News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time-travel

Started by lloyd3, July 04, 2024, 12:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Had an old geologist buddy (we both worked at Chevron together here, almost 40-years ago now) come by the house for the 1st time in many years (20?).

We'd gone for a ride in my car back in the mid-90s (shortly after I'd first taken possession) and, sadly, his life has been very turbulent since then. We'd lost touch over the years and he's in a very different place these days (kids grown, divorced, remarried, health-issues, living in Tennessee, now a grandparent, etc.) and in reconnecting after all that time he asked for just 1 favor...his birthday was yesterday and he wanted another ride. While we were catching-up (hard for two old guys to do in a noisey old muscle-car BTW), driving some of the more-remote back roads here, I realized how incredibly-good these cars are for all of that, as the memories just flooded back for us both.

Take an old buddy for a ride sometime and see how that all works for you.

Kern Dog

I don't remember much about how loud or quiet my red Charger was when I first got it. Nowadays with the solid lifter cam, 2" headers, 3" exhaust pipes and road holding suspension, it does make some noise going down the road.
I can still talk louder than the car!

lloyd3

Without AC here in July, all the windows were down, so we had lots of wind-noise too.  But...my hearing is clearly impaired  anymore, just ask my wife.

Kern Dog

I've posted about wind noise in these cars.
I have set out to eliminate as much as I can within reason.
There are things we can do but they would take away from the beautiful styling features that these cars have.
Any exterior feature that traps or disrupts airflow will make noise.
Vent windows, windshield moldings, windshield wipers, drip rail moldings, recessed grille, tires tucked in also allow air to get scooped by the wheel openings.
We can add sound deadening to the inside but the outside is where a LOT of noise comes from.

lloyd3

20-years ago the wind noise would have been insignificant. My buddy and I are both 66-years old now so...there are other issues at play here. I'm just happy that we could both be present to do this and then enjoy it.  These cars are rolling art and they evoke strange emotions in folks (largely because of the memories they "trigger").  I won't think of something for 40-years and them somehow remember it while driving this car. Funny stuff, sad stuff, and poignant stuff. The years roll by and this car remains as it always has for me...to enjoy all of its components: the visual, the audibel, the physical, and now even the intangible.