News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee Crashes- Nova Scotia

Started by CAPER, August 29, 2017, 07:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

Turning off the key is better. Sliding her into neutral might stop the crash...but will roast your motor. Turning it off should prevent both.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

JB400

Neutral still gives you power steering and brakes.

Mike DC

QuoteNeutral still gives you power steering and brakes.

Exactly.

The ignition key is step#2 but neutral is step #1.  Throwing a rod is cheaper than wadding up the car.  It hurts less too.

Once you hit neutral you've got at least a few seconds before the motor blows.  That's valuable time to get the car under control.

But yeah, it's easy to armchair-quarterback other people's driving mistakes.  We weren't there.

alfaitalia

Quote from: JB400 on September 01, 2017, 05:22:30 PM
Neutral still gives you power steering and brakes.

True...but you can still steering and brake without power assistance. I cant be the only one old enough to have been driving cars without power assistance for anything!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

One click back is good, two clicks could be just as bad if the steering locks.

8WHEELER

I had this happen to me four years ago, started passing two bicycles side by side in my lane. Got in the on coming lane doing 35 mph, then gave it have throttle. Then backed off after a couple seconds, and the throttle was stuck at half way. Through it in neutral looked down and I was doing 65 mph and the tach was pegged, then had to hit the key.

Took along time to get stopped, and thank god I was on a pretty strait road. Power steering and brakes, and having to use my hand controls and wide tires I was incredibly lucky I did to hit the guard rail for sure. If my wife had not been with me to help turning as the road started to turn it would have hit the right side of my car.

Found three chunks they looked like a walnut type shell just under the throttle area. After calming my wife down, she got out and found those small chunks. Checked the throttle and it felt fine. Started it up and the lifters were talking to me, shut it down, started it again and still bad, the third time was the charm it ran fine. Thank god for my triple valve springs as well, with my build and 12:5 to 1 compression it revs fast, still running fine, must had been some mice on the engine, they can get anywhere, bastards.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Kern Dog

I took the choke plate off a Demon 850 and sometime later the car developed a sticky throttle. I found a section of choke linkage was able to move and stick in place at about 1/2 throttle.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 02, 2017, 11:33:24 PM
I took the choke plate off a Demon 850 and sometime later the car developed a sticky throttle. I found a section of choke linkage was able to move and stick in place at about 1/2 throttle.

That is ironic, I run an 850 also, but I took every bit of the choke off, and this only happened the one time in 25 years. If I had not found those chunks under the throttle rod area, I would have checked else where.
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

VegasCharger

Quote from: 440 on September 02, 2017, 12:51:31 AM
One click back is good, two clicks could be just as bad if the steering locks.

No locking steering on 1969 Charger.