News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dynamat Who has done it ??

Started by 70 sublime, June 18, 2024, 10:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

car 18 06 2024.jpgwheel 18 06 2024.jpgback 18 06 2024.jpgseat 18 06 2024.jpg

My 70 Charger is sitting like this in my garage
Getting ready to move it back to the farm shop to get some more done to it

I have no interior in it but have rounded up a nice set of seats for it
Found a wood grain steering wheel also
About all that is left is to find a console pistol grip shifter handle but I can live with the straight one for now

My question is has anyone had a running car and took it apart to instal dynamat or something like that and got the car all back together and notice a big improvement in noise or heat inside the car when driving ??

Lots have done the mat thing but on a restore car so have no real comparison of before and after so just say it is a lot better for the work they put in to get it there 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

armor64

i dont have a Before on the charger, but my old 78 gmc i had on the road with its old 350 for years before i tore it apart to fix rust and resto it a bit. when i did, i added dynamat all over everything below the rear window, and the resonance in the truck cab went away almost completely. Cant say i noticed any heating difference, but at the time it was factory manifolds and such and no cat under the cab to super heat anything.

since then i had done the mats on everything we build, dads 51 chevy truck and the 68 charger, and it always seems nice afterwards to us.

gtx6970

I use Rattle trap from fatmat.com

But have done 4 or 5 cars this way.

HIGHLY recommend it

70 sublime

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 08, 2024, 11:45:37 AMI use Rattle trap from fatmat.com

But have done 4 or 5 cars this way.

HIGHLY recommend it

How many square feet did you use on a second gen b body type car ?
Did you cover just floor or and firewall under roof inside the doors ?

70sixpkrt

I used Killmat under the back seat. It did bring down some of the road noise.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Kern Dog

I find it interesting how a product gets a name that is so good, it is used everywhere.
Remember when people would say Xerox that and pass them out to the staff?
Lets get a Coke...
I wanted to find a good restaurant so I Googled it...

Some names just click and are comfortable to say. Dynamat is a name that feels good to say.
I have used products with different names but with the same function. I have Rattle Trap in my red car and a 72 Duster. Jigsaw has Noico mats. They all are similar to each other from what I can tell. I've been told that it isn't necessary to cover every square inch of the interior with the stuff, though many people do. The stuff reduces noise by adding density to the metal panels which absorbs vibrations. Often times, these products do not reduce heat that much but they do reduce noise.

timmycharger

I can't recall how much I used or what brand but I covered my floors with it before putting the carpet in. I don't remember my car being really bad with heat before but it was very noisy.

I can confidently say that the noise level was reduced after putting that in. I had the same 440 and headers before and after installing it.

BrianShaughnessy

I did some generic brown betty in Black Betty...  and then I did some generic foil faced stuff on a big roll in Sinnamon that I even did the roof in.    Highly recommended unless you're freaked out about adding weight.

Google it or ebay... whatever.   There's pre-cut kits out there or rolls.    It's a few hours of your life that will pay off later.   :coolgleamA:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

moparstuart

im in the process of  doing it right now  and am using Amazon basic    so far so good 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4e7RlqD6N8     this is why i chose basic     
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70 sublime

The video mentions he has used more than one layer
Are you just planing on one layer over everything ?

69wannabe

I think I used something called thermo tech but it seemed to be just like the dyno mat stuff. My car seemed to feel not so tinny maybe,lol. I felt like it was a good choice so no regrets here.

moparstuart

Quote from: 70 sublime on July 20, 2024, 07:18:37 AMThe video mentions he has used more than one layer
Are you just planing on one layer over everything ?
I think just one.  But I'll see how it lays down and feels

Kern Dog

Dynamat was available in different thicknesses.
It wouldn't hurt to take a look at how the OEMs approached the issue. Look at some of the quietest cars built and see how they are insulated. First of all, new cars with exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters are already quieter than ours with headers and 3" exhaust pipes. New cars have no vent windows, no stainless window trim, most have aero side view mirrors, door handles and wipers.
Keep in mind the principle of the point of diminishing returns. This a real thing. If one layer cuts noise by 60%, two layers may only eliminate 75% but it adds a lot of weight.

metallicareload99

:iagree: I was looking at the inside of a door and maybe 1/3 of the area had sound absorbing mat on it.

I just used a roll of smoke stack sealer like this, super cheap @ any hardware store and works pretty good
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

moparstuart

Doing it now using Amazon basic.  Stuff works great for cheap.   I'm doing it more for heat. As I'm finally adding A/C. And my tunnel and fire wall and floors are always cooking .   Noise reduction will be minimal as it's a convertible

70 sublime

Looks good
Have been following you progress in your thread

moparstuart

NHCharger

I installed it in both my 68 and 69 Chargers. With the amount of heat the 440's produce it was worth it. Make sure you run it up the firewall far as you can.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Back N Black

I used what is installed in modern day cars, it is 12" by 12" square, peel off backing sticks to floor and conforms great. I will try and dig up the info on the product. I can't compare before and after because I did not drive the charger before restoration. But I don't feel a lot of heat from the floor.

70 sublime

These sound proof heat proof type matting to put on the floors has anyone used the same stuff on the inside of the roof ?
Will the roof get hot out in the sun and melt it and have it fall off into the head liner ??

Factory had a fuzzy fabric type stuff that was glued on the inside of the roof is it best to find something like that for this area ?

Kern Dog

A guy that I know has a '70 Barracuda. He put the sound deadener in the roof and C pillars. I'm told his car is pretty quiet inside despite a pretty rowdy stroked 440 in it.

b5blue

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 11, 2024, 06:31:03 AMThese sound proof heat proof type matting to put on the floors has anyone used the same stuff on the inside of the roof ?
Will the roof get hot out in the sun and melt it and have it fall off into the head liner ??

Factory had a fuzzy fabric type stuff that was glued on the inside of the roof is it best to find something like that for this area ?
I never trusted that stuff much. For a year I drove my 70 Charger with NO interior and tracked heat. Next I researched blocking heat. Fiberglass mat and thermal isolation around the firewall and hump was more effective than matting. Most is dead weight.

AKcharger

I did my 1st '70 with dynamat..no difference

b5blue

I forgot to mention I use stock stuff on the roof.