News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Align your car at home?

Started by Kern Dog, May 29, 2024, 12:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

This might have made the Mopar LCA bushings work better from the factory - A newer bushing design with the center layer of steel in the rubber.  IIRC modern Mustangs have them on the front LCA.

The extra metal layer stiffens the bushing for lateral movement (handling), but it doesn't stiffen the rubber up as much in other ways like twisting forces (normal up-down suspension movement) or big impacts (car hitting curbs/potholes).  So you can run a bigger bushing without it feeling too floppy in handling.   

Part of the reason to want these things in our cars' LCAs (if it was possible) would just be longevity.  With softer twisting resistance the bushing would last much longer in daily usage.  And it might have prevented the problem of Mopar K-frames getting fatigue cracks around the LCA mounting tubes.  Too bad this bushing design wasn't around 50 years ago.   

Dino

I got these Longacre toe plates today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't they be flat and parallel to each other in order to have a correct reading? These are not straight. This is with one end touching. Maybe I should just stick with strings.

https://a.co/d/0anAYBb1
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

It is hard to tell with the blurry picture.
If the plates are not bent or warped, having the slits at a slightly different height will not matter.

Dino

It's not the slits, it's the gap between two plates. They don't lay flat against each other. This picture is s bit better. The.gap is like this on both sides.

70 sublime

Is this gap on both ends of the plates to measure from  ?

If you put both plates on the floor like you would have them on under the car but slide them tight together I bet you will get the exact same number if you measure front and back distances from the slots
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

You put ONE of those plates against the left wheel and the other plate against the right wheel, then attach the tape measure to one, then measure to the other.
Those plates do not both lay together to obtain the toe measurement.

Dino

Right, and since they are not perfectly straight, they are not parallel to each other so I don't see how these will give me an accurate reading.

Kern Dog

For toe plates, there are numerous ways to get the numbers.
You can do this:

NASCAR X.jpg

Dino

Kern Dog

It shows that setting the toe is the easiest part of alignment.