News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Random "Why would someone do this" post

Started by AKcharger, December 04, 2020, 09:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

This Car caught my eye tinking it was one of those charger convertables that people have made. But the more I looked at it the more I thought " Why would someone spend a BOATLOAD of time and even more money to make a unique custom car that seems cobbled together? I don't intend to be mean and I'll be the 1st to say "it's your car do what you want with it" I'm just wondering did someone really intend to spend like 5 years and $70K+ to make a VERY well crafted  68/69/70 bench seat colum shift car with no radio, heat, windshield wipers or even a roof!   :popcrn:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger/324401596285?hash=item4b87d7877d:g:a14AAOSwK2VfgH17

metallicareload99

It looks good, but yeah, totally impractical. Then when you start to look closer, it seems they used whatever they had on hand. And if they didn't have the part or it was unusable just leave it off the car  :coolgleamA:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

DownZero

To each their own. It really doesn't look bad. Would look even better if it was a black interior. Kinda like it.

b5blue

Door handles outside and an emergency brake would be nice additions.  :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

"Cobbled together" obviously has different meaning for some. Looks to be well thought out to me.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 04, 2020, 01:02:10 PM
"Cobbled together" obviously has different meaning for some. Looks to be well thought out to me.

Did you see the dash panel around the gauges in the picture looking at the steering wheel ?

Another picture you can see the red covering on the driver door arm rest already coming off
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

timmycharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 04, 2020, 01:06:31 PM

Did you see the dash panel around the gauges in the picture looking at the steering wheel ?

Another picture you can see the red covering on the driver door arm rest already coming off

Yea, and the rust on the horn ring looks pretty well thought out as well  :nana:

RallyeMike

I think it's pretty well built but showing some wear.
As far as practicality, there is lot of that lacking in the custom car world - it's often forsaken for the cool factor / design plan.
Taste - well, that's a personal thing  :eek2:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

b5blue

I think someone worked with what they had.  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

This car was built about 15 years ago.  

When people look at it they usually miss another huge change - the entire rear end of the body has been widened by a couple inches.  Look at how the tops of the quarters are wider than the gas caps.  Look at the taillights in relation to the corner-cap areas.

MoparMike68

Quote from: b5blue on December 04, 2020, 12:28:11 PM
Door handles outside and an emergency brake would be nice additions.  :scratchchin:
It's a convertible who needs door handles   :shruggy:    :lol:

JB400

The builder was looking for this car at one point.

hemi-hampton

I guess nobody noticed the grill & bumper fit like crap with tight gaps on one side & gaps so wide on the other side you could run a herd of Cattle through them. :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 04, 2020, 08:58:30 PM
...the grill & bumper fit like crap with tight gaps on one side & gaps so wide on the other side you could run a herd of Cattle through them. :shruggy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

darbgnik

Not too sure about the painted parts of the interior, but I really dig the red seats and door cards!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

I will never refer to the door panels as "Door Cards" !  :nana:

stripedelete

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 04, 2020, 08:58:30 PM

I guess nobody noticed the grill & bumper fit like crap with tight gaps on one side & gaps so wide on the other side you could run a herd of Cattle through them. :shruggy:

Welcome to 60's 70's Detroit.......

XH29N0G

Question about headrests.  I have one that looks like one of those, and one that has a chrome band around it.  I always thought the one that looked like one of those was a repair.  Can someone school me on whether they are just a different version of the headrest.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

MoparMike68

JR

I remember this car being in a bunch of magazines back then. I think it was rescued as a bare shell.

I like it. But I definitely get the impression it was meant to be a car show cruiser more than a functional driver.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Lennard

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 05, 2020, 05:09:04 PM
Question about headrests.  I have one that looks like one of those, and one that has a chrome band around it.  I always thought the one that looked like one of those was a repair.  Can someone school me on whether they are just a different version of the headrest.
They just painted the whole headrest, including the chrome band red.

XH29N0G

Lennard,  It looks to me like they have a cover.  The one on the driver's side of mine has a similar cover.  I can ask my dad about the one on my car.  My guess is that it is is some sort of repair.  The similarity made me wonder whether there was a swap, or maybe a repair kit, that had been used.  Not a big deal.  I actually like this car, even seeing the thing that could have been done differently.

Or maybe it protects us. 

chargervert

I prefer my convertible Chargers with a folding functional top,and door handles!

XH29N0G

That is this one (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,71927.0.html) right?  And sort of based on the 2 seater concepts of the late 1960's.  The one that appears to have a woman with an umbrella.

Or maybe it protects us.