News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flexplate to converter gap

Started by phantom, August 20, 2017, 10:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom

I have a gap of ca 7-8mm which i found to be a tad over 1/4" inches. (we use mm's in Norway) between the two when the converter is pushed all the way in. I have read on the old interwebs that play up to 1/4" should be ok, but i am a tad over. Thoughts?

68CoronetRT

Proper gap would be 1/8" to 3/16". You can space the flexplate to converter bolts if needed, I believe.

phantom

Thanks. Just for the record, there are no spacers or washers going in between the flexplate and engine? I just bolted it straight on  :whistling:

68CoronetRT

Right, you would add a washer in between the flexplate and converter.

John_Kunkel

Nonsense. A 1/4" pull-up is fairly normal; the pull-up distance depends a lot on the shape of the converter bowl, the bowl usually contacts the front pump housing before the drive hub bottoms in the pump.

Besides, adding a spacer between the flexplate and the converter drive lugs will place the starter ring gear too far aft.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

1/2" is not uncommon.

Don't use spacers.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

GreenMachine

What if there's no gap? I have a new lock-up 727 and new converter and when I mated the engine/trans, there was no clearance between the flexplate and converter. When I installed the converter, the splines felt tight and I had to work it in. But, the converter spun freely after installation, so I went with it. It drives fine, but I only have a couple of miles on it so far. I'm just a little worried there may be a chance of some damage when I put a heavy load on it.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Kern Dog

Then you are fine.
Pulling the converter forward enough to bolt to the flexplate will not disengage the converter from the pump drive.

phantom

Well, i added 1,2mm shims last night, now the gap is just short of 1/4". Should i take them out again?

GreenMachine

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 22, 2017, 01:33:12 AM
Then you are fine.
Pulling the converter forward enough to bolt to the flexplate will not disengage the converter from the pump drive.

What I'm worried about is the no clearance issue. After the engine/trans was mated, I have absolutely no fore/aft movement of the converter. That's making me wonder if the snout is butting up against the pump. And I've read that converters will balloon out when under a heavy load.

Sorry for the hijack phantom, I thought you're issue was solved.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

68CoronetRT

I'm just going off what PTC told me. Luckily mine was 1/8" and was fine.

For the people saying to not use spacers, my buddy who I personally helped install the motor/trans/converter had to run a washer to get the spacing correct. About 100 passes so far, 1300 wheel HP and zero issues with the trans/converter. So dont be scared of spacers!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: phantom on August 22, 2017, 01:43:15 AM
Well, i added 1,2mm shims last night, now the gap is just short of 1/4". Should i take them out again?

Yes.

phantom

PRH

QuoteWhat I'm worried about is the no clearance issue. After the engine/trans was mated, I have absolutely no fore/aft movement of the converter. That's making me wonder if the snout is butting up against the pump. And I've read that converters will balloon out when under a heavy load.

I'd b worried about a crank thrust bearing wear issue with no free play between the converter and flex plate.

I wouldn't have put it together like that.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

John_Kunkel

Sigh. As I tried to explain in my first reply, the converter pull-up distance relies on several factors but, mostly, on the shape of the bowl. When fully installed, the converter drive lugs should be at least 1/2" in from the face of the bellhousing. This should result in at least 1/8" pull-up since the rear face of the flexplate is about 3/8" from the mating surface of the block.

A  factory 12" converter can be installed so far back that the pump drive hub bottoms in the pump before the bowl contacts the pump housing...in this case there will be way more than 1/4" pull-up. Smaller converters with smaller bowls will usually contact the pump housing before the drive hub bottoms out; this is easy to check by rotating the converter when fully installed and listen/look for the scraping as the bowl contacts the pump housing. In extreme cases, the pump housing must be machined for added clearance. (see pic below)

The point is, some pull up is necessary; I would be concerned if the pull up is less than 1/8". If the pull-up is less than 1/8" it's possible that the converter drive lugs are extra thick to compensate for an engine mid-plate or the converter is manufactured incorrectly.

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 23, 2017, 02:59:44 PM
When fully installed, the converter drive lugs should be at least 1/2" in from the face of the bellhousing. This should result in at least 1/8" pull-up since the rear face of the flexplate is about 3/8" from the mating surface of the block.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph