News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 - Front Brake Rotors

Started by Shakey, June 05, 2006, 04:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I am begining to work on my front suspension and would like to put a new set of brake rotors on.

I am aware that the original rotors were a two piece unit - who can tell me more about them?  Was the two piece rotor and hub a better design?  Why did Mopar go with this style?

How about aftermarket availability? 

I see Year One sells them for $200.00 + USD each, and although I know it is a bit steep, I feel that the brakes are somewhat important :yesnod: , so I would shell out if I have to.

Does anyone know who is manufacturing these rotors for YO?  I'd like the option of finding them a bit closer to home and looking them over before buying them.

Perhaps someone here has purchased a pair - your thoughts!

Also, what was the size of the original rotors?

Thanks in advance.

andyf

You would probably be better off in the long run by switching to the late model A body disc brakes but you'll just have to make the decision yourself.  The 4 piston Bendix B body stuff is expensive to maintain and doesn't really work all that great.

Doc74

Quote from: Shakey on June 05, 2006, 04:28:01 PM
I am begining to work on my front suspension and would like to put a new set of brake rotors on.

I am aware that the original rotors were a two piece unit - who can tell me more about them?  Was the two piece rotor and hub a better design?  Why did Mopar go with this style?

How about aftermarket availability? 

I see Year One sells them for $200.00 + USD each, and although I know it is a bit steep, I feel that the brakes are somewhat important :yesnod: , so I would shell out if I have to.

Does anyone know who is manufacturing these rotors for YO?  I'd like the option of finding them a bit closer to home and looking them over before buying them.

Perhaps someone here has purchased a pair - your thoughts!

Also, what was the size of the original rotors?

Thanks in advance.

The size is 11" and the two part rotors disadvantage is that they can come apart, altough it's not very common I believe.It also doesn't mean your wheel will fly off or anything but it's not really a good thing.
If you stay with stock or near stock rim size you're better off finding the one piece 11.75" cop rotors. I've seen them on ebay new as low as $75 but that's a while ago and very rare. I'm sure you can find a used set though.

resq302

The repro's are one piece due to the origianal two piece  design having flaws with heat disipation causing the rotors to warp.   Frank Mitchell has the rotors also on ebay and he is selling them in either single rotors or selling them as pairs.  I paid $300 for a pair of mine but that was about 6 mos. ago and the prices have gone up since then.  Supposedly, the repros are being made somewhere in Canada but I have no clue who is the company that does it.  I did have some fit issues with my rotors as they did not clear the calipers and had to be machined a bit (maybe 1/8" on the hub near pad surface section).  I also heard that the snout where the dust cap goes needs to be machined down for certan rims but my Magnum 500 rims cleared just fine.

All in all, the performance of the 4 piston compared to the old large single piston brake set up, in my opinion is much better with the 4 piston.  The downfall is part availability and pricing of the 4 piston set up.  Again, it is just my .02
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

Aprreciate the feedback folks.

After some research I have found that I have a later model disc brake set up on my car as somewhere in its 37 years, someone has removed the original disc brake set up, probably due to the lack of available parts.

I did have a pair of spindles lined up and saw Mitchells rotors and the ones at YO but will work with what I have.  I want a simple set up that is easy to maintain.  I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

I plan on removing everything this weekend and having all the parts acid dipped, painted and re-installed with new rotors ad pads.

I'll keep you folks up to date with photos.   :icon_smile_big:

700HPCharger

Switch to a later model, and then all the parts are available at the local part store.

andyf

If you already have the late model stuff on your car then you're all set.  New rotors are cheap, even for the high quality made in Canada ones.  new or rebuilt calipers are also cheap as are pads.