News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine break-in, freshly built 383

Started by CloedFL, April 20, 2019, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CloedFL

Dear all,

Trying to figure out what i have to consider in particular for the break-in of my freshly built 383 engine.
I have the Orange box in combination with a Firecore installed, timing currently adjusted to 3 degree.

When first starting the engine, i have currently found out that the most common break-in procedure is:
30 mins with varying rpm 2000 - 3000, vac. advance disconnected

Questions:
a) By adjusting the RPM with the idling screw, do you fully open the choke manually or are you breaking-in without choke / electric choke hooked up?
b) For the timing, what are you targeting for ? Would it be the best to go directly to 3000 rpm , adjust timing to 34 degreed btdc and then vary rpm?

Leak test etcpp already done, ready to start :)

BR
Claudio

flyinlow

A) You can crank the  fast idle screw up  to about 2000rpm or the curb idle screw. Just make sure the choke open as it should.
B) 20-30* BTDC at 2000-3000 rpm will work . The engine is not under load so its not that critical. 34* at 3000 will work. The  rpms are for good oil throwing at the cam/lifters.

Recommendations:
Helper, fire extinguisher, car on wheels ,not jack stands. large fan for radiator cooling, exhaust hooked up so you can hear the engine if making bad noises. don't forget the transmission fluid if applicable.

Recommendations if you want to get fancy:

Warm up oil bottles in Wife's bathtub for an hour. Fill engine with 100*F. oil then prime with drill . Drill small hole in thermostat flange to help burp /fill cooling system. (or remove upper hose an use a screwdriver to slightly depress the valve while filling the radiator until it overflows the thermostat housing.) Static time engine , mark distributor base /block to reinstall after priming. One less thing to do after engine start.

ACUDANUT

"Orange box in combination with a Firecore installed".  Can't help you aftermarket parts.  IMO stick with Chrysler ignition. :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 25, 2019, 11:08:17 AM
Quote from: flyinlow on April 24, 2019, 09:05:33 PM

car on wheels ,not jack stands.

Why?

So the car could be backed/pushed  out of the garage if a fire started. I had a leaking carb catch fire once with the car on jack stands. A bucket of wet rags saved me from possibly burning my Dads new garage down at 2AM on a cold Ohio night. I was a teenager at the time but lesson learned. Outside is a better idea.