News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New box in town - Tremec TKX

Started by OzCharger69, November 07, 2020, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzCharger69

Hi all,

Short time lurker here. Waiting for my charger to be shipped down under. She's an auto and weighing my options for a manual swap. SST seem to have a comprehensive kit and Jeff quoted for a TKO-600 swap. The new TKX throws a spanner in the works. Will be interesting to know how it fares compared to the TKO and T56.

https://shiftsst.com/tremec-tkx-5-speed

XH29N0G

The TKX Looks interesting.

Regarding the TKO600, I had to do some massaging/cutting to deal with the top of the TKO above and beyond what the people who put it in there did.  I also needed the step in the tail shaft to clear one of the rails that runs across and above the transmission (sorry - do not know the technical name for it).  I bought my TKO from another vendor and then found SST that had the notch cut and a different shifter.  They modified mine and it was reasonable in my opinion (I was satisfied with their work and business practices).  I modified their shifter by putting in stronger springs to center it, but that is for my own taste and because it helps me with the 2-3 shift and alignment.  Also made a shorter shift handle because that made a difference.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

I didn't think that the regular Tremec 5 speed required any cutting except for the shifter hole.
Maybe this trans is for the A body crowd ?

XH29N0G

For mine, there were two things that could explain it.  First, the people who put it in replaced toe floor pans.  They did not replace them with the shifter hump that was in there previously.  Having the shifter hump might have made a difference.  Second, it did fit, but the driveline angles were not right and the tail needed to be raised to make them right.  For the tail to be raised, the transmission needed the notch SST uses and some of the parts on the top corners and the top needed to be clearanced.  Not by much at all.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mike DC

Define "fitting" in the chassis.  

From what I recall, the TKO fits without cutting, but only by pointing the rear of the trans down a few degrees.  If you want the driveshaft's front U-joint located at the stock height then the TKO won't clear the tunnel.    

------------------------------------------------

This TKX looks like a TKO with a streamlined case.  That may or may not be useful for our cars, depending on where they managed to trim it. 

c00nhunterjoe

375instroke

I found this pic.  TKX – in green, overlaid on the TKO-in blue.

Mike DC

QuoteKindof looks like the origonal t5.

A stroker B/RB would eat a T5 for breakfast.  

This new one has gotta be a TKO derivative.  That pic seems to confirm it.  The gearsets are almost the same too. 

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 08, 2020, 03:15:17 PM

QuoteKindof looks like the origonal t5.

A stroker B/RB would eat a T5 for breakfast.  

This new one has gotta be a TKO derivative.  That pic seems to confirm it.  The gearsets are almost the same too. 

I meant the case size and shape.

Mike DC

Oh.

Yeah, it does visually look like a T5.

They added a .72 overdrive gear ratio this time.  That's nice.   

chargered

Quote from: 375instroke on November 08, 2020, 03:14:22 PM
I found this pic.  TKX – in green, overlaid on the TKO-in blue.

Nice....they trimmed that down quite a bit.  That should help with any tunnel clearance issues.