News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does anyone do a bulge hood in steel?

Started by mikesbbody, May 24, 2006, 05:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesbbody

Im wondering if anyone out there knows if anyone makes a repo 71-72 bulge hood in steel? I know of a place in canada that does fiberglass and its no problem geting e body hoods in steel but why no 71-72 b body? maybe there is and i havent heard of it? im sure they would sell if anyone knows of anything please email me at mikesbbody@hotmail.com thanks mike.

doctorpimp

Sorry Mike,
No one is reproing them, yet.
You'll have to wait for a steel hood...like the rest of us :icon_smile_big:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

mikesbbody

yeah, it sucks that nobody is doing them in steel like i said i believe there's a market for them our only other option is finding a good used one (not the easiest these days) or fiberglass...

twilt

I`ll have to play devils advocate on this one. I for one don`t believe there is a viable market for someone to reproduce and sell 3rd gen powerbulge  hoods and make a profit. Not all..... but a  lot of 3rd gen owners are penny pinchers. When power bulge hoods were $300, they complained that they couldnt afford that and didnt buy. When prices went up to $500, the same people said "this is bleeping crazy, i`ll never pay $500 for a used hood"  Now a good used one sells for around 800-900. Am i supposed to believe that a lot of people would  buy a repro hood for around $500 and pay another $200 to have it shipped?  Sorry.........I`m not buying it.  :Twocents:

andy74

I would pay 500 for a decent used bulge hood-problem ive seen is all the ones in the 500 range are rotted to shit,and are 2 damn far away or they are priced in the 1000 plus range

doctorpimp

Quote from: twilt on May 24, 2006, 02:31:17 PM
I`ll have to play devils advocate on this one. I for one don`t believe there is a viable market for someone to reproduce and sell 3rd gen powerbulge  hoods and make a profit. Not all..... but a  lot of 3rd gen owners are penny pinchers. When power bulge hoods were $300, they complained that they couldnt afford that and didnt buy. When prices went up to $500, the same people said "this is bleeping crazy, i`ll never pay $500 for a used hood"  Now a good used one sells for around 800-900. Am i supposed to believe that a lot of people would  buy a repro hood for around $500 and pay another $200 to have it shipped?  Sorry.........I`m not buying it.  :Twocents:
I think that USED to be true, but then again 10-12 years ago 3rd gens were viewed as the "could have been" cousins of the 2nd gens.  Mostly all post '71 Mopes were looked at with disdain for not being "true musclecars", not collector enough...
But due to the fact that the collector car Mopars have gone the way of Barrett-Jackson etc. more people are into 3rd gens now, not because they are cheap but because they are affordable.  $500 for a NEW hood would sell quite well IMO. 

hemihead

I would rather pay a company $500 for a brand new one than pay some greedy SOB $500 or more on a used one just on the sake of principle.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

The Ghoul

I personally have good hinges and a car that never came with it stock. So I have no issues with the fiberglass ones.

twilt

Quote from: hemihead on May 24, 2006, 05:20:45 PM
I would rather pay a company $500 for a brand new one than pay some greedy SOB $500 or more on a used one just on the sake of principle.

what qualifies a person as a greedy SOB?  I think it is fair to say that ebay auctions, to some degree, set  current market values. If a person is needing  to sell a power bulge hood, should that person be considered  a "greedy SOB" for expecting to sell it for current fair market value?

hemihead

Quote from: The Ghoul on May 24, 2006, 05:33:59 PM
I personally have good hinges and a car that never came with it stock. So I have no issues with the fiberglass ones.
Yeah I think I would buy a fiberglass one and recommend it to everyone else.Until they repro this much needed part.
  BTW - Does anyone consider E-gouge to be a yardstick of fair market value? I have seen to many threads on here complaining about how crazy some of the buyers and sellers are on there.
  Led Zeppelin

doctorpimp

eBay IS the problem.  10 years ago, you had to scour MCG ads or swap meets to find car parts.  Now you can do a search in a matter of minutes for the exact part on eBay (in your underwear).  The problem is that since it's an auction, the prices are inflated and will stay that way because guys know what this "junk" is worth to us...
I am an eBay junkie for more than just car parts so I'm really not bashing.  It's just reality... :icon_smile_dead:

twilt

I dont see ebay as the problem. For me at has been great. I`d much rather ebay than scrounge swap meets or do biz with most (not all) of the major mopar salvage yards.  a sample of the awesome deals i have found.  7 parts cars @$500 or less (to include 3 power bulge hoods), cherry 71 71 R/T hood for $375, 2 mint 72 fenders $120, 73-74 rear valance with cut-outs $28.50, 4 am/fm radios @$50 or less, and lots lots more.  I see a lot worse prices everyday right here in the parts for sale section. 

