News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sector shaft

Started by poppa, June 21, 2018, 11:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Sector shaft support/bracket for steering , from Firm Feel (I think) , worth the money?? Anyone try this?
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

375instroke

That's a very large piece of steel.  I can't imagine how much force is required to bend it, and if it would have any effect on the tires.  When parked, turning the steering wheel quickly, and looking at the box, you can see some movement, but that's the K-frame moving.  Strengthen it up first, and at that, when driving the car, there won't be that much force since the tires are rolling.  Is everything else sorted out in your suspension?  Are torsion bars and sway bar big enough?  Are you using good shocks?  Is there enough positive caster?  Are you using 11/16" tie rods?  Is bump steer at least below .030" per inch of travel?  Then there's tires, but you'll have to weigh performance vs. looks for yourself.  The crappier the tire, the less everything else matters.

poppa

Looking for different front tires already , ordering a Firm Feel steering box this weekend and waiting for the shop to let me know about the offset ball joints/alignment. Before I ordered the box , I wanted to see about the support.

375instroke

I say, to make it worthwhile, you need to gusset the K-frame around the steering box, too, because you can see it move a bit, or is this what the bearing accomplishes?  Does it prevent the box and K-frame from flexing?  I was just thinking it was strengthening the sector shaft, but maybe I have it wrong.

poppa

green69rt

I can't remember who I talked to at FF but when I was doing the K frame on my car I asked about the sector support and the K frame reinforcements.  The word I got was that both do the same thing, so get one or the other, you can do both but extra support doesn't yield much.  The sector support was intended for those who didn't want to take the K frame out and reinforce it.  You can install the sector support on the car, not so the K frame reinforcement.  I ended up with the K frame reinforcement kit and welded it up myself.