News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do I need to do to my prop. valve for the brakes?

Started by WH23G3G, June 20, 2006, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got all new rotors, calipers, pads, bearings, hoses, lines, master cylinder, and booster for my 73's brake system. I actually still have to order the brake line kits. I'm just going stock replacement. I was not able to find a prop. valve replacement except I think those adjustable ones advertised sometimes in Mopar Muscle. I degreased my original one and then sprayed through each opening with brake clean. Everything flowed out the opposite ends well and I saw no rust colored fluid come out when I shot the brake clean through. I was planning on just spraying it black and reusing it. Do I need to do anything to it or get it checked out further anywhere? Mine came with power disc brakes up front and has the 11 x 2.5 drums in the rear when whoever swapped to an 8.75 rear end.

Shakey

My Father-In-Law and I were talking about this a couple of weeks ago.  He says there is a method to testing them but we didn't get into details.

I'll ask him this weekend about it and if no one else chimes in, I'll let you know.

I just used the wire wheel on mine for a bit.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Shakey on June 20, 2006, 08:56:18 PM
My Father-In-Law and I were talking about this a couple of weeks ago.  He says there is a method to testing them but we didn't get into details.

I'll ask him this weekend about it and if no one else chimes in, I'll let you know.

:drive:  :scratchchin:  :smoke:

I'll keep my eyes opened about how to test the dist block / prop valve
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chryco Psycho

John_Kunkel

Unless you have a test bench, the only way to test a prop valve is on the car with comparison gauges hooked up. The FSM outlines the procedure.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

GreenMachine

I took one apart before that was in an engine fire. It's been a while, but if I remember right there is really nothing to wear out. The one in the fire looked brand new on the inside. I think the only problem you could have would be corrosion.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Shakey

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 21, 2006, 02:34:34 PM
Unless you have a test bench, the only way to test a prop valve is on the car with comparison gauges hooked up. The FSM outlines the procedure.

That is exactly what my Father-In-Law told me this weekend.