News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big News for 3rd gen owners- R/T Rallye tail light lenses are available repro

Started by twilt, June 02, 2006, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilt

Looks like PG classic has done it again. I saw these on ebay just a few minutes ago. Bet they will be a big seller. Its sure nice to see a company taking the initiative to repro some of these much needed parts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-1972-NEW-Mopar-Charger-RT-500-Taillight-Lenses_W0QQitemZ4646308653QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34207QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ramit

I think it is great that they are making all of those parts.   I realize it costs a lot of money to produce the molds for these parts but geez $375 seems a little steep for the lenses.  I could understand $200 or maybe even $250.  I have two sets of those tailights that could use lenses due to fading so it looks like I might have to start saving money because it will cost me $800 including shipping.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: ramit on June 02, 2006, 05:21:29 PM
I think it is great that they are making all of those parts.   I realize it costs a lot of money to produce the molds for these parts but geez $375 seems a little steep for the lenses.  I could understand $200 or maybe even $250. 

:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

twilt

As far as the price, $375 doesnt bother me as long as they are of good quality. remember that this item is directed at a fairly small market since the lenses only apply to 71 R/T, 71 500, and 72 Rallyes. I wonder if they are injection molded or if they have part numbers on them. While I am certainly no expert on the subject, I have read that the tooling cost for injection molding is extremely expensive(and usually farmed out to China)

72Rallye440

Twilt,
Are you planning on buying a set? I would be very interested in hearing about how they look and fit. Its your turn, I was the guinea pig for the wheel lip moldings!! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

72Rallye440

twilt

:image_294343: :image_294343: I really want to buy some right now and I`ve got an itchy finger to do so.  But as of right now, its not in the budget. I`ve been on a week long shopping spree. I dumped at least a grand this week on parts and had to borrow some of it from the wifey.  She`s pretty darn impatient about me paying her back too...... some nonsense about bills having to be paid............ I`ll agree to be the Guniea pig but it`ll probably be a couple weeks before i can do it.

Chargerguy74

I'm glad they're being reproduced now, and that I didn't spend a bunch of money buying originals. I hope they do have the part numbers on them, otherwise I wont buy them. I could use a few sets. BTW I dont think the price is that bad at all IF they are exactly like the originals.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

doctorpimp

Cool!
Now we only need some 73-74 Tailights, and the front signals  :icon_smile_big:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

chargedup

Quote from: doctorpimp on June 02, 2006, 10:03:37 PM
Cool!
Dont 4get the bumper to hood fillers!!!

haueter66

I have a couple extra sets of bezels laying around... maybe I could make a few sets?

twilt

Quote from: doctorpimp on June 02, 2006, 10:03:37 PM
Cool!

From what i understand, PG will be releasing the park/turn lenses very soon. (4-6 weeks)
I emailed them this morning asking if the tail lenses were cast resin or injection molded AND if they had chrysler part numbers. No answer so far............
PG by reputation makes decent repro parts at affordable prices. Many of the things they make wouldnt be considered suitable for a concours type restoration. 

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

71 Bee Man

Quote from: ramit on June 02, 2006, 05:21:29 PM
I think it is great that they are making all of those parts.   I realize it costs a lot of money to produce the molds for these parts but geez $375 seems a little steep for the lenses.  I could understand $200 or maybe even $250.  I have two sets of those tailights that could use lenses due to fading so it looks like I might have to start saving money because it will cost me $800 including shipping.

I've had auto lenses made by the guy whose link I've attached. I think I'll ask what he reckons it'd be to make them :

http://www.tailights.com

Trouble is I'm only one of a handfull of guys here in Australia who own a 71. Getting lenses to make moulds from is hard. He did make amber rears for my 71 Bee though.

Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Nacho-RT74

nice!!! ( to match with european standarts making amber turning lights )... 71super bee is the only model able to do that since rest of Chargers are one piece lense.

It looks something similar with 77/78 Monacos :P with amber lense on an USA car... is something weird to see.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

I've been watching those lenses as well, reason being I bought these off eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8066672195&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT and UPS decided that they would destroy them.  After all the watching of auctions the past few months and being outbid and not bidding I finally got these.  Right now I have a claim in with UPS, I noticed these the day after my broken ones arrived.  I'm tempted to buy them as long as the quality is good.  I am not too particular about the correct Chrysler markings on them.  If I buy some I'll share my thoughts.
1972 Charger SE

Jim Curnane

Don't buy now be patient let them circulate they will be out there for a lot less soon.

Judhudson

I would love to get ahold of some brand new bumper fillings, I need all new ones!  I hope someday somebody will repro those!

twilt

Quote from: Judhudson on June 05, 2006, 10:15:03 PM
I would love to get ahold of some brand new bumper fillings, I need all new ones!  I hope someday somebody will repro those!
Chargerkid (Rob) is working on getting the bumper fillers reproduced............. I never received a reply in regard to the tail light lenses having part numbers. I would bet a $20 that they do not. From what I understand......... if you do that, you have to get things licensed thru chrysler and that doing so is an expensive proposition.   

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

chargerkid

That is great to hear that those lenses are being reproduced.  I am going to purchase a pair.

I really think they should reproduce the front valance turn signal lenses. 

I can see paying $375.00 for the pair of lenses.  But I don't want to see a $100.00 per piece for the valance lens. 

Still in the process of the bumper reveal mouldings and Side rallye stripes.

The Ghoul

I think I like the SE lights best...
So Hopefully every one will be 'up grading' and some good SE lenses turn up for grabs soon  :apimp:

CharlieCharger

Would rallye tail lights work if the filler was changed? thanks :)
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

CDN72SE

Just received the repro taillight lenses and am very very happy with them.  I compared them side by side to an original pair and they are exact.  The colour, the way they fit in the bezels, and the markings were there (not the pentastar though).  Personally, the fact that they are new and look good is good enough for me.  I'm using them on my '72 SE so originality is not important.

They were packed very well and arrived in 4 business days (shipped and received within Canada).  I would definitely recommend them.
1972 Charger SE