News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help on correct date code engine for my charger

Started by troy.70R/T, July 13, 2024, 11:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Hello everyone. I have a question about my 70 Charger the build date is Nov 10th 1969. the correct engine was gone when I got it. I have a possible opportunity to buy a 383 date code of 11-1-69. would this have even been a logical date code to have been put in this car or is it to close to the production date of my car?

John_Kunkel

Is the engine build date the cast date on the side of the block or the stamped date on the top pad? In either case, all anybody can offer is an opinion but, if it's the stamped date, I say yes.

The build date on the fender tag is the scheduled build date not necessarily the actual build date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

troy.70R/T

I am not sure on the build date. Currently communicating with someone and he has not responded to that question. I just thought it would be very unlikely that I would find that casting date and build before NOV. 10th.

RallyeMike

It's not the original engine anyway, so I would go with it as a "period correct" engine. I don't think you are adding anything more by trying to find a slightly earlier block (if and when you can). FYI my 69 Charger's original engine casting date is exactly one month before the scheduled build date of Dec 4 68. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

Take my words here as an opinion since I was not there nor was anyone that I know....
The stories that I've heard and from what I have read, Proper date codes are relative to the equipment. Dates on engines were supposed to be about 2 months or more before the build date of the car. This is because the engine block has to be cast, cooled, machined, assembled and installed. Rarely would an engine block go from molten iron to fully assembled within 1 month.
Other things much simpler like alternators, starters, intake manifolds, etc could be closer to the build date but the engine is a far more complicated "part" requiring more time to be ready for installation.

triple_green

Things I've read say the engine build date was usually 2 or 3 months before the car build date.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

troy.70R/T

Thanks for all your help guys. I found out the build date on the engine is 7-18-69. so probably a little early for  the November built charger. I do have another 70 charger without the fender tag and no build sheet that it may work for but need some help on guessing about the production time of that car. Just trying to find an engine that is close to the production of these cars. I know it will probably will not help with the value of the cars but that does not matter to me because they are not for sale. Just kind of thought it would be a fun hunt.

Kern Dog

Here is an odd one....
I have a 440 from a 71 Chrysler 300. The casting date is 11-9-69.
Yeah, it was original. That is a LONG span between being cast and being installed.

troy.70R/T

From what I have been finding out the casting date of a block could be way off from the build date. I found a youtube video of a guy explaining about where all the Mopar big blocks were cast. All were cast in Indianapolis Indiana. They stored many of them outside and would just be shipped off for machining by whatever block was close to the front of the line. I would think most engines would have been built at least a month before scheduled production of the car so they did not have and engine shortage while building the cars.