News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's a fair price to pay for a sure grip center section?

Started by Dino, June 20, 2024, 06:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

70 sublime

I am in Canada so this is Canadaian prices 
I bought a rebuilt 489 case with all new guts sure grip 3.23 gears in it a couple years ago
By the time with shipping I believe I was around $2000

It was one of the pieces I wanted for my 70 build
Too much $$ ?
I have it now and do not care if it was
Just another piece of the build puzzle

The guy that built it had a very large selection of different third members all ready to go advertised in our local classifieds
I just searched for him but came up empty
I see him list more from time to time and will save the ad next time I come across it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Old Moparz

I see used ones from $450 to $650 or so with no guarantee other than the, "I was told it worked when pulled" BS. New has to be like what 70 sublime said, $2000 range. The sure grip unit itself is a few hundred.

Are you going to Carlisle next month?

Mancini is usually there & offers a discount at the show. Their website has a couple, complete.....

https://www.manciniracing.com/comcen.html
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

John_Kunkel

The value depends a lot on the style of the differential, the cone-type is less desirable than the clutch-type.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Thanks guys. I found this one about an hour away. $600 obo. Looks to be a 741 case but I don't race it. I currently have same case and ratio but open. I never driven a sure grip but was told acceleration is better. Is it worth the swap?

"Chrysler Center Section with 3.23 gears and a new sure grip.  Minor pitting on a few teeth shown in photos."

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nacho-RT74

I got the Carrier (Yukon brand, clutch kind), new on around $200 or so as far I remember and installed a new set of 3.55 gears for 489 I got NOS on a old local Mopar Dealer on $80 or so. My car already had the 489 case.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

marshallfry01

Just get a tru track added to your current third member. If your gears are in good shape and it's the ratio you want, that would be the best bet.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.