News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Let the Racing Season Begin! Started out good, ended in Dissaster -Pix added!!!

Started by Mefirst, June 09, 2006, 09:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefirst

Going racing this weekend 10-11/6 First time ever so it does feel exciting..

The race is a two day event at the local Tullinge Raceway, Stockholm. First day its al about qualifying, then on Sunday its Eliminations.

I'm driving in a series called Real Street. Its a series for street cars that are able to do between 10-13sec on the 1/4. The change for the season 2006 is that its a "Mixed" series. Earlier the Euro/Ricer cars had their own series, but they have now been integrated into the Real Street series. So its Old V8 American Iron against Euro/Ricers..

The first race was a couple of weeks ago.. And I was out to check the competition. I learnt quite quickly that its going to be a tough series. The fastest time for that day was done by a 4WD Turbo Audi. The Audi guys first time was something like 10.2 then he went back to the pits, raised the Turbo pressure, came back and -Holy C..p!!! The Audi pulls an insane 9.2sec time (then at the finish line it seems like he busted somethin up with the rear, probably broke an axelshaft).. so he was out from the finals.. The guy who won the final, did it with a supercharged Camaro, his opponent who drives a nice looking Pontiac GTO didint make it, cause the Pocahontas battery went stone dead just as he was ready to line up.. So easy win for the Camaro....

I wont be able to drive that many runs on Saturday, reason is I have to drive the 3 needed License runs first, but hopefully Ill be able to drive a couple of qualifying runs so Ill get into the elimination on Sunday.. Problem is though that I don't have anywhere close enough power to challenge the top cars, Id need at least 200 more horsepower to give them a fight. This season is also my rookie season, so my aim for the season is mostly to not mess up my car and hopefully run under 12sec...

So, wish me luck guys.. Ill write a report for both Saturday and Sunday, I also hope my buddy will bring his video cam and also snap some good pix to share with you..

/Tom

Ghoste

Good luck!  Looking forward to the report and some photos.

firefighter3931

Good Luck Tom, have lots of fun and carry the Mopar banner with pride.  :icon_smile_big: You may not have the fastest car there, but you'll have the coolest !  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

Well likes the topic states.. The day started aw some, but ended up with a fu...ed up 440 engine... Well at least I got to run 4 times, of which 3 were license runs..

When I did the third full WOT license run I noticed the car was not responding that well, it seemed to loose power and by the 1/4 marker I started to feel weird vibrations and noise. The noise sounded the same as when you have a something vibrating against the exhaust pipe cause its rubbing on something.. I stopped at the track end to investigate, didint see anything and the noise disappeared as soon as I put the trans in neutral and let the engine idle... Well of I go back to the pits.. Again there is the weird noise and vibration and it sounds louder now, I again pull over, put the trans in neutral and the noise dissapares, must be the exhaust pipes vibrating against something..

Pull into the pits and tell my mech, buddy about the sounds, we start to investigate more. First thing we noticed that there was oil on the walleypan, we couldn't pinpoint where the hell the oil came from.. I also told him about the weird noise. Start the car up again, but now there is no noise, not in neutral or in gear??? Well we scratch out heads for a while, like what the hell... Well anyways, they call out for the Real Street series cars to come to the line up. I start up the car and drive to the starting lane.. Again the noise begins.. Well I didint think much about it, cause we both though it sounds that the exhaust is hitting something cause its vibrating..

Start the first official qualifying run, I ran against a 70 Chevelle.. I took him hard in the start, eventhough I pulled away from him I sensed that my car has lost even more power, it doesn't pull near as hard as it had before and the noise also got louder, well I let go of the throttle, landed a 13.006sec time..

Drove back to the pits and now the noise is really loud and clear... We start to investigate and it seems that the piston bolt/pin has died or that its stuck on cylinder no. 5 or 7... -What a messed up ending to a fun day...

So, this is how I ended up taking my car home....

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/Gimmegimmies/Stuff/P1010002.jpg

Need to pull the 440 appart and see what the hell happend.. But sadly the season is over for me before it even started, so Ron (Firefighter) Ill have to take a WO from our 1/4 mile Battle... Ill come back next season... right now I'm just gonna take a vacation away from my car, I'm so bummed out that I need to do something else for a while....

My buddy taped a short video clip of my final run, Ill post it as soon as I get a copy of it....

/Tom

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

firefighter3931

Damn Tom....this car has been fighting you all the way  :icon_smile_blackeye:  I understand your disappointment ; maybe take some time away from the car and regroup. I'll be interested to see what you find is the problem. How fast was the engine spinning during those time trials ? Did you have a chip in the MSD box ?  Maybe it's time to bring the engine back to the builder and have him go over it to see what happened.

Sorry to hear about this buddy.  :icon_smile_sad:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

Hey Ron... Yeah, it is a fight of will, the car really does test my patience al the way.. (I actually do think its time for me to get a Priest to come to the garage and sprinkle Holy Water on the car and let the Priest try to drive out the demons in it)

I shifted at about 6300-6400rpm. Rev limiter was set at 6500rpm.. What really is weird though is that I ran a consistent 13.00 two times, well the fourth run might have been initially faster but I eased of the throttle after the 1/8 marker and again scored a 13.00.. Then again my reaction times sucked, best was 0.606 that was the WOT 3;rd license run @ 13.001.. Sadly I wont be able to check out my own and the cars true potential this summer.. well maby next year....

But like I wrote earlier the car was loosing power al the time, but then again I got to beat a Chevy, so thats something, and I also got my race license, if one tries to find positive things.. but everything else just sucks major... Kinda wish I would have kept the old 400 smogger, then I would still at least be able to drive my car, while we investigate what the hell happend to the 440..

Ill keep you updated about what we find when we do the autopsy on the diseased 440 and hopefully find out what killed it..

