News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Shake.....

Started by Canadian1968, November 09, 2020, 08:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Something that has always kind of bothered me since I put the car back together, is that the engine has always had a little shake to it when idling. 

I really don't think its is a tuning issue, car runs great. I am more so wondering if its the motor mounts I put in. They are just regular rubber ones I got off Rockauto  .  Will a cheap mount allow for a bit of "quiver"??

Or am I expecting to much, and that just the nature of 7.2L at idle !

XH29N0G

See what other people say. 

I think it depends a lot on your set up, how you have the idle set, and idle speed. I found, for instance, that my engine ran much more smoothly less shaking once I really figured out how to set the initial advance for what the cam I have likes.  This also cleaned up the mixture. This is just one example, but I think it changed for me.  I have one solid motor mount, and I do not find it objectionable.     

I also do not know how much shake is too much, or how to measure it for a fair comparison.  I am willing to start my car this weekend and film a cup of coffee sitting on the little glovebox door cup holder....  Any excuse.... :lol:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

7.2 ??? Come on, dude...That is just wrong! A 440 in the beginning, a 440 today!   :brickwall:

Depending on the camshaft, it could idle smooth or have a bit of a shake to it.

Canadian1968

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 10, 2020, 01:23:17 AM
7.2 ??? Come on, dude...That is just wrong! A 440 in the beginning, a 440 today!   :brickwall:

Depending on the camshaft, it could idle smooth or have a bit of a shake to it.

lol need to chill a bit captian America .  Whenever someone is asking about the car and engine I tell them it's 440 CID and watch there face.  Then I simply say that's 7.2L for today's cars and their eyes just pop out of their head.
For those that dont know cars well it's easier for them to relate .

Sorry if I insulted u some how  :cheers:

maxwellwedge

They sprung the metric system on us literally overnight in grade school. It was supposed to be instituted by both Canada and the US. The US backed out the last minute.
I still find myself converting  Celsius to Fahrenheit and Kilometers to Miles. Litres? All I know is that 4 litres are approximately one US gallon.
I know 5 litres is approx 302-305 cubic inches. I guess I didn't want to let go - Lol.