News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Road Trip

Started by zacater, April 11, 2022, 01:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacater

Has anyone taken their Dodge Charger on road trips?
I've thought about doing a cross country road trip once I get mine but thought I'd ask and hear some stories that might either deter or excite me.

What issues did you come across ?
What precautions did you take ?
What's the furthest you've taken your charger ?

Mytur Binsdirti

I've driven from Eastern MA to the Chrysler Proving Grounds (twice) and car meets Pittsburg, NY, NJ, and all over the northeast back in the late 70's - mid 80's. With the advent of more comfortable cars and a/c, taking the old cars on long road trips is a thing of the past, although I'd have no problem driving one on a 200-300 mile round trip on a nice day with a comfortable temperature.

Took enough tools & parts to change the usual stuff; ballast resistor, voltage regulator, points, condenser, rotor, cap & a couple quarts of oil. Can't say that I ever had a need to change any of them.

Homerr

Was it taxspeaker that took his Superbird to Alaska?  Anyone able to find the thread?

cdr

Quote from: zacater on April 11, 2022, 01:52:58 PM
Has anyone taken their Dodge Charger on road trips?
I've thought about doing a cross country road trip once I get mine but thought I'd ask and hear some stories that might either deter or excite me.

What issues did you come across ?
What precautions did you take ?
What's the furthest you've taken your charger ?
I have driven mine from Katy Tx to Austin Tx, not a long trip, 320 miles round trip, but I do have AC & overdrive trans, high 10 sec street car, I drive to the track about 150ish miles round trip a couple times a year
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

moparstuart

Quote from: Homerr on April 11, 2022, 02:59:34 PM
Was it taxspeaker that took his Superbird to Alaska?  Anyone able to find the thread?
he is getting ready to do it again  now       http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,141075.0.html
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

v21hemicharger

In 2013 I did the Power Tour in my 68 RT.  Total trip was 7622 miles.  Went from Ca to Louisiana to pick up my brother and ended up in Charlotte for the last stop.  Charlotte to Ca in 3 days.  Turned 100k on the trip and celebrated with burnout

Nacho-RT74

My Charger used to be a driver before take it to the body shop, so when I had to drive along the country just did it. In fact the body shop I did choose is/was around 900 miles from home so that was a road trip itself LOL. Sure Venezuela is about the size of Texas ( or a tad smaller ) LOL.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Been a few years since I took Betty to Carlisle.   About 275 miles each way... in July, in a no AC black car.   With the OD 5 speed it's not too bad actually...   Just over 4 hours at 75 / 80 mph.  Left early morning, stopped for gas somewhere along 78 in PA at the stop for Cabelas.   I didn't take much special besides a few basic spares and cleaning supplies.   

Return trip - left Saturday night around 7 and got home 11 or 12ish.    Got up the next day,  washed all the dead bugs off and went to the car show uptown.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

yellocharge68

In my continuing effort to be forward thinking/planning these trips you all talk about are in my kind of plans.  between now, and the next three years when I retire, I plan to re-aquire a 68/70 Charger and do this myself !!!  I haven't decoded if it's the Hot Rod Power Tour, or one of the trips to Carlisle, either way, this all sounds like an awesome time !!!
Sunfire Yellow 1968 Dodge Charger 383/727 auto-console

RallyeMike

Probably the ultimate for me so far was driving #41 from Seattle WA to Wendover NV, racing it in the Bonneville 100, taking first place in my class (12th overall), and driving 800 miles back home. The comment heard most that weekend was "...you DROVE that here?!"  :lol:  

Of course, the the 26 hours of travel was made in substantially less time. The wide-open spaces of OR, ID and NV are a pleasure. No tickets. The only casualties were a starter relay, my ear drums, and my ass (hard racing seat). No heat, AC, radio, or even an adjustable seat. The car only got faster, louder, and finnickier, and is still just as uncomfortable, so that never happened again.

I drive my other cars year-round as weather allows, but I'm not interested in anything longer than a day trip anymore.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

70 sublime

Day trips sound about right
Farthest I have been is a couple hours away to pick up an intake manifold and then back again

Not sure how well I would sleep if my car was sitting in a hotel parking lot over night
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

taxspeaker

Here is my checklist I used for first Alaska trip, modified for upcoming trip

Trunk Crate 1 (I used milk crates to hold stuff and bungee attached them internally in trunk so they would not move around)
2-1 gallon 50/50 antifreeze mix      
2 Quarts Brad Penn oil      
1 brake fluid      
1 power steering fluid      
2 quarts Royal Purple transmission fluid      
2 tubes gasket sealer      
Can of flat fix      
Cable Ties      
Fender Cover      
5 fuel treatment      
WD-40      

Trunk Box 2-Parts
1 power steer belt   
1 altern belt   
2 Mopar elec ign box   
2 large worm clamps   
2 medium worm clamps   
2 small worm clamps   
Duct tape   
Coil   
Ballast resistor   
Voltage regulator   
Fuses   
Electric tape   
4 alligator clips   
30' wire-12& 14 gauges   
Electrical connectors   
Fusible link   
Wire crimps   
Alternator   
Knife   
Starter Relay   

