News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Daytona Values in 2019

Started by bad88t-top, September 26, 2019, 03:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad88t-top

Daytona values:   Going up or down over the next 20 years?

Thanks   Bill
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

WINGMAN

We need pics and do you have the vin#  vary hard for us wing car lovers to make a judgment with no photos.  (Wingman)   Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Aero426

Quote from: bad88t-top on September 26, 2019, 03:13:51 PM
So,  I'm looking at an original low mile Daytona, approximately 8700 documented miles.   2 owner car, current owner since 1972 and been sitting since 1973.   single repaint due to the original paint being so bad, red wing and interior car.   All original and matching numbers, original down to the distributor and carb.   auto on column w/ buddy seat.  magnum original wheels with rings.  
I'm trying to determine value so I can make a descent offer to get the car.  I probably only have one chance.
It's a very nice single paint survivor, interior is near perfect including carpet and headliner.   Paint represents well but I'd probably end up restoring the entire car in a few years like I do all my 70 Chargers; concours
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion and price ranges before I go for the buy.  
Thanks   Bill

I would suggest you remove any details of the cars location from your original post.      The black Tahoes may already be on the way.     

The most recent project Daytona sold for about $95k in non-running condition.    It needed collision remediation work, but was rust free and had some good NOS parts, ready for restoration.    Running driving Daytonas are now well at or above the $200k +/- for asking prices depending on the condition and level or restoration.    The highest level restored cars are asking something that starts with a three. So as you can see, there is a huge range.  

If you found an off the radar Daytona with very low miles, a red interior and an original red wing, that would be something special.   But it's hard to put a price on it with so few other details about the condition.     What is the original color?    Is the car in running condition?      What is the condition of the body, floors and trunk?   

Mopar John

Bill,
I find it interesting that you ask about a value on a low mile Daytona not driven since 1973 with a column shift and buddy seat!
In the next few days prior to the aero reunion I was planning to announce our Daytona for sale.
With a lot of items in common I have decided to let the cat out of the bag here and possibly help you come up with a value?
Our B5 Daytona has only been driven 50 miles since 1973 and the spedometer shows the original 24,000 miles and was not rolled back at restoration!
It is a column shift buddy seat car B7 interior with hub caps.
It's hard to tell how many hub cap cars are out there with so many Daytonas wearing the nice looking 1968 style magnum 500 wheels.
The R4 and V2 Daytonas make up the largest chunk of the Daytona population with F6 not far behind.
Then you have the middle of the road production B5 and Y2 with around 20 each.
After that is all the differant colors with around 10 or less!
When you factor stripe and interior colors they are all rare.
Back to our B5 Daytona, it is one of 5 OE GOLD restored cars certified by one of the longest running programs put together by the late Keith Rohm at the Mopar Nationals.
In addition it is one of those same 5 Daytonas to receive CONCOURS GOLD at the highly respected MCACN show!
It was restored in 2008-2009 with many of the original and NOS parts bought in the 1982-2009 time frame.
The price on our Daytona is $295,000.00.
Now you can take that number and work it to help come up with an offer.
MJ

held1823

If I bought the right lottery ticket, John's car will add another 150 miles to the odometer between his house and mine
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

billssuperbird

Redbird

This is where I'm looking for the bubble to burst.

Money is relatively too easy to lend.
The generation that has owned the cars is dying out daily. Crippling nursing home bills are approaching.
The later generations are looking as if all they will want are electric cars, and besides they are all lent up.
Those selling cars are working to whip up a frenzy.
Asking prices of the cars have skyrocketed lately.

I'm guessing I have an idea how this will end.

It seems to me like a good time not to put money into this.

Birdflu

Quote from: Redbird on September 27, 2019, 08:22:24 AM

The generation that has owned the cars is dying out daily. Crippling nursing home bills are approaching.
The later generations are looking as if all they will want are electric cars, and besides they are all lent up.

Well, there you have it! I just hope the good Lord let's me play another 30-40 years on this planet so I can see if this comes to fruition! If so, I guess my boys will have a fleet of Mopars to sell to their peers!

Redbird

I'd like to be around another 40 years too, debt free. I already have enough toys. Time is the valuable commodity to me.

Birdflu

Aero426

The car market has been riding high for a good long while now.       Boomer loved cars are bring priced like there is no end to demand in sight.     It was also like this before the bottom fell out in 2008.     The bigger elephant in the room is the aging of the people who have the emotional connection with these kinds of cars.   

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Birdflu

Quote from: Aero426 on September 27, 2019, 09:33:52 AM

The car market has been riding high for a good long while now.       Boomer loved cars are bring priced like there is no end to demand in sight.     It was also like this before the bottom fell out in 2008.     The bigger elephant in the room is the aging of the people who have the emotional connection with these kinds of cars.   

You hit it on the head Doug! The emotional connection is what drives this market! That's why I firmly believe the 2nd gen Chargers are forever going to be sought after by many younger generations due to their connection to Hollywood. In the following years, it will be interesting to see if 2nd gen Charges will continue to put $$$ distance between their B-body brothers like the Road Runner and Super Bee!

Aero426

The odd and changing  world we live in.   Had to get a haircut tonight at the mall.  It wasn't particularly crowded.   But this is the Apple store.    Like a mob scene, it had to have the most traffic of any store, including the anchors on a Friday night.    I walked in and counted 82 people, not including employees.    Most of them under 35.    I am sure most couldn't name a 1960's muscle car if asked.      

Mytur Binsdirti

People don't run their cell phones, rather the cell phone runs the person. Far too many have become enslaved to them & really what they are is a 21st century ball and chain.