doctorpimp

Quote from: twilt on May 24, 2006, 07:52:51 PM
I dont see ebay as the problem. For me at has been great. I`d much rather ebay than scrounge swap meets or do biz with most (not all) of the major mopar salvage yards.  a sample of the awesome deals i have found.  7 parts cars @$500 or less (to include 3 power bulge hoods), cherry 71 71 R/T hood for $375, 2 mint 72 fenders $120, 73-74 rear valance with cut-outs $28.50, 4 am/fm radios @$50 or less, and lots lots more.  I see a lot worse prices everyday right here in the parts for sale section. 
We are getting off of the main topic...
Most of us here have had some great deals from eBay.  Like I said, I wasn't bashing.  It's just Supply and Demand - the supply is diminishing and the demand (and audience) is greater because of the WWW and eBay is there to help feed the fire.  Where I live, I wouldn't be able to scour for parts without eBay  :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

They will repro a stock "flat" version of any hood before they'll do any variations.

And like it or not, they will probably repro the stock 1968/69 Charger hoods before doing any 3rd-gen hoods.  And we're nowhere near seeing the 68/69 hoods yet.

twilt

Quote from: doctorpimp on May 24, 2006, 07:59:47 PM

We are getting off of the main topic...
Most of us here have had some great deals from eBay.  Like I said, I wasn't bashing.  It's just Supply and Demand - the supply is diminishing and the demand (and audience) is greater because of the WWW and eBay is there to help feed the fire.  Where I live, I wouldn't be able to scour for parts without eBay  :icon_smile_big:

Sure..... we are getting off the topic, but what the heck, the answer to the initial post was a simple no.  I know you weren`t really bashing the ebay experience. I am more baffled as to why hemihead seems to think that  the sellers of power bulge hoods priced at $500 or more to be greedy SOBs and doesnt seem to feel that the selling prices on ebay should  be considered as an indicator of current fair market value.  If someone offered me a nice power bulge for $500, i certainly would not consider that person to be a "greedy sob"  I`d be shaking their hand and forkin over the dough.

Dont get me wrong, i`d love to see someone start stamping out the hoods. I just dont believe that that they would sell as well as one might think. Like i said before, a $500 hood would still end up costing $700 shipped. In my opinion, thats still more $$  than a lot of the prospective buyers would be willing/able to pay.

twilt

Quote from: The Ghoul on May 24, 2006, 05:33:59 PM
chances are you would have an issue with a fiberglass one, should you ever actually buy one,  once you find out how poorly that they are made.
I never can understand why people would consider buying such rubbish just to save a few hundred bucks.

mikesbbody

HI guys thanks to everyone who has taken time to read and post their opinions on the repo bulge hood thing I am new to this forum, and didnt expect such interest (keep it coming!) Ive read all your comments and i will try to touch base on a few things. First of all price. I am from new zealand so whatever you guys pay i would pay 2-3 times more so 500 + 200 shipping to me is no big thing (btw im not made of money!) (years ago 2002, i bought a 71 super bee hood here in new zealand sight unseen no insert 1500.00 (new zealand dollars) and it turned out to be crap! basically, i would buy whatever was in the best condition (used or repo steel if they are ever made) as for ebay i havent bought any big items i did bid on a mint looking rt hood complete with insert i put 1000.00 on it and only lost the bid by 25 bucks! (doh!) ok, so i was asleep when when auction finished... I do think its about bidding at the right time sometimes people just dont bid or the seller lists the item incorrect...twilt said there wouldnt be a marlket for these hoods (maybe he's right?) i guess just because i would have no problem paying, doesnt mean everyone else would. fibergalss hoods? i cant comment on the quality but here's a link for you guys to look at i would be interested to hear what you all think the guy told me the bolt on hoods accept regular hinges, but he recommends using hood pins due to the lighter weight. I did find another place that did bulge hood in fiberglass this place was in the usa but they just did the 74 style with no "louvers" at the windscreen end of the hood anyway here's the link check i out http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/charger.html thanks again guys! mike.   

twilt

Is there a market for the hoods? sure there is. Is there a viable enough market into which a investor can justify dumping $100,000 + into tooling to make the hood? I dont think so.   How many units can they sell in 12 months? 100-not enough. 500-not enough, 1000? might be enough, but is it a realistic sales goal?

Fiberglass? I will never buy another repro fiberglass part in my life if at all possible. The quality and durability is crap, the $$ savings insignificant. I`d much rather pay $800 for a good used steel  hood than $400 for a fiberglass peice of shit that will require 40 hours of labor to make it look presentable in paint and then will inevitably warp over time. Most of the people around here  recommending fiberglass hoods have never owned one.  :Twocents:

mikesbbody

twilt has mentioned that he has owned a fiberglass body part and that it was crap. I never gave this too much thought to be honest I never thought about any additional work being needed i just assumed it would be ok. Of course, i would go for a good steel hood and hopefully i wll find one. But this starts another question...anyone else had  bad experience with a fiberglass part (i.e needing exta work etc?) thanks again mike.

twilt

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7193.0.html

Most fiberglass reproduction parts will need a LOT of prep work to be made presentable.

