News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Dakota, Why Did You Have To Go.

Started by Ghoste, January 09, 2018, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I understand the fact that the market doesn't support offering a smaller pickup truck but surely I can't be the only one puzzled by this.  Is the buying majority truly that fixated on fully loaded fully sized gargantuan mega pickups or tiny crossover compromise vehicles with nothing in between?

LaOtto70Charger

Maybe they can bring it back now that Ford sounds to be bringing back the Ranger and Chevy has the Colorado.  I do love my Dakota.  It would have been nice to have one just a little bit wider for when I try to haul a sheet of plywood.  Actually would like either a full size or midsize with just the basics again.

Aero426

A current Dakota would likely have the performance and payload capability of what we knew as an older half ton full size pickup. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on January 09, 2018, 09:14:20 AM
I understand the fact that the market doesn't support offering a smaller pickup truck

When I couldn't find a decent used Dakota I settled for a Ford Ranger. The dealer I bought it from constantly bugs me to sell it back to them, they have a high demand and no inventory.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cdr

I had a 2001 Dakota, I loved that truck, had to sell it or the Charger, I still have the Charger :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

70 sublime

I had a 1999 V6 4X4 with 525 000 km on it before it finally melted away
Motor and transmission were never apart from new
Was a nice truck

Have a full size Ram now because I wanted to be able to pull a car trailer
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JR

Funny how things go in cycles. GM now offers a midsize pickup comparable in size to the old Dakota, with Ford set to release the new ranger this year to follow.

Also, thanks to model bloat, the current Tacoma is almost the size of a last gen Dakota.

Unless you're a diehard Mopar or no car guy, there are plenty of options superior to the last Dakota's built.

If I were a truck guy, I'd be all over a Zx2 Colorado.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Lighthorseman

Don't forget about the new Jeep pickup - the "JT" series, I believe - coming out as a 2019 model.  Im thinking that will likely do well.

I'm also thinking my 2013 Tacoma might make a nice trade-in...  :scratchchin:

BrianShaughnessy

Ma killed the Jeep Comanche way back when after acquiring Jeep / AMC because of the Dakota...   before the 4.0 Jeep motor got the good EFI, etc.    Jeep Cherokees have been pretty good to me and I think they should have continued the Comanche. Dang shame about that.

I think there was room in the market for both.    I had no use for a Dakota... especially after having to work on a certain magazine project Dak.. :/     The Comanche would have fit very nicely into my lifestyle tho :)    I just don't need a project pickup after all these years. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

JR

I completely forgot about the upcoming Wrangler pickup. They are gonna sell a million of those. May as well post a pic.

Ghoste

Quote from: Aero426 on January 09, 2018, 09:48:40 AM
A current Dakota would likely have the performance and payload capability of what we knew as an older half ton full size pickup. 

Thats about all I need.

Mike DC

It's 2018.  The industry doesn't make cheap practical utility vehicles anymore.  Not a simple pickup for $17k with durable parts and minimal computers.

We might get one imported from an unfamiliar Chinese or Indian brand.  Something they designed for their own market and then adapted to sell over here.  

I don't see this happening very soon but it's the only way I see a new cheap work truck happening at all.  GM/Ford/Mopar/Toyota won't just voluntarily make one again.  Not after getting used to selling fragile 3-ton computers on wheels for $50k.  Some other brand is gonna have to make a killing on the idea and force/embarrass them into it.

Sublime/Sixpack

I'm glad I bought my Dakota when I did (new in 2005). I've enjoyed it. The only time I wish I had a bigger truck is when towing my car hauler with a car on it up steep grades. On those occasions more torque would be nice, otherwise it does just fine.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

JB400

Considering that Jeep is becoming the new halo brand for FCA, I'd highly doubt that Dakota makes a comeback as a pick up, or Ram making a smaller pickup.  I think the new Jeep pickup is it.  Mr. M is really pushing the Jeep brand at the moment.  The only way I see Dakota coming back is if the rest of the world asks for it.

Kern Dog

Fitz73Chrgr

I don't understand the continued brand loyalty to Chrysler.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

chargerboy69

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 11, 2018, 01:38:17 AM
I don't understand the continued brand loyalty to Chrysler.

I agree completely.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

JR

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 11, 2018, 12:59:02 AM
That Chevy above is a hideous turd.

It's a free country, you can be wrong if you want. ;D

The Zx2 is the off road special of the Colorado, so it sits higher, has locking diffs, etc. The standard truck looks like this.

The GMC version looks great too.

Both outperform the old Dakota. I'd take either if I wanted a midsize truck.

alfaitalia

There are loads of mid size to choose from over here......erm.....in fact all of them are. None of the big, what you call full size, what we call 'kin enormous, where ever imported here. No demand for trucks that big when the mids can pull 3.5 ton plus.....not to mention that their thirst does not compute well with our fuel costs! Dakota was never imported here....along with most US built trucks.

This feature compares 10 or them....we can get many others;

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-pickup-trucks

At my work I have a 2010 Ford Ranger and an 2017 Isuzu D-Max......both been rock solid....and most of their work is towing...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Harper

QuoteI completely forgot about the upcoming Wrangler pickup. They are gonna sell a million of those. May as well post a pic.
yea they will.
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

JB400

Aparently, there is now a need for a midsized Ram pickup in the world:  https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/01/mexico-to-get-dakota-replacement-39323

Maybe, we'll get one in the next year or so, if the market is strong enough for it.

Ghoste

That would work for me as far as timing.  We will see.

Ryan.C

There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Fitz73Chrgr

New Ranger has been revealed and it looks pretty good to me.  Just wish the body was aluminum like the F-150.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541