News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Compression test

Started by metallicareload99, February 12, 2020, 01:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

Dumb question, but by removing the carb/throttle body for compression testing am I "invalidating" the results?  I know you are supposed to hold the throttle open, but it's convenient to remove it completely before say pulling the whole engine.  Thanks for any advice
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

XH29N0G

I think that would do the same thing to manifold pressure as wiring the carb open.  There is also an issue with cranking speed and engine temperature.  I know cranking speed and carb being wired open make a big difference.  I do not know about engine temperature.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BSB67

I'm always amazed how little the open carb verses closed carb changes the readings.  Same with temperature.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

metallicareload99

This has been how I was doing it the last couple of times, but I never thought it would be an issue until the last time. I got a couple of cylinders that were 170+ psi which seemed extraordinarily high for a 9:1 motor.

As far as temperature, I don't recall ever being able to test my engines hot. Matter of circumstance that the car is in storage and cant be brought up to operating temperature. Good points about battery and starter condition, as I'd think those would have a large impact
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth