News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picked up another Mopar. 1959 Dodge Sierra

Started by Dino, July 05, 2024, 07:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I've been looking at these cars for a while. I just love the way they look, especially the front end. I like all versions of the car, but really love the wagons. So last week I picked one up.
It has the original 361 and Torqueflite with push buttons, power steering, spectator option which is the 3rd row, reversed, bench with power rear window. This then has the spare tire in the rear quarter instead of the trunk.
The tire cover has rot, as does the driver side rocker and a small spot on the passenger side. Everything else is good. Everything works and besides some loose steering, it drives like a dream.
Colors are stock Coral and Pearl but heavy oxidation makes it hot pink and dull as can be. I could polish it, but that's a lot of work! I'm going to drive it as is for a while. Eventually I'll redo the front suspension and steering, install front disc brakes, and get some bigger wheels and tires.
Anyone else have a Forward Look Mopar?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

moparguy01

I've always wanted a finned car, but haven't found the right car. I always thought it would be fun.

Nice project!

John_Kunkel

I, too, am a wagon lover. Here's my '57 Sierra that I recently sold.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Todd Wilson

What a cool ride!  I would do some minor things and polish that paint and roll around it style!

Todd

Dino

I had trouble starting it today. I'd like to make a few modern changes. It already has dual exhaust. It's a 2 bbl with gasket goo between carb and intake. I'd like to get a 4 bbl intake and carb, and get rid of the points ignition. I'm not looking to beef up the engine, I just need strong spark. Any recommendations on what system to get?

Kern Dog

Rick Ehrenberg has an ebay store. I have a "Hi-Rev 7500" ignition kit from him. Electronic distributor, ECM and wiring.
I only needed the distributor and ECM since I already converted to electronic 20+ years ago.

RallyeMike

Great find Dino. Looks to be very solid which is a huge plus for the rust-prone Forward Look years. May be able to bring some life back into that paint with some elbow grease.

I have a 60 Plymouth Suburban and a 57 Dodge Coronet Club Coupe.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dino

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 08, 2024, 07:02:44 AMGreat find Dino. Looks to be very solid which is a huge plus for the rust-prone Forward Look years. May be able to bring some life back into that paint with some elbow grease.

I have a 60 Plymouth Suburban and a 57 Dodge Coronet Club Coupe.

Are you running electronic ignition on either? I'm considering the Pertronix ugrade as well. Basically just replace the points with solid state on the original distributor,and add a Flamethrower coil.

RallyeMike

Quote from: Dino on July 08, 2024, 07:02:50 PMAre you running electronic ignition on either? I'm considering the Pertronix ugrade as well. Basically just replace the points with solid state on the original distributor,and add a Flamethrower coil.

Yes, but via a different route: They both have 440s with 1972+ Chrysler electronic ignition systems.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dino

I'd like to convert from the stock 2 barrel to a modern 4 barrel carb. Would there be an issue getting the stock linkage to work? Any particular intake manifold I should look for? Not trying to turn this into a screamer, just make it reliable.

Any modern starters that fit this beast? The old one doesn't always want to spin snd sounds like it's dying.

metallicareload99

That thing is so cool, and looks nice :drive: The front end of the car reminds me of Fallout 3
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

timmycharger

RallyeMike

Quote from: Dino on July 10, 2024, 02:46:44 PMI'd like to convert from the stock 2 barrel to a modern 4 barrel carb. Would there be an issue getting the stock linkage to work? Any particular intake manifold I should look for? Not trying to turn this into a screamer, just make it reliable.

Any modern starters that fit this beast? The old one doesn't always want to spin snd sounds like it's dying.

I have zero stock drivetrain in both mine so I have no idea, but the folks at Forwardlook.net are pretty knowledgeable.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

b5blue

I know it can be tricky getting kick down for tranny to work right on carb swaps! I'd get a high quality rebuild on the carb and starter both before swapping out parts on a car that old.  :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: b5blue on July 14, 2024, 05:58:08 AMI know it can be tricky getting kick down for tranny to work right on carb swaps!

Actually, it's a little easier on FL cars because the KD linkage is on the firewall rather than on the engine.

Dino

I ended up buying the stock 4 barrel carb and intake that came on these. The 2 barrel needs a rebuild but honestly it runs really nice as is, so I think the stock 4 barrel is going to be fine. Until I upgrade the brakes, I'm not speeding in this car anyway!
Super fun car to drive.

Dino

I need A/C in this thing! :lol:

If anyone comes across a late 50s underdash unit, please let me know.

b5blue

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Dino on July 16, 2024, 03:03:29 PMI need A/C in this thing! :lol:

If anyone comes across a late 50s underdash unit, please let me know.

I went with a Vintage Air Mark IV, very similar to units from back then.

One of the hardest parts of an A/C installation is mounting the compressor and getting the correct pulleys. Bouchillon has both.

https://vintageair.com/mark-iv-under-dash-system-cool-only/

https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/567

Dino

Dino

Aw crap

b5blue

Oh no!! Can you shop vac up the loose crap and reinstall the dizzy?  :scratchchin: (I have had gummy motors run for years.)

Dino

I got a decent amount out, but I'm going to have to flush the engine a few times. Not sure with what yet.