Trunk Box 3 Tools
Electric Impact for lugnuts & other
Toolbox
Aluminum shop jack (special for the trip)
AllNOne Battery starter
Siphon Hose

Back Seat Floor
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit
Claw Hammer for persuasion
Paper Towels
Trash Bags

Console
Cell phone, USB lighter adapter & cord
Drink holder
Flashlight
Satellite Phone (Alaska Highway no cell service)
Checklist & log book WITH PENS
Road atlas
Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Tums

DRIVE IT-that's what they were made for-I am driving Black SUperbird next week to Moparfest at Battleships in Mobile Alabama from Indiana

Enjoy it and be prepared at every single stop to get lots of questions, a few pictures, and stories that "My brother/friend/Dad/neighbor owned one just like it"
Bob

cdr

Quote from: taxspeaker on April 13, 2022, 03:02:14 PM

Trunk Crate 1 (I used milk crates to hold stuff and bungee attached them internally in trunk so they would not move around)
2 Quarts Brad Penn oil      
1 brake fluid      
1 power steering fluid      
2 tubes gasket sealer      
Can of flat fix      
Cable Ties      
Fender Cover      
5 fuel treatment      
WD-40      

Trunk Box 2-Parts
1 power steer belt   
1 altern belt   
2 Mopar elec ign box   
2 large worm clamps   
2 medium worm clamps   
2 small worm clamps   
Duct tape   
Coil   
Ballast resistor   
Voltage regulator   
Fuses   
Electric tape   
4 alligator clips   
30' wire-12& 14 gauges   
Electrical connectors   
Fusible link   
Wire crimps   
Alternator   
Knife   
Starter Relay   

Trunk Box 3 Tools
Toolbox
AllNOne Battery starter
Siphon Hose

Back Seat Floor
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit
Paper Towels
Trash Bags

Console
Drink holder
Flashlight
Road atlas

DRIVE IT-that's what they were made for-I am driving Black SUperbird next week to Moparfest at Battleships in Mobile Alabama from Indiana

Enjoy it and be prepared at every single stop to get lots of questions, a few pictures, and stories that "My brother/friend/Dad/neighbor owned one just like it"
Bob

I admire you !!!!! I drive mine BUT its just a Charger
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

keepat

Quote from: cdr on April 13, 2022, 03:32:49 PM
Quote from: taxspeaker on April 13, 2022, 03:02:14 PM

2 Quarts Brad Penn oil      
1 brake fluid      
1 power steering fluid      
2 tubes gasket sealer      
Can of flat fix      
Cable Ties      
Fender Cover      
5 fuel treatment      
WD-40      

Trunk Box 2-Parts
1 power steer belt   
1 altern belt   
2 Mopar elec ign box   
2 large worm clamps   
2 medium worm clamps   
2 small worm clamps   
Duct tape   
Coil   
Ballast resistor   
Voltage regulator   
Fuses   
Electric tape   
4 alligator clips   
30' wire-12& 14 gauges   
Electrical connectors   
Fusible link   
Wire crimps   
Alternator   
Knife   
Starter Relay   

Trunk Box 3 Tools
Toolbox
AllNOne Battery starter
Siphon Hose

Back Seat Floor
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit
Paper Towels
Trash Bags

Console
Drink holder
Flashlight
Road atlas

Bob

I admire you !!!!! I drive mine BUT its just a Charger

I admire both of you for how you use your cars! Great road trip parts list Taxspeaker!
Pat

Kern Dog

Well, crap...I can't top that but I have driven mine from the Sacramento area to Los Angeles 4 times. Each one averaged just under 1000 miles total. I'm going to do it again next week.
I just brought a small tool set, a few parts and the usual stuff. I haven't had anything break but the RH exhaust hanger.....twice.

Nacho-RT74

Damn... I never have need anything like that list, except the water pump/steering pump hose which broke on the highway on a 600 miles travel ( 1200 in total ). And I just had a small rachet set with basic socket setup and a couple of screwdrivers along with small wrench set and my Victorinox Swiss Tool. Certainlly one ECU. Not even a bottle jack. I really have used the factory bumper jack twice with success, which goes really well for its intended purpouse.

Next long trip will get at least that belt as spare with me because you can't drive without water pump. I could get at least one of the double A/C-Alt belt setup... you can drive with no A/C and batt up to a shop. If both of the dual belts get broken, you can forgett the A/C and keep the alt up with the spare single belt.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mike DC

I usually don't bother to carry a lot of fluids because any gas station or truckstop has the stuff on the shelf.  

The gas station stuff might not be the ideal brand/weight/etc, but it's close enough to limp the car to an auto parts store if there is trouble.  If the car is losing fluid too fast to make it to a gas station then you've got bigger problems.  If the car has an existing fluid-loss issue then you probably shouldn't be doing the trip.    

Tools?  Yeah.  Definitely carry some tools.  And basic fix-it items like fuses & tape & zip ties.