News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1st Post Covid car show

Started by lloyd3, April 24, 2021, 12:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

My 17-year old dragooned me into attending a car show in Aurora last night at the Sonic. The car is pretty filthy and in needof a little love, but we went anyway. It was a bit cool and windy, but well attended. A nice mix of vehicles showed up, ranging from old pick-ups to a max-wedge car, a GTO, and a couple of Vettes

Kern Dog

Glad to hear of that. I took Ginger to a show last Saturday. Great weather, nice to be out and in the mix again.   :2thumbs:
I was the only Charger and one of maybe 7 Mopars out of 100-120 cars.

lloyd3

Mine is usually the only Charger. I hear about lots of ongoing projects from the regulars and I have seen 2 or 3 other 2nd Gen cars out and about but I seldom see one at the little local shows my son likes to attend.  Almost no masks at last night's gathering, way less than the number of Mustangs in attendance.

Ghoste

Good for your son and good for you too.  We need to get back to car shows.

Wingnut426

I went to a cruise tonight. I had the only Hemi Superbird, oh well. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

lloyd3

Other than Coffee and Cars, this was our 1st show in many years. Very impromptu, very freeform, but seemingly with regulars who knew each other well. Vast spectrum of vehicles, everything from older VW bugs to a Model A rat rod, to a 1979 D200 pickup, to a '64 Max wedge. Kids, dads (& moms), and old guys, black, white and brown. Everybody was pleasant and respectful. No rocket scientists but no morons either. Even lots of project cars with very nice engine rooms and little else. A very nice change from the isolation we've been subjected too for the last year and a half.  The ride home had a knucklehead with a healthy sounding newer Camaro that played tag with me on a busy 6-lane, trying to get a rise out of me. Hard to resist the impulse to not even make a hard pull or two but traffic was just nuts, so we just trundled home for a late dinner.  Spring is clearly on the way.

EccentricMagpies

I'm not exactly sure when 'Post Covid' began, but went to a car show last fall and it was the 1st annual for that town.  Drove my car there and it was amazing on the number of cars that showed up in a town of less than 1500.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Kern Dog

Quote from: lloyd3 on April 24, 2021, 11:25:13 PMKids, dads (& moms), and old guys, black, white and brown. Everybody was pleasant and respectful.

The last two events that I attended, I offered to let kids sit in the Charger for pictures. In two separate instances, I let teenage guys sit in the car. Both were the most shocked at the offer compared to all others. Both were black guys. I figured that they were just people and to encourage their interest in cars was a good thing.
I only mention their race because they were the ones that seemed the most surprised at the offer to sit in the car for pictures from their Dad's. The other kids seemed happy but not all that surprised by the offer.
I'm not trying to say that I am some ambassador for the white race but that it was a good feeling to just see them as kids and to forget the media blitz of racial tension. If a kid of any race shows interest in classic cars, I'm going to encourage it and support the kid's ideas.