News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove 75 dart instrument cluster

Started by EW170RT, June 07, 2006, 09:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EW170RT

I need to remove my instrument cluster in my 75 dart and was wondering if anyone has done it, and if there are any tricks to it? It looks to be a pain. Any help would be appreciatiated.

Thanks,

Jeff

squeakfinder

First, disconnect the battery. You will probably need a stubby philips (crosspoint screwdriver) to pull the screws from the dash. You will find the screws on the top of the cluster in the black area are installed vertical, so you hold your screwdriver upside down to get them out. I prefer to unbolt the column from the dash when because it will give you a couple extra inches of clearance when pull the cluster out. To do this unscrew the plastic cover on the bottom of the column (4 screws). This will expose to nuts that bolt the column to the dash. I use a deep 3/8 socket to pull them off. This will drop the column 2 or 3 inches. This should also expose the speedometer cable, you will want to pinch the end of it (the white part) with your fingers to unhook it and pull the cable off. I've always detached the wiper and headlight switch's from the dash but I think you can lift the cluster up and out enough to to where you can reach the wiring harness to unplug them. You will also have a couple of nuts to pull off the back of the amp gauge to remove two 12 gauge wire's. Unplug the light for the fasten seatbelts. There will be a cluster of wires that go into a round female connector, be careful when pulling this because studs tend to brake off of the circuit board.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

Also if it feels like the cluster won't come out make sure everything is unhooked. There is a lip at the bottom that you will need to clear by lifting the cluster up slightly when pulling out. If you decide you need to remove the headlight and wiper switch, the wiper switch knob should pull off exposing a nut that will probably require a spanner wrench to remove. The headlight switch will have a spring loaded button on the passenger side of it. You will need to reach around (maybee from under the dash and feel for it. Wile you push that button in pull on the light switch knob out, the shaft that the knob is attached to will pull out of the switch. You can now use a flat scewdriver to remove the nut that holds the switch to the cluster.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

EW170RT

Thanks for all the help. It has been pulled and replaced.

Jeff