News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to straighten stainless steel??

Started by hewi, June 17, 2006, 06:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewi

G'day.

Is there anyway you can do this yourself?

Have a 69 charger and the centre "I" piece on the grille is a bit shappy. Some of the trim is not the best either.

Any help would me much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hewi

John_Kunkel

I've done some myself if it wasn't too mangled.

Eastwood sells a trim hammer and small anvil, you use the hammer to ding out the dents from the inside which leaves some slight raised bumps on the outside. I use a vibrator sander to remove the raised bumps and then polish out the sander marks with a motor-mounted cloth buffing wheel and polishing compound intended for stainless.

Wear heavy gloves when polishing, stainless edges cause painful cuts if the piece gets away from you.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hewi

Hi John. Thanks for the reply.
What grit sandpaper did you use?
Cheers

John_Kunkel

I use 280 grit on the jitterbug sander.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bill440rt

Problem is, the center I piece is NOT stainless steel, it's ALUMINUM!!!!
Aluminum can be very tricky to straighten, sometimes it's almost impossible unless left to a professional. Then, you'd either have to strip off the anodizing & either polish it on a buffing wheel or have it re-anodized. If you polish it, you'd have to do all the rest of the trim to match.
My advice is spend the $200 bucks on a repro if you can swing it. Oh, & pretty soon the WHOLE SET will be available.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

I straighten mine, I made some 'tapping' tools from old screw drivers and files, I grinded the ends to a blount edge on a bench grinder, then I took the trim and colored the dent with a black magic marker, flipped them over and used my home made tools to tap out the dents and dings. After tapping I flipped them back over and run over the area I marked with a fine tooth bastard file (one way) any black spots left (from marker) needs more tapping, sort of like a guide coat on body work. After I was finished straightening I stripped the old anodizing off with a 3M roloc disc, then proceded to hand sand with finer and finer sandpaper. After sanding I used some small buffing wheels (I bought off of the MAC truck) on an air drill, i found the RPM of an air drill to be about right, air die grinder is too fast, then polished to a nice shine using some compounds I bought from eastwood. BTW I made holding fixtures from scrap wood to attach my trim to then clamped the fixtures in a vise, so my trim would not go flying across the shop. I did mine a while back ago before repops were available, but even so the 'I' trim is 200, the staight parts are around 150, I think I have around 25-35 in mine with the price of compound, paper, etc. Heres a pic of my grill, though I need to take better close ups of the trim, but I was very pleased the way it turned out.
Good Luck,
Jason

PS- the trim on the pass side of grille hasn't been installed yet when photo was taken, just "I" trim and drivers side "C" and straight trim.

dodge freak

Nice job, you make a good body shop man. :yesnod:

squeakfinder

Well, I pretty much did the hammer and dolly work on my straight trim the way every one else did on my 68. I used course sand paper to smooth out the ruff spots then used progressively finer paper. The finest paper I used was 600 which I wet sanded with. I then used rubbing compound to finish it off. I used a similar technique on a set of aluminum mag wheels (except no hammer and dolly work). When I was done with the wheels I washed and dried them stuck them in front of a heater, then rattle canned them with clear spray paint to keep them from oxidizing and turning gray.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

jaak

Hey Hewi,
Here are the pics of the emblems.

Jason