News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clips or glue for headliner 68charger

Started by c5_nc, June 20, 2006, 07:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c5_nc

I see headliner clips for sale, but the how tos are using pony clamps to apply down glue instead (or in addition?).  Which is prefered method?  (On the roof rail sides)

4402tuff4u

I just had my headliner installed two weekends ago by a awesome professional installer. There are two types of clips that I saw. One clip has a little "V" cup on it and that's for the steel bows that get inserted in the pockets of the liner. If your new liner does not have the small pockets for the sail panels, I suggest that you have them added, in lieu of having the liner glued to the sail panel cardboards. The second set of clips have like a little circle when looking at them from the side. That's for the side interior black trim that has only one screw hole in the front of the trim piece - long lazy "L" shape that follows roof contour. Actually there is one more clip. The front clips for the front interior trim piece. These clips look like a wide "L" shape with a split piece thingy that is inserted in the roof edge holes and expanded/opened with pliers. I saw my installer only glue the insulation foam to the underside of the roof, skipping the cross rails and the front and side edges of the liner. See my post on "headliner installed"

I hope this cleared your question. Did not really understand the question, I think you are asking whether to use clips or glue. The answer is both. :yesnod:

By the way, mine is a 68 Charger too!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

c5_nc

OK, more lost now.  Here is what I was trying to aski.  Front and rear you have the spikes you press fabric into to hold.  Trim pieces go over this.  Sides there are no spikes.  I saw some glued, holding on with pony clamps until glue dried, then metal roof rail moldings applied, these have 6 clips each that hold molding on but also would act as a clamp for headliner.  Alternatively, I thought maybe the "c" clips were additional or for applications were glue was not used on the sides, since with maybe 6 of the "c" clips and 6 of the clips from teh roofrail molding maybe glue is not needed.

Kinda lost on the other clips, maybe I should take it to a pro.  Legendary headler has bow clips for the sail panels attached to headliner.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: c5_nc on June 20, 2006, 08:53:32 AM
OK, more lost now.  Here is what I was trying to aski.  Front and rear you have the spikes you press fabric into to hold.  Trim pieces go over this.  Sides there are no spikes.  I saw some glued, holding on with pony clamps until glue dried, then metal roof rail moldings applied, these have 6 clips each that hold molding on but also would act as a clamp for headliner.  Alternatively, I thought maybe the "c" clips were additional or for applications were glue was not used on the sides, since with maybe 6 of the "c" clips and 6 of the clips from teh roofrail molding maybe glue is not needed.

Kinda lost on the other clips, maybe I should take it to a pro.  Legendary headler has bow clips for the sail panels attached to headliner.

The sides do get glue and clips. The front does get glue and clips too. If you can get a pro to install it, I would! The headliner is one of the most important elements in the Charger's interior and you want it looking right! It's not laying down carpet where you can hide imperfections, wrinkles, etc... Let a pro do it if you can - you will be very disatisfied and remorseful for doing it if it turns out poor.  My two cents.......... :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"