Troy

Quote from: mikesbbody on May 24, 2006, 10:49:36 PM
But this starts another question...anyone else had  bad experience with a fiberglass part (i.e needing exta work etc?)
Everyone who's ever owned a fiberglass part... :)

Most, if not all, manufacturers of fiberglass parts will tell you that they need some finish work. The amount and degree of finish work will vary widely. There are very few high quality pieces out there and even thise will require fitting and finishing of some sort.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemihead

And a used metal hood will need finishing work also.I have had fiberglass parts in the past and I have had friends also who had fiberglass, and granted they do need some extra work but if they are prepped right and mounted and treated right , i have no problem with them.
It is easy to say a person would do this or do that when they already have one but I think for the guys that want one( and there is alot) it is a
cost effective alternative to buying a rusted out , dinged and dented piece.
As to if this hood should be reproduced, look at the production numbers for 71-74.Those were some of the biggest Charger years.
Now please nobody take this personally, but why all the fuss about a Fiberglass or Repro-ing this hood?Same with the cut out valances?
Is there people out there sitting on these originals and are worried if they are repro-ed the bottom will fall out of the market?
I truely wish it would.
  Led Zeppelin

The Ghoul

Quote from: twilt on May 24, 2006, 11:01:02 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7193.0.html

Most fiberglass reproduction parts will need a LOT of prep work to be made presentable.

That's where you have to do homework to find a good manufacture.
I have had nothing but good reports about VFN stuff.
But you have got to understand that most fiberglass stuff was made for drag cars where they just have to look presentable from the bleachers at the strip. So if your buying 'pin on' stuff and hoping it will look as good as the stock metal one you got issues.

The VFN bolt on bulge has gotten great reviews from people that I trust, so I will be buying one of them hopefully before the end of summer.
A metal hood will require just as much prep as a good fiberglass part.

You are forgetting that
   1- the majority of bad reports you hear from people about fiberglass stuff is from the minority of people. Possibly because they didn't know what they were getting into, or didn't get a chance to look at the product before buying it.
   2- Metal parts are very seldom prime and paint, and very often, skim coat with putty sand down and build up around your seam between hood and fenders to get a good   
       fitment, which is the same work that you'd do with the fiber one.
   3-Any metal hood you buy is going to be pulled from nasty scrap yard or some ones back yard and is going to require some type of stripping and that's not even assuring it will be straight or that there isn't putty under that old paint.

I will give metal hoods this, they will split and crack less often and will not 'dry rot' even if taken care of properly.   

I'm sorry I am not trying to be difficult here but if your like me and don't care that your car isn't exactly stock I see no point in paying more for a part that other people would love to have. After all as stated before I am not fooling any one by putting a bulge hood on my SE so what's the point of paying big money and putting a lot of work into a metal one.
Quote from: twilt on May 24, 2006, 10:42:09 PM
Most of the people around here  recommending fiberglass hoods have never owned one.  :Twocents:
Your right never had a fiberglass hood.
But fiberglass bumper, fenders, airfoils, rear bumpers, and trunk for my import with no issues.
Its all who you by it from dude.
As with any thing, start with crap, work with it forever, and still run the risk of it turning back to crap over time.
Most people that recommend ageist fiberglass buy one bad product (usually the cheapest pin-on one that they can find) get frustrated and badmouth all fiberglass products as a lumped group. :Twocents:
Know what your buy and talk to people that have had them and find one that works best for you.

mikesbbody

Thanks again guys keep the info coming this is exactly what i needed advice and experience from guys who have been there tried that twilt, like you i have a se charger and like you (if i read you comment right) my car isnt numbers matching and im not worried. I just like the look of the bulge hood so much more and so far its been a headache for me! maybe that will answer hemihead's question about what all the fuss is about over the likes of bulge hoods, dual cut out rear valances etc the fact is, they are hard to find parts (espicially in good condition) for some of us, fiberglass may be the only way we will get ahold of these parts some guys may be looking to clone their cars into rt or super bee clones but hemihead, i didnt take it personal at all (the comment about why the fuss) alot of these things in my mind make mopars the best! As for having bad experience with fiberglass alot of people wont bother with something after a bad experience (and who can blame them) if i had a bad experience with fiberglass i would certainly think twice about it before going down that road again. I guess unless you are really lucky and find a straight, rust free steel piece chances are your in for some prep work but...(from what i have read) your probably in for just as much (possibly more?) prep work with the fiberglass piece (I cant comment as ive never had any fiberglass parts) thanks again guys for your comments and experience mike. 

twilt

Here is a link to another post.  Scroll down and  read what drop top has to say about fiberglass parts. This is coming from a man that is very well respected around here and does body and paint for a living.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,1224.0.html

My sole intent here is to help people, who dont know better,  to make well thought out decisions.
In my opinion buying glass is spending a dollar trying to save a dime.