News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Caterpillar powered 68

Started by bull, May 15, 2018, 12:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Not sure if this is been posted yet, sorry if it has. Interesting setup that looks pretty clean. I think could have been wise to put the tail pipe someplace else but to each his own I guess.

I tried to post a more generic link to it but this is the only one I can find.

https://www.facebook.com/DieselPumpUK/videos/967212423460390/

Nacho-RT74

yes, we talked about maybe two months ago? can't tell it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

alfaitalia

Its Caterpillar yellow in colour....not Cat powered. That's a Merc Diesel lump in there.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Lennard

Quote from: alfaitalia on May 15, 2018, 10:53:46 AM
Its Caterpillar yellow in colour....not Cat powered. That's a Merc Diesel lump in there.
Diesel in muscle car = dumb

Kern Dog

I agree. They sound odd, smell bad and are too heavy.

bull

I get wanting to be different, ok, but why would you want black soot getting stuck to the side of your car every time you drive it?

Kern Dog

Rolling coal in a Charger???
Whuuuuut ???   :slap:

alfaitalia

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 15, 2018, 11:57:01 AM
I agree. They sound odd, smell bad and are too heavy.

Agreed....not right in a muscle car at least....except that straight six diesel weighs 211lb less than a 440.

In a DD is a bit different. Diesels rule the roost in most of Europe (at least until recent diesel scaremongering!) with well over 60% of new cars being diesel. Its all down to fuel costs. If fuel was £5.91 ($7.96 at todays exchange so that's about the same as $6.64 per smaller US gallon) in the USA....you might think differently about diesel over there!! As for V8s....lovely as they are you wont find many over here....in modern or classic cars. The fuel costs and the high emission based road tax that comes with them rules them out for most.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

myk

V8 or nothing.  Just my opinion...

70B5Cuda

I'd love to own/drive that thing. People in the U.S. just don't understand how far diesels have come. Everyone thinks that they're incredibly heavy and doggy.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

Mike DC

QuoteI'd love to own/drive that thing. People in the U.S. just don't understand how far diesels have come. Everyone thinks that they're incredibly heavy and doggy.

A regular LA small block is pretty heavy by sports car standards.  

I don't mean to crap on other people's projects.  Just pushing to keep things in perspective.  "Powerful diesel" and "light weight" don't go together. 

orange383

I think I read somewhere that this car didn't have an engine when he bought it. Going diesel was a good solution for him as he plans to use the car a lot so more cost effective!

Kern Dog

Well, that is one way to look at it but LA, Magnum and B/RB engines are not that hard to find and guess what? They FIT in these cars using FACTORY parts ! :smilielol:

BrianShaughnessy

Seen several diesel muscle cars showing up last while.     I don't like the exhaust pipe there either but as for the rest of it...  if it wasn't diesel nobody would be talking much about it.   :Twocents:

There's a Nova around locally that's done up with truck wheels / tires and  dualies...  really cool.   Well... for a Nova  :icon_smile_big:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/1970-diesel-chevy-nova-pro-diesel-dually-is-craigslist-s-heavy-duty-muscle-car-104338.html
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Lennard

::) I bet it handles great in corners. Just because you can,  doesn't mean that you should.  :Twocents:

orange383

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 26, 2018, 03:44:07 AM
Well, that is one way to look at it but LA, Magnum and B/RB engines are not that hard to find and guess what? They FIT in these cars using FACTORY parts ! :smilielol:

Isn't this one in the uk? The engines are available but not cheap to buy and not cheap to run if you do a lot of miles.