The oil did not smell burnt, nice colour, no signs of metall shavings (might be stuck in the oil filter) Oil pressure was ok the whole time, the top end of engine was getting oil..

/Tom

Just 6T9 CHGR

Crap!  This is the stuff I hate to read about.....Sorry about your misfortune.   I guess if you want to go fast, sometimes you must pay a price
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

greenpigs

Makes me wonder about the condition it was in when you bought it.

Sucks to hear it barfed on you, so what is the plan other than a tear down of the 440?

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dodge freak

After letting somebody build my motor and after reading this site for about a year I will not  let anybody put a motor together for me again. They can clean it and do all the machine work but I will assemble it and check everything myself. Maybe if you had new rod bolts put in one of them was not put back in all the way, then after it was running it sunk in and was then loose. Seems like some builders don't care or maybe they were drinking while putting the motor back together. I am sure there is lots of good builders out there but if I have the time I will do it myself. Think Cudaken had somebody build his motor and it broke after a few runs. Try to keep your cool when you take it back, maybe they will stand by their work, give them a chance to look it over and see. Sounds like you were taking it easy 6300 should be ok let us know what happen to it.

Mefirst

Pigs***
The engine was fine when I bought it, I also ran it in the dyno with no problems. When I later test drove it there were no problems. The problems began at the track by the end of the second run and then got worse with the third and fourth run...

Dodge freak***
The problem is that the 440 (bottom end) I have was built some 4 years ago, the top end parts were then added later, so I don't think the shop who built it will care about what happend to it, and frankly I don't think the shop even exist anymore.. But if it comes to that, that I have to build a new bottom end Ill put it together myself (well with some help) and it will get done right this time...

I have yet to tear down the 440 and take a look at what hapend, then depending on the damage I find, Ill decide what to do. The block is already .060 over and I actually already have a lead on a stock bore 440 block, so if there is damage to the cylinder wall/s, the block I hope Ill get my hands on would then be fitted with a Stroker kit, then use the top end from my old 440...

/Tom

Chryco Psycho

that is Bad news
let us know what you find , we could build a short block here & ship it if nessisary 

Mefirst

Found two pix of my ride, well one of the car and then one off my rear tire/rim..

Seems that the rear end of the car is way to soft, need to clamp the rear springs.. You can clearly see in the pic that the rear end raises up way to high... Then again I did not let out any air from the rear tires when I did the 4 runs, we just wanted to see how the chassis/suspension is acting... It felt really good, the car went arrow straight, I could have let go of the steering wheel and the car would have continued straight.. So at least that worked out well, the chassis/suspension is a direct copy of a Stocker setup...

/Tom

Mefirst

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 12, 2006, 11:51:58 PM
that is Bad news
let us know what you find , we could build a short block here & ship it if necessary

Thanks Chryco... If it turns out that the cylinder wall is damaged bad, then Ill skip the old block entirely and plan on a Stroker bottom end build... If it comes to that, I'm aiming for an at least +600hp on pump gas engine... I'm done playing around, then its serious business... I might send you a PM later on :cheers:

/Tom

Blue Pentastar

Hey but the main thing is the car looked great and you got your license. Would suggest lower tire pressure once you get back on the track. I hope it is not to serious once you get her torn down. It could have been worse at least you are ok and the rest of the car is ok. Good luck with what you find.

Mike Schrader
69 Charger White Hat Special  
04 Chrysler 300M Special
99 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel

Blue Pentastar

we could build a short block here & ship it if nessisary

Excuse the ignorance but where do you work or is this something you do on the side.

My buddy is probably going to be looking for a short block next spring.

Mike Schrader
69 Charger White Hat Special  
04 Chrysler 300M Special
99 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel

Ghoste

Mefirst

Quote from: Ghoste on June 13, 2006, 05:36:24 PM
It's not going to ease your pain, but the pics are cool.

Not that I´m not modest, but -Yeah, it was the best looking ride there!!!

Ghoste

Modesty is fine, but there is also nothing wrong with having pride in your ride!

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mefirst on June 13, 2006, 09:50:50 AM
that is Bad news
let us know what you find , we could build a short block here & ship it if necessary

Thanks Chryco... If it turns out that the cylinder wall is damaged bad, then Ill skip the old block entirely and plan on a Stroker bottom end build... If it comes to that, I'm aiming for an at least +600hp on pump gas engine... I'm done playing around, then its serious business... I might send you a PM later on :cheers:

/Tom

Tom, there's allways the possibility of sleeving the block if just one hole is bad. Before you dump money into any block it should be sonic checked to see what it has for cylinder wall thickness. The thrust side is the most important area....especially with stroker builds.

600hp is achievable with a 4.15 crank, some portwork on the eddies and the right cam....on pump gas.

Ron

Mefirst

Cheers Ron...

Yeah, Ill have to check the damage to the cylinder wall, if its not bad, and like it only needs to be honed, then Ill just bolt on a new piston/rings to the rod and change out al the piston bolts/pins to floaters. Maby change out the bearings is a good idea to do at the same time. If the cylinder wall is that damaged, that it needs to be sleeved, I think Ill just go with the stroker build... What ever turns up when I open up the hurt 440, I will try to score that standard 440 block for future use...

/Tom

firefighter3931

Hi Tom, by all means ; score a spare block if at all possible.  :thumbs:  Strokers are cool and there's no doubt you'd really like all the extra torque that a long arm combo would generate.  :icon_smile_big: I'm hopeful that your block isn't too severely damaged and is salvageable. I can't imagine that 440 blocks are too plentiful over there so i suggested the sleeve option as a way of getting more life out of this engine if at all possible. I've seen blocks that had holes in the cylinder wall that were sleeved and put back into service.  :yesnod:

Ron