Ghoste

Ive been working in the classic car auction business now for just over 20 years and I can only say two things.  First, if you are buying it as an investment with a mind to what it will bring in 10 to 20 years, you are buying it for the wrong reasons.  There is nothing wrong with trying to buy it like an investment but do it because you love the car and make your offer accordingly.
Second, I agree with the others 100%, we are headed for a crash fueled partly by market cycle and partly by aging demographic.  Each auction now I talk to more and more consignors getting out because they cant get in.  They are selling cars they never drive and they are selling them at no reserve.  50's cars are going down now and 30s and 40s cars are really going down.  Not so long ago, those guys were turning their noses up at the idea muscle cars would be worth big money.
Muscle cars are next.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 27, 2019, 10:45:34 PM
The odd and changing  world we live in.   Had to get a haircut tonight at the mall.  It wasn't particularly crowded.   But this is the Apple store.    Like a mob scene, it had to have the most traffic of any store, including the anchors on a Friday night.    I walked in and counted 82 people, not including employees.    Most of them under 35.    I am sure most couldn't name a 1960's muscle car if asked.      

At first I thought I'd read a typical Doug story, full of facts and wonderfully written...

Then I got to the part about a hair cut!     :smilielol:       :rofl:

(couldn't resist buddy!)  

Seriously, you hit the nail on the head.   :2thumbs:

:cheers:

p.s. local mall had Sears close last year and recently the Lord and Taylor. Penney and Macy's are the 2 anchors left standing.  Small stores have closed here and there, making the mall look like a Halloween jack-o-lantern's smile. 

taxspeaker

In the last 10 years I have owned the following:
1. 70 Charger R/T Hemi lovingly restored over 5 years
2. 65 Barracuda restored to a "T"-absolutely perfect
3. 70 numbers match AAR Cuda-also absolutely perfect
4. Alaska Highway Superbird & 3 other Birds and a Daytona

Having been to literally dozens and dozens of local shows where you can actually gauge the general public's interest I have observed the following. Now remember, these are not national or "Mopar" events aimed at the Mopar nut.

A little bit of interest in #1 because of beautiful paint job
Other than guys 60 years old and above no interest whatsoever in #2
Less interest in the AAR than either of the above by the general public, shockingly so, even though it was a show-winner and stopper

The Wing Cars however draw incredible crowds OF ALL AGES consistently, every time and we are besieged by requests to bring even 1 to any local show within 100's of miles. The interest isn't old guys (although they are too), the interest is boys and young men from 15-35, young women 25-35 and literally everyone else. These are cars they recognize from the Cars movies and continual international and US media coverage of these unique beasts.

I have sold # 1,2 and 3 for various reasons, but an underlying factor is that I agree these cars have lost the interest of all but old guys and the occasional Mopar hard-core fan and I never actually had a psychological attachment to the #2 or 3, I just enjoyed restoring them. The Hemi R/T I sold because I am physically unable to work on it much now and my son lovingly suggested it did not bother him.

The Wing Cars have a clear emotional attachment for me personally, but for the general public as well. Having been chased for pictures all over North America by all ages, particularly younger Americans and Canadians, both sexes (many who love!! the car but alas, not the fat guy) I have personal verification by literally hundreds of people that the interest in WIng Cars is extremely powerful, continuing and growing.

SO Muscle Cars in general enjoy them, but they are already in a declining market, but I disagree on WIng Cars-they continue to appreciate and they aren't making anymore of them. In discussion with wing care buyers and sellers this market also does not appear to be fueled by borrowed money, but by hard cash.

Of course I could be wrong and maybe 70 Chevelles are the future ;) ;)
Bob

Birdflu

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 28, 2019, 01:46:22 PM

Of course I could be wrong and maybe 70 Chevelles are the future ;) ;)
Bob

Dang...I sold all of the Chevelles I ever owned!  :brickwall: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

odcics2

Probably not good to confuse interest in wing cars and the ability or want to actually buy and own a wing car.   :Twocents:
Heck, I remember the days of wing cars way under 5K, running and driving!   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Priced out of reach for many now??   :shruggy:

Here's a good example of interest:
  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Hemi-Engine-426-Short-block-Factory-original-w-tag-crate-w-pistons-rods/183765335357?hash=item2ac9447d3d:g:vZYAAOSwwTFcMOVZ

480+ WATCHERS.   Not a buyer yet.   At some point, the seller and a buyer WILL get together.  Maybe!!!   :shruggy:

Values have gone up and down over the years.  A lot of things drive the wing market, as mentioned above. 
Back when they were new, they looked bizarre on the street.   Still do!   Nothing else like them! 
If nothing else, the look is what will keep them getting talked about!    :METAL:

69_500

Quote from: bad88t-top on September 26, 2019, 03:13:51 PM
Daytona values:   Going up or down over the next 20 years?

Thanks   Bill

Bill, I told you almost a year ago what I figured the value of that car is. My figure is still the same as it was then.

Personal opinion is 20 years from now most muscle cars prices will be drastically down. Some may not be but honestly if it's not a Hemi, or a really rare desireable car I think their values will fall on their faces in 20 years.

A383Wing

Quote from: Birdflu on September 28, 2019, 02:26:40 PM

Dang...I sold all of the Chevettes I ever owned!  :brickwall: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I fixed that for you....  :2thumbs:

Bryan

Mytur Binsdirti

The original post from the OP has been changed, so what's the dealeo on the Bangor ME Daytona; did he buy it?