News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A833 shift linkage question

Started by Stretch, April 25, 2020, 06:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Do any of you know what shift rods I will need to swap my A833 over to a A833OD in my bench seat '73 Charger rallye. Along with the current hurst super shifter. (the OE bench seat rods work perfictly with the super shifter).

It looks as though only the 3-4- rod will be a issue do to the lever being on the lower side of the fork shaft rather than the top.
My first thought was to use the linkage from the truck shifter. That set up uses a bracket that moves the shifter up and reward off of the front mounting location of the transmission but the truck bracket does not come back as far as the bench seat bracket so those rods are way to short.

I am not at all worried about the durability of the OD. The 340 in my car is 100% stock and original. The car has never seen track time and likley never will.  I live in a very rural area so most of the driving is at highway speeds. With the 355 gears and the P235-60-15s the highway R.P.M. is close to 3000 R.P.M.  If my math is correct the OD trans should bring that highway RPM down to about 1700 RPM.

I have the truck OD here along with a OD bell out of an F-body. Since I have most of the parts I thought I would try the OD and see if I like it. If I don't I'm only out the cost of the rods and some time.

Thanks.
Jason

I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

RallyeMike

Jason,

When I installed the 833OD in my 72 I used all the stock rods (However it was the long rod shifter). Whether I used the stock tabs on the forks I can't remember, but I just thought I'd suggest that you can maybe flip over the 833 3-4 tab or use the 3-4 tab off the OD trans to make the stock 3-4 rod work. The slots in various tabs have different orientations so you should be able to use one that will move the rod mounting hole close enough for your stock rod to fit. If you completely hit a wall, I have a crate of random tabs and rods and maybe I can hook you up with one that will do the trick.

Mike
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Stretch

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 25, 2020, 09:39:35 AM
Jason,

When I installed the 833OD in my 72 I used all the stock rods (However it was the long rod shifter). Whether I used the stock tabs on the forks I can't remember, but I just thought I'd suggest that you can maybe flip over the 833 3-4 tab or use the 3-4 tab off the OD trans to make the stock 3-4 rod work. The slots in various tabs have different orientations so you should be able to use one that will move the rod mounting hole close enough for your stock rod to fit. If you completely hit a wall, I have a crate of random tabs and rods and maybe I can hook you up with one that will do the trick.

Mike

Thank you Sir.  I have a ton of various shift rods and 7 or 8 4 speeds around. I also have a few shifters and a extra bench seat B-Body shifter bracket. I think I'll dig through the mess of goodies (I just moved so everything is kinda just pilled up in my pole barn). and then I'll mount the OD transmission on my engine stand, mount the bench seat bracket and shifter to the transmission and just sort it out. 

Thanks again for the advice.

Jason
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!