News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyway to check if your cam is worn without pulling engine?

Started by AKcharger, December 19, 2020, 03:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Have to pull engine to paint bay. If there's ever a time to change it its now BUT if its good don't wanna mess with it.

Any tricks? Vacuum test perhaps?

Nacho-RT74

With valve covers out measuring the valve lift? Dunno if using hyd tappers would get a correct measure.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

INTMD8

Best would be remove the intake manifold. Mechanical you could measure at the rockers but you won't have a visual of the cam.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

AKcharger

Thanks guys, yeah those came to mind, I was hoping something else  :scratchchin:

XH29N0G

Why can't you remove the rocker arm assembly and then measure from the pushrod? 

It would require some way to hold the pushrod so it didn't flip about, but I would think that could be figured out.  Even with the hydraulics, I would think you could at least get the lift.

If you drop a pushrod into the valley or something else you have other problems. 

Is there a reason to suspect the cam? 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

bee1971

First post said your pulling the engine anyways for paint ?

You could always do a simple compression check before yanking out the motor

Then if you suspect something based on low compression , then you know what you have to do

AKcharger

XH - That was my thinking, I was going to measure all the rockets for uniform measurement but that will on;y find gross errors
Bee- Correct, Paint is done but I kept car intact and drivable do bay looks horrible in comparrison. I'm trying to make a comprehensive plan to pull-paint-reinstall engine in a 3 day period to limit down time, I'll put compression test on the list!

The Delema of course is there's a host of things to do to the engine while it's out is I wanted...SOOO much easier BUT you enter the "rabbit hole" of "well while this is out you should do this...now that that's out of the way you should do that, well now that you changed that you HAVE to change this.." and on and on and on

metallicareload99

Quote from: AKcharger on December 19, 2020, 03:25:25 AM
Have to pull engine to paint bay. If there's ever a time to change it its now BUT if its good don't wanna mess with it.

Any tricks? Vacuum test perhaps?

Flat tappet cam? I would definitely take off the intake and turn the motor over with the starter! Make sure the lifters are rotating
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

AKcharger

[quote author=metallicareload99 link=topic=139116.msg1722871#msg1722871 date=1608575897

Flat tappet cam? I would definitely take off the intake and turn the motor over with the starter! Make sure the lifters are rotating
[/quote]

Easy enough I guess

metallicareload99

Quote from: AKcharger on December 21, 2020, 08:53:48 PM

Easy enough I guess

Absolutely, I had a lifter that wouldn't rotate. When the cam was pulled, that lobe had lost a lot of lift
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth