, 2006, 06:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74ChargerRallye

My oil pan is leaking about one drop per hour out of the rear bottom corner.  The oil is not coming down from the bolts, but physically out of a very tinny hole in the pan.  I was wondering if I should try to use some JB-Weld, grind off the paint and try to mig-weld up the hole with the pan on the vehicle, or just buy and replace with a new pan?  Can I remove the pan on a small block without removing any cross-member?  Just wondering what everyone thoughts were....

Thanks

dodge freak

Those pans are a pain to change, you have to lift the motor up aways and it just comes out.The only way to do a great job is to lift the motor at least halfway out. I would try to patch it, the auto stores sell something just for oil pans, not sure if its better than jb-weld. It might be, I would use that. Maybe you should drain the oil out but you can't get it all out. Don't change that pan unless you can pull the motor, or its leaking bad. 1 drop a hour is not bad to me, it will get worst so do something now.

TylerCharger69

You'll have to raise the engine a bit in order to repair.    You need to drain the oil.    If you try to patch it when oil is still in the pan.....your patch may not hold  due to oily residues  seeping out  during the patching process.  Remove the pan,  clean inside and outside really good....I use lacquer thinner or Berryman's carb cleaner in a can to clean the area.    you may want to rough it up a bit with some semi-coarse sandpaper to help it adhere.....and  JB weld it up, inside and out.  Let it cure, and slap the pan back on.   You can usually get the engine up high enough just by removing the two motor mount bolts.   I've fixed a few pans that way. :icon_smile_wink: