News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct Tire Sizes for Vector 15x7 and 15x8.5 wheels - please help!

Started by Corellian Corvette, June 20, 2006, 02:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Hello!

I just recieved my American Racing Vector wheels which I'm going to put on my 68 charger.

I would like to use Goodyear Eagle GT II tires with the raised white letters.

I would like to keep the overall diamater as close to original as possible to keep my speedo correclty calibrated.

Goodyear makes the following 15in wheels in RWL.

Size    Diameter
P235/60R15 26.1
P225/70R15 27.4                 
P255/60R15 27.0
P295/50R15 26.6                 
P255/70R15 29.1 
P235/70R15 28.0
P275/60R15 28.0

I'm thinking 295/50 in the rear, 235/60 in the front. Those diameters are pretty close.

Since I don't have the car now, I don't know what the correct original size would be. Any help approecatied since I'd like to order the tires and have the wheels ready to go when the car arrives

Thanks!

Blown70

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 21, 2006, 12:21:58 PM
Someone? Anyone?

There was a thread about something similar a few days ago.  I would suggest you can run the tire you want.  Do you like a larger side wall or not.  You have to make the call.

Tom

Corellian Corvette

Sorry - I was specifically wondering 2 things

1. What's the best diameter to be as close to the stock wheels for speedo? Do I want to be near 26in? 27in? 29in? Getting this correct will inform how accurate my speedo is and I don't know the correct stock tire size for the Charger.

2. *Assuming* that ~26in in diameter is correct for the charger, does anyone have experience with 295/50 rear, 235/60 front in terms of rubbing, etc.

The sidewall choice is relative beacuse in the case above, the 235/60 will appear to have a smaller sidewall than the 295/50. What needs to be right is the overall diameter so I wanted to get that right, plus make sure that the tire will actually fit :)

TylerCharger69

The place where you buy the tires should be able to give you some kind of conversion on that.

Paul G

Check out this site. It can show dimensions for different tire sizes. That should help a little.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Corellian Corvette

I've actually created a similar program using .xls in order to do this so doing the math is really easy.  :yesnod:

The *question* I have is: What was the original size of the wheel/tire combo on a 68 charger, so I can figure out which overall diameter was closest? Without knowing the original size, I can't do the comparison.

The, secondly, does anyone have any experience with the sizes I've listed, first hand, in terms of fitting the car?

DodgeChargerNeeded

I have 245/60 on the front and 295/50 on the rear of my car, 15x8 Magnums all the way around, In my opinion the 245s are a little too big for the front, the 295s are great on the rear with no rubbing at all.
Jeff

Corellian Corvette

perfect, thanks - that's what I was wondering. I was considering 235's in the front so that might end up perfect.

Thanks!