News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heat Gauge Climbing 68 Charger 383

Started by Lost Sheep68, May 27, 2024, 11:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Sheep68

Having trouble with my temp gauge in my 68 Charger 383 rally dash. We replaced the temp gauge sending unit, new gasket,new thermostat. It climbs to maxed out and stays there. Could the water pump impeller have broken off and that be the reason why it shows hot? Or ground to body possibly? Any help would be appreciated thanks
If You Ain't First, You're Last.

histoy

Consider buying a thermal temp gun to see what the actual temp of the engine is running to help with trouble shooting.  I check the temp at the thermostat housing.  You may also have air trapped in the cooling system.  I run the engine with the radiator cap off to help bleed out the air.  Parking with the front of the car elevated while doing this helps sometimes as well. 

Wingnut426

If you have a fan clutch, make sure it hasn't gone bad. Incorrect timing of your engine can make it run hot. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

John_Kunkel

Quote from: histoy on May 28, 2024, 07:20:06 AMConsider buying a thermal temp gun to see what the actual temp of the engine is running to help with trouble shooting.  I check the temp at the thermostat housing.

:iagree:  Be sure the engine is actually running hot.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

metallicareload99

Quote from: Lost Sheep68 on May 27, 2024, 11:59:47 PMHaving trouble with my temp gauge in my 68 Charger 383 rally dash. We replaced the temp gauge sending unit, new gasket,new thermostat. It climbs to maxed out and stays there. Could the water pump impeller have broken off and that be the reason why it shows hot? Or ground to body possibly? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Do the other gauges read properly? Definitely get some other temp readings, could be an air bubble  :Twocents: 
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Lost Sheep68

Yes, all my other gauges work properly. We're considering replacing the water pump and installing an idiot gauge as well.
If You Ain't First, You're Last.