News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help/suggestion on removing engine.

Started by joww3, May 30, 2006, 04:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joww3

Hi, I have never pull an engine out of a car before, is it easier to pull only the engine, or pull the engine with the transmission together? it is a 383 in a 71 Charger, everything is already disconnected and removed down to the short block. the only thing left are the engine mounts and the rear mount. Also where should the lifting points are? can I hook the chains up on the heads? or should I pull the intake manifold back in and use the lifting plate on the intake? but that seems like would be hard to tilt the engine to clear the tranny. It sure is tough to be the first timer. Thanks.

mikepmcs

IMHO, you should pull them both together.  Lift up the back end of the car and you'll clear the rad and support easier.
I'd use the head bolt holes if you already have the intake out, but don't use the head bolts if you plan to reuse them.
I'm sure there are a lot more experienced people than I that will tell you exactly where to put the chain, but that has worked for me in the past.
Good luck.
v/r
Mike

I'm adding this cause i just reread your post.  If this is your first time I urge you to research the threads on pulling motors on this site.  just start typing in the search bar feature like engine pulling and well you get the idea.  There is a good one on a 73 charger in there and others.  please do a little research, these guys are genious/some borderline car gods... on here in my opinion and really know there stuff. 

They will pipe up too, just be patient and you'll get all the answers you need.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

joww3

Thanks Mike, the head bolt holes that you said, are those the one where the intake manifolds goes? the ones on driver side front bolt and the Passenger side rear looks strong which goes all the way into the head. and there are holes on the outside of the head, they are at D-side rear and P-side front, which looks strong too. I was thinking about using those. I will do a more detail search to find the thread that you suggested, thanks again.

mikepmcs

actually the best way i've found is to attach to all four outside corners of the manifold(manifold removed, just use the holes), like you said where the bolts go in to the head.  the ones that bolt the manifold to the head. I guess my above wording was a little foggy, sorry.  Just don't use the intake bolts(that's what i meant). Use some grade 8 (mil spec) bolts.  And i suggest using chain.  some actually use a rope sling, but my cherry picker has chain.  much more reliable.  also in one post i found it said they lifted the front end to provide clearing for the tranny removal, but i think you would still have to raise the rear as well.  It also seemed he ended up having to lower the front anyway cause it got hung up.  If you are removing radiator(i would suggest removing the radiator anyways to be on the safe side) and support then it isn't an issue.  but i'd start with removing the hood(marking all bolt align locations)  draining all fluids, removing and marking any wires that are connected, remove anything that can get broken(dist, coil, etc...) because that is a heavy beast and anything lighter than it will give and break first, you get the idea.  Then go to the bolts after that.  I also suggest if you haven't already get yourself some PB BLASTER(magnetic lubricant) to break down the rust on all bolts that need to be removed.  soak em and then do everything else and by the time you get done with fluids, wires and such, the bolts should come right out.  It has to be PB Blaster, no substitute. No i don't work for PB Blast company..lol.
Ok that should get you started, take your time and try not to get frustrated, go over everything at least twice before you start jacking and it should be painless. Easy for me to say right :icon_smile_big:  Have fun with it!!!!
good luck and keep posting cause when you get to the tranny disconnect i imagine you might have some more questions about the rear disconnect, maybe not but who knows, just make sure you bag the rear of the tranny cause it will leak and make a mess, even if you've already drained it.  We'll be here! :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

joww3

I finally pulled the engine today, I chose to pull the engine by itself, and remove tranny later. I had some help from my son, and it was not as hard as I thought, it had to be lifted out from the side of the car, but it all went ok, the worst thing was not being sure that I could do it or not.
Thanks a lot for your help Mike. and I did bought a can of those PB Blaster. they were on sell for